Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
youtube.jpg

Interesting.

• Wow
Reactions: Pezimak

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
On mobile devices it would make very little difference but for quality monitors or TVs I could see it being beneficial. And to think, people wanted an 8k iPhone this year ha. It’s all compressed to hell and back anyway.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
On mobile devices it would make very little difference but for quality monitors or TVs I could see it being beneficial. And to think, people wanted an 8k iPhone this year ha. It’s all compressed to hell and back anyway.
I usually set mine to 4K on my less-than-4K retina display anyway, just for the higher bitrate. It doesn't really make a particularly perceptible difference on some of the more modern codecs, but on some services it can be more noticeable.

1080p is still very good in terms of quality though. I'm definitely not paying YouTube just to be able to watch 4k, especially when they get enough ad revenue from me as it is.

Reactions: max2

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
They stopped "remembering" a 4K setting a while back, citing data throughput restrictions during Covid as an excuse. I certainly won't pay $$ to toggle each and every video back to 4K on Youtube.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
They stopped "remembering" a 4K setting a while back, citing data throughput restrictions during Covid as an excuse. I certainly won't pay $$ to toggle each and every video back to 4K on Youtube.
I mean, didn't Google run gigabit fiber through half of the country? The fact that they are complaining about bandwidth limitations just feels cheap.

Reactions: max2

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Maybe Apple should make their own YouTube. It would be nice to have a YouTube that didn't know what your internet searches are.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
1- Why are you trying to watch a 4k video on a phone that can't do 4k?

2- Just like there's a way around the dislike counter, ads, etc, I'm sure there will be a way around the 4k thing even if that becomes a thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.