Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hi guys,

For a while now I've been frustrated with Google image search on iOS - it used to be you could tap an image (iPhone) and it would open full screen (great), then something changed and you just had options come up to visit the site etc - and now it seems when you even try to pinch-to-zoom you get all the menus expand over the image. This for me is an example of something being "fixed" that wasn't broken and has become far less usable.

Is there an option anywhere to fix this behaviour? I'm finding on an SE it's very frustrating with the smaller screen, I don't know why it changed, or is it just me?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi guys,

For a while now I've been frustrated with Google image search on iOS - it used to be you could tap an image (iPhone) and it would open full screen (great), then something changed and you just had options come up to visit the site etc - and now it seems when you even try to pinch-to-zoom you get all the menus expand over the image. This for me is an example of something being "fixed" that wasn't broken and has become far less usable.

Is there an option anywhere to fix this behaviour? I'm finding on an SE it's very frustrating with the smaller screen, I don't know why it changed, or is it just me?
Most of the time things of this nature are how the site decides to present them (in this case Google).

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Hi guys,

Its not an iOS, iPhone or Apple behavior. It's Google. Been that way for a few months now.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/15/17017864/google-removes-view-image-button-from-search-results

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Hi guys,

Possible work around (sort of). Long pressing on the image until the menu pops up and then press copy and then paste the link into the web address field to open the full-size image.

On the iPad it is easier. Simply drag and drop the image onto the search/web address field in Safari to open the full size image. If the image is small it may actually show up even smaller, however if it is a large image it will fill the screen.

Obviously this workaround is not much use for viewing multiple images but it can be helpful if you are wanting to view 1 or 2 images.

I’m not sure how the Google app behaves but maybe this displays the full size images by default?

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks guys, I just tried via the Google app and the behaviour is simple, easy and uncluttered, exactly how it used to be on iOS. So I guess if it's not a change to Safari or iOS then it's probably intentional on Google's part to make iOS/Safari less appealing... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.