Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Recently was gifted a Google Nest Mini 2.
I am not a fan of anything Google-related for a variety of reasons. How do I ensure this is not used by Google to listen or spy on me?

magicman32

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
That’s all there is required? I thought they could still listen even if it’s “off”.

The tinfoil hat brigade hypocritically obsessed with privacy on some things, not so much others, will push that ridiculous theory but the thing is only ever listening for the activation word. It’s not listening or recording anything you do unless you “Hey Google” it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Recently was gifted a Google Nest Mini 2.
I am not a fan of anything Google-related for a variety of reasons. How do I ensure this is not used by Google to listen or spy on me?
If you are that paranoid about companies spying on you I suggest you use zero technology and nothing media related

Because all companies listen in. Apple included

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just talk about committing terrorists acts. If swat knocks down your door, you know you been spied on.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
That’s all there is required? I thought they could still listen even if it’s “off”.

but whats the point of having it then? surely the only thing it does is listen to you and do what its told, so if you stop it listening it becomes an ornament.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
It's not a bluetooth speaker like Alexa is. It only works as a ChromeCast Audio device so you have to have a Google Account and use one of their own services that support their casting protocol in order to even play audio through it.

On the phone/tablet level you can totally gimp the Assistant to work only in offline mode where it's never going to send any packets to Google at all. But, all you get in return are limited controls such as 'Brighten/dim the screen' 'lower/increase volume' 'turn on/off wifi' and so forth. On a Home Mini it cannot work offline period.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
There's always custom firmware/AI to make it like that infamous Twitch feed "See robots chat"

They made custom firmware to set up two Google Homes to talk to each other with quite hilarious results.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Google in recent months have been actively promoting the Google Nest mini in my country.

For those who own and use one, what do you do with it? Just curious. I'm not a real fan of these assistants even on my phones, although I do use a bit of Bixby and Google Assistant on my phone when I need to be hands free during work. But at home, the only thing I do with the assistant is to set timers. I guess if you have smart appliances like smart light bulbs etc, you can utilize the Nest mini better?

Or am I too introvert to have frequent conversations with an object? :D

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
A nest mini is the Google equivilent of an Echo Dot. It's pretty much the same thing as a full-blown Google Home speaker, but with a smaller footprint, lights that aren't color, and a much smaller speaker. Other than that, it's just their take on th Dot. Same price, too.

I want to like Alexa though given she can do tons more through skills, but I had to shut the two Shows off again since this was the third time in a row she woke up in my living room uncommanded (I was asleep) shouting oddly enough "You want to help me learn?" "Sorry, I didn't get that"

What on earth was she responding to? The time before that she started randomly playing music and no one is in the house but me and my pet rabbit. I don't think rabbits talk, but maybe he suddenly gained intelligence? Who knows?

Occasionally, my Google Homes will do the activate noise trigger, but go immediately off without responding. I assume they're listening to improve noise cancellation/improving voice recognition by occasionally listening for ambient noise. Alexa on the other hand creeps me out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.