Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benobi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
hey guys,

Trying to get some additional information on this. I am upgrading from an M1 MacBook Air to a 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro and am alarmed at the battery drain, specifically during Google Meets with Safari. My battery drains over 20% in less than 1 hour. This seems to be more than double what I experienced using the M1 Air (1hour~ 10% battery loss). FWIW, meetings over Zoom do not seem to be hitting the battery as hard as Google Meet.
  • Is this a normal amount of battery drain for this machine/processor?
  • Any tips to reduce this battery drain? Would the updated Chrome help with this?
Thanks so much for your insight!

4pp13

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2020
hey guys,

Trying to get some additional information on this. I am upgrading from an M1 MacBook Air to a 14" M1 Pro MacBook Pro and am alarmed at the battery drain, specifically during Google Meets with Safari. My battery drains over 20% in less than 1 hour. This seems to be more than double what I experienced using the M1 Air (1hour~ 10% battery loss). FWIW, meetings over Zoom do not seem to be hitting the battery as hard as Google Meet.
  • Is this a normal amount of battery drain for this machine/processor?
  • Any tips to reduce this battery drain? Would the updated Chrome help with this?
Thanks so much for your insight!
This is worrisome to read about happening to a pro machine. I had M2 Air and had hanging in Google Meets (didn't actually keep track of what the battery was like) and I was blaming the M2 Air given a lot of other things were going on at the same time. Did you see any issues with the actual call or just battery drain?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.