Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imtoomuch

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
I'm a long time Android user that switched to the iPhone XS Max this year. Because of my history with Google I have a lot of music in their Play Music store. Is it possible to import these songs into the Music app on the iPhone? I know I can just download the Google Play Music app, but I'm trying to avoid that. Thank you.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The Music app won't play random files from your phone. How are they already on your phone? What app are they associated with? I suppose you could put them into the Files app and keep them in iCloud. Then you'd have to find another media player app to play them--maybe VLC.

imtoomuch

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
The Music app won't play random files from your phone. How are they already on your phone? What app are they associated with? I suppose you could put them into the Files app and keep them in iCloud. Then you'd have to find another media player app to play them--maybe VLC.

I uploaded them to iCloud from my PC and then downloaded them to my iPhone via iCloud. Why is it impossible to add MP3 files to the Music app? Is iOS really that locked down?

karnsculpture

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2006
London, UK
You don't need to subscribe to Match but you will need to download the tracks from Google to your PC or Mac, add them to iTunes and then transfer manually or using wifi from your computer. Make sure icloud music library is turned off before you do this. You'll only need to do it once. It'll mean you also have a backup of the tracks on your computer should you ever need them anywhere else.

imtoomuch

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
You don't need to subscribe to Match but you will need to download the tracks from Google to your PC or Mac, add them to iTunes and then transfer manually or using wifi from your computer. Make sure icloud music library is turned off before you do this. You'll only need to do it once. It'll mean you also have a backup of the tracks on your computer should you ever need them anywhere else.

Thank you! What would happen if I did it with the iCloud music library turned on?

karnsculpture

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2006
London, UK
Thank you! What would happen if I did it with the iCloud music library turned on?
You can't do the above if you have iCloud Music Library turned on. You can turn it on afterwards if you want but remember, you have to subscribe to either iTunes Match or Apple Music to use iCloud Music Library at all.

Reactions: imtoomuch

imtoomuch

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
You can't do the above if you have iCloud Music Library turned on. You can turn it on afterwards if you want but remember, you have to subscribe to either iTunes Match or Apple Music to use iCloud Music Library at all.

Thanks again! I plan on trying it tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.