Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I wonder if it has the same server running in the background that my service tech showed me at work is on the widows version.

I installed some software the other day that sends all my keystrokes to servers in the cloud, and automatically updates itself in the background (at any time) without asking first.

Oh, and other than Chrome I might also have some spyware on my system.

/s

That's the internet. All websites have advertising/trackers like google analytics. These will observe your behavior more than any browser and they're nearly impossible to avoid.

Yes, Google is very questionable about privacy, but using Safari/FireFox/etc. will not protect you. If you want to be truly anonymous buy a secondary computer, leave your IP area, set it up and browse with another IP address and never sign into anything. When you're done, destroy the computer and return home. Repeat the process each time you want to go online. :rolleyes:

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
When that release goes stable, it's also end of the line for Chrome on first generation Intel Macs. Google is not going to maintain a parallel 32bit line. In fact, most of the 32bit build and test bots have already been disabled.

(You can still run Chrome under Windows on those machines though ;))

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
When that release goes stable, it's also end of the line for Chrome on first generation Intel Macs. Google is not going to maintain a parallel 32bit line. In fact, most of the 32bit build and test bots have already been disabled.

(You can still run Chrome under Windows on those machines though ;))

Oh, good point. I didn't even think about that. What year was the last 32-bit Mac?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Chrome added DirectDraw support for Chrome recently as well. The result is that text in Chrome looks amazing now...
DirectWrite, not DirectDraw:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8431/google-updates-chrome-to-version-37-with-directwrite-support

----------

So they can track you in 64-bits now... Better than 32 I suppose if you're into that.
Newsflash: Almost all websites use google analytics or similar data collection platforms. Even macrumors.com. The browser has nothing to do with this.

If you think Google Chrome with the appropriate settings collects more data than other browsers, then prove it! I'm all ears!

----------

Acknowledging the fact that they're only 6 years behind on this. Seriously - the migration from 32-bit to 64-bit predates Chrome's first release, why the hell did it take this long? Why wasn't it 64-bit out of the gate?
Linux (for users, not for servers) and Windows had difficulties with 64-Bit support, because many older apps were 32-Bit apps. And many installations of Windows at this time were only 32-Bit. Google developed Chrome for the largest market.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Can any one tell me if somewhere hidden in the Terms agreement, I unknowingly signed and accepted that Google can track and store information about my browsing activities using their browser?

Is there a privacy advantage using Firefox instead?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You think I will use this personal information stealing piece of toxic cancer?
Not a chance. Not a chance ever.

Newsflash: Almost all websites use google analytics or similar data collection platforms. Even macrumors.com. The browser has nothing to do with this.
I refuse to support the company that does this (google analytics) in any way.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
In cases where Chrome was the last remaining 32-bit app, there were launch-time and memory-footprint penalties as 32-bit copies of all of the system libraries needed to be loaded to support Chrome.

Not if you're also using Dropbox, which is still frustratingly 32-bit.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Why do people bother with Chome?

It's clearly behind Firefox when it comes to features, and behind Safari when it comes to speed.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Chrome added DirectDraw support for Chrome recently as well. The result is that text in Chrome looks amazing now. While DirectDraw is of course only a Windows thing, does anybody know if OS X had something similar that Chrome could utilize (or has already been utilizing)?
Wrong, really.

1. It's DirectWrite not DirectDraw
2. It's made the fonts look much worse - there's a consensus on that. Underlined text looks awful, everything else is blurry. I had to disable it.

Why do people bother with Chome?

It's clearly behind Firefox when it comes to features, and behind Safari when it comes to speed.
Because I can re-install my PC any time I like, login to Google Chrome and have all my add ons, extensions, settings, passwords and bookmarks all back exactly where they were before I formatted. Also a great cross-platform browser, I can access bookmarks from my PC on my phone, and any open tabs on any of my devices. The omnibox is also fantastic.

Last edited:

barnettgs

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Northern Ireland
The biggest problem I have with Chrome is that it has no cache limit control, unlike any other browsers. It may be faster but it slows down a lot when the cache is getting huge thus having to flush out the cache regularly.

capandjudy

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2013
Huntington, WV
Reluctantly!

Does it support java?
I get the following message "Java TM was blocked because it is out of date" and given the option to update or run anyway. Java on my mac is up to date. Java will run when selecting "run anyway". Selecting the update option takes me to the java download page which says that Chrome will not run java because Chrome is 32 bit. So there you are.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
2. It's made the fonts look much worse - there's a consensus on that. Underlined text looks awful, everything else is blurry. I had to disable it.

Yup, this seems to be a bug:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=405445
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=395425

Personally, I had to disable DirectWrite (chrome://flags/ -> Disable DirectWrite) and add two startup options (/high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1) since I also had everything scaled to 125% even when my system is set to 100%.

ecelticireland

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Google Launches First Beta Build of 64-Bit Chrome for Mac

I have heard that according to the latest technological advancements, there is a possibility that 128 bit OS will be launched soon. Is it true?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Because I can re-install my PC any time I like, login to Google Chrome and have all my add ons, extensions, settings, passwords and bookmarks all back exactly where they were before I formatted. Also a great cross-platform browser, I can access bookmarks from my PC on my phone, and any open tabs on any of my devices.

You know Safari and Firefox do all of this too, right?

(OK, not sure about syncing add-ons/extensions, but certainly all your bookmarks, passwords, and tabs will sync seamlessly across devices.)

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Well its about time. Every app I run on Mac is 64-bit well except for Chrome. Hopefully it will get released sooner rather than later.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Chrome added DirectDraw support for Chrome recently as well. The result is that text in Chrome looks amazing now. While DirectDraw is of course only a Windows thing, does anybody know if OS X had something similar that Chrome could utilize (or has already been utilizing)?

Sounds like DirectWrite is pretty much analogous to Apple's Core Text.

Chrome was originally based on WebKit (now it uses a forked version of WebKit), and WebKit was built to use Core Text.

So, Yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.