Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farrol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Hello,

I have two MBPs Intel with the latest version of Monterey and am trying to get the Google One VPN client to work.

I was able to install the pkg from the DMG without any problems. When I start the app, the Google VPN symbol for the client appears in the menu bar at the top.

When you click on it, a small window appears with an explanation and a few buttons: "Quit", "Get Started", "Terms..." etc.

But none of these buttons work, so the VPN can't be started, even "Quit" doesn't work.

I should probably add that Little Snitch is also installed. But it makes no difference if I disable the LS filter.

Here two users have the same problem, also under Ventura:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/yqssm1
Does Google One VPN work for you?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
What version of the app do you have?
You can find out from Terminal with:
Code:
defaults read /Applications/VPN\ by\ Google\ One.app/Contents/Info.plist CFBundleVersion
The 1.4.2.0 version doesn't even start in Ventura.

Reactions: Farrol

Farrol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
I have version 1.3.0.0, downloaded yesterday from the Google One VPN web page.

As I said, I am on Monterey (12.6.3), not Ventura.

But in the Reddit link I posted above, users with Ventura had the same problem.

Farrol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Thanks, I installed the package from that link, and now 1.4.2.0 is installed.

Problem remains though, clicking the buttons on the welcome page has no effect.

Come on Google, get your act together:
- offering different versions of that client for download with no mention of version number or differences
- and both versions fail so miserably

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The app has a system extension (/Applications/VPN by Google\ One.app/Contents/Library/SystemExtensions/com.google.one.NetworkExtension.systemextension), but doesn’t activate it at start.
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/systemextensions/installing_system_extensions_and_drivers

You could try to add the consent necessary from Terminal in Recovery with
Code:
spctl kext-consent add EQHXZ8M8AV

The Team ID code (EQHXZ8M8AV) is mentioned in /Applications/VPN by Google One.app/Contents/embedded.provisionprofile
Details about spctl kext-consent add https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ow-button-not-working-final-solution.2372899/

Farrol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Thanks but currently I have no time to do this. And why would this prevent even the "Quit" or "Terms&C." buttons from functioning?

Google should fix this, I will try again in a few weeks.

Farrol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
I already talked to Google Support, those guys are totally clueless, no point.

Farrol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
I posted my experience on Reddit and got a reply which is working:

I had "Reduce Transparency" checked in System Prefs / Accessibility / Display

After I unchecked it, the Google One VPN UI is working :D

Reactions: bogdanw

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What is the allure with a VPN product from google, one major reason for VPN usage is privacy and we all know that there is no privacy with google.

already talked to Google Support, those guys are totally clueless,

Would never use a Google VPN as per above. I would definitely change to a one from a vendor that actually supports their product.

Farrol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
https://one.google.com/about/vpn/howitworks

"... With VPN by Google One, users’ network traffic is not identifiable to the VPN and never logged by VPN. We will never use the VPN connection to track, log, or sell your online activity... "

Regarding support, they do support it, I would chalk this obscure UI issue up to teething problems.

I have much more trust in Google than many of the other VPN providers where you don't know exactly who might own or influence them.

Last edited:

Farrol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Edit: I double posted the solution but in fact it's further up in this thread. So this entry can be removed.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have much more trust in Google than many of the other VPN providers where you don't know exactly who might own or influence them.
Should You Use Google VPN in 2023? (hint: probably not)
Yes, the biggest data collection company has a service to help protect your data from data collectors. And if that isn’t enough to worry you…I don’t know what will.

I personally have an issue trusting a company who as noted is one of the largest data collectors in the world. I'd rather do my research and select a company who's very philosophy is security related instead going with a company who's business model is selling every bit of my data. Its akin to trusting the fox to guard the chicken coop - we know what will happen.

Farrol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
The link you posted is by a person who makes money with affiliate links to VPN providers and other security products. So I'm not surprised that he's recommending those services over Google.

Also when you read his arguments pro and against Google VPN he actually admits that Google is one of the few VPN providers who use open source software to provide their service, a big plus in my eyes, more transparency.

His criticism is mainly based on the argument that Google is making money with peoples' data who are using their search product, so VPN would hurt their bottom line.

Fair enough, but Google is promising not to log or otherwise use the data from the VPN service, see link I posted above.

So I find it highly unlikely that they are actually planning to break that promise, being such a big company and permanently under public scrutiny.

In any case I will only use their or other providers' VPN service for my medium level privacy needs.

Whenever I need the highest level of privacy, I would not trust any VPN provider, but rather set up my own server which is not difficult using open source software.

But Google VPN gives me the convenience to for example check my email securely in a public WiFi network for free for me, because I am subscribing to storage space anyway. And so far my tests have shown throughput is very good.

So I think it's a very good offer.

Whenever I need more privacy I will set up my own server, as I have done in the past. Actually server is already set up, I just need to restore a backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.