Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Looks like google maps is on its way to the dashboard just saw this on Reddit. Hopefully waze will be soon too

Reddit link

EBC5F992-2046-4E9B-A11E-FBD878D4F629.jpeg

Reactions: Remington Steel

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I was wondering when some 3rd party apps will start doing that now that CarPlay allows for it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yup, looks like today's Google Maps app version 5.50 update supports CarPlay dashboard.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
After I got the update when I tried to run Google Maps - either standalone or in the new "desktop" I got a message about when it is safe configure Google Maps on your iPhone. So I opened Google Maps and there was a screen with three options to turn on or off. Worked after that in both modes. Would have been nice if the update told you that you were going to have to do that.
This is also after I updated phone to latest IOS released yesterday but I don't know if that is part of the issue

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
After I got the update when I tried to run Google Maps - either standalone or in the new "desktop" I got a message about when it is safe configure Google Maps on your iPhone. So I opened Google Maps and there was a screen with three options to turn on or off. Worked after that in both modes. Would have been nice if the update told you that you were going to have to do that.
This is also after I updated phone to latest IOS released yesterday but I don't know if that is part of the issue

Did not see that screen. There was no indication HOW to get the map in the Dashboard... but as it turns out, if the last map you viewed in CarPlay is compatible, "it just works" in dashboard mode. True for Google Maps, Magic Earth and for Apple Maps... not yet so for Waze.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.