Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwillpresents

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Recently pretty much every time I search on google for my iPhone and iPad, it has started asking permission for my current location. It hasn't done this before and it's really getting on my nerves. Could someone please help with a fix?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,917

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Recently pretty much every time I search on google for my iPhone and iPad, it has started asking permission for my current location. It hasn't done this before and it's really getting on my nerves. Could someone please help with a fix?

Not sure how to help on the pop up. I switched to Yahoo for search. Hasn't disappointed me yet. Googles business model is advertising and knowing your location is valuable to them for selling ads in that market. Yahoo asked but hasn't popped up since the time. I don't know of a way to permenatly restrict location from search.

OriolesMagic

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I think it's because you have private browsing turned on. It doesn't ask me at all when I have it off. Just turned it on to experiment though, and I do indeed get the same pop up every search.

Fischkind

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
I think it's because you have private browsing turned on. It doesn't ask me at all when I have it off. Just turned it on to experiment though, and I do indeed get the same pop up every search.

Your correct op has to turn off private browsing by general settings safari and turning off private browsing. Then google won't ask it Anymore. It does cause private browsing is not storing anything like cache or history so every time he goes there it is like his first visit.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I've private browsing off and it asks me every time.

That's because of how Safari remembers (or rather, doesn't) requests from websites for your location.

It's up to the browser how you are asked for permission (if at all) and most browsers on desktop Operating Systems have an option to always allow (or deny) location requests for a specific site.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
I had this problem too and can confirm that switching off private browsing does fix it. But my question is why did this start all of a sudden? I have had my devices on private browsing for months and until like 2 weeks ago never ran into this problem...:confused:

jwillpresents

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I had this problem too and can confirm that switching off private browsing does fix it. But my question is why did this start all of a sudden? I have had my devices on private browsing for months and until like 2 weeks ago never ran into this problem...:confused:
Exactly. It started happening just recently and I've had it on private browsing pretty much forever. Perhaps a bug from iOS 6.0.2?

lemonbottle

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Exactly. It started happening just recently and I've had it on private browsing pretty much forever. Perhaps a bug from iOS 6.0.2?
Definitely not. iOS 5.1 here and google asks me to use my location every time with private browsing on. I'd really like a solution that allows private browsing AND the nag screen being disabled.

RichSinton

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
Seem to have fixed mine

Don't know if anyone has tried this but it worked for me.
Went into Safari settings and Private Browsing is ON, and is staying that way!!
Switching it off to test, made no difference. Still kept getting asked.

So then i cleared the Cookies and Data and since doing that it hasnt asked me again!!??

Corrupt Cookie somewhere I suspect

Reactions: blwinters

jDW194

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013
Canberra, Australia

So then i cleared the Cookies and Data and since doing that it hasnt asked me again!!??

Excellent ... That's fixed it for me, thanks.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I think Google made changes on the search page to ask for location and its not caching it due to privacy concerns

brettO5

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012

This worked for me. I've always had the problem of being asked for my location everytime I use the White Pages app. Clearing cookies and data has solved this thanks.

Cheers, Brett

RustyIron

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
Just fixed it on my iPhone:

Settings
Privacy
Location Services
Turn it ON for SAFARI

Of course this is all assuming you have Location Services already turned on for GOOGLE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.