Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
What happened to those native apps that Google supposedly had "ready for launch" once the App store opened. Is the Google Search app the only thing they plan on releasing?

I am anxiously checking every day to see if there is a native Google Calendar and Google Reader app released.

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Get an Android instead

jk

But seriously though, Google probably will never released them now, because of their own phone

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
But seriously though, Google probably will never released them now, because of their own phone

I wouldn't agree - Street View for the Maps application is coming in the iPhone 2.2 firmware. It's just a matter of time IMO.

Patience is a virtue ;)

jstanier

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brighton, England.
The Android is probably the focus of most of their mobile effort now, and that's probably understandable.

However, I feel that Google aren't going to ignore the iPhone, as it has and always will have a large user base. It might just take a little bit longer for new things to arise. :)

kleinias

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
It's not like I have any real knowledge of this, but from what I've read, the whole idea behind Android is that Google wants to ensure that their applications (Maps, Search, Youtube, etc) are used on as many mobile devices as possible (hence the free Android platform).

From what I've seen, this seems to follow. Google isn't putting out their own hardware device, just the platform to ensure that they still accrue advertising revenue. Google would probably love to have as many of their applications on the iPhone as possible. It stands to reason that you might see tighter integration of those applications on an Android device, but those same applications will quickly work themselves (Apple permitting) onto the iPhone. Again, this is what it seems to me is happening, but I really only know what I read so time will tell.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
You could fool me that Google isn't putting out their own phone. Half the people here keep calling it "the Android" even though it's software, a bunch of 0s and 1s.

The G1 is the phone, Android is the OS. People aren't buying and OS X, they're buying an iPhone.

(You'll never guess **proofreading** what I do for a living)

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
Maybe they've just decided to stick with their web apps, which work great IMO. They have both Reader & Calendar, as well as many others (Translate is cool).

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
They're all nice. I love Google's iPhone Apps.

Maybe they've just decided to stick with their web apps, which work great IMO. They have both Reader & Calendar, as well as many others (Translate is cool).

Translate is my favorite. I love doing random stuff. :D

there waiting for the android to not sell and then fall back on the iphone

Yeah. They're not gona beat iPhone sales.

I wouldn't agree - Street View for the Maps application is coming in the iPhone 2.2 firmware. It's just a matter of time IMO.

Patience is a virtue ;)

It sure is. And it's hard to do. Be patient I mean..

I hate web apps. The reg. apps are soo much faster than web apps. Web apps, FTL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.