Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Olympus_Mons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
UK
Been working with Google support for several months now to try and find a solution to the Google One VPN not actually working properly on iPhone 15 models. I’ll try to summarise as best I can below:

Issue:
VPN takes a fairly long time to connect(30s~), but will then disconnect very regularly throughout the day before re-connecting itself (has occurred four times within 30 mins as I write this)

Attempted solutions (none have worked):
- Re-install the app
- Completely DFU restore my 15 Pro and set up as new, with no other third party apps installed
- Test the VPN using a friend’s 15 Pro - same issue occurs (hence I don’t think this is a ‘me’ issue)
- Nord and Express VPN’s both work flawlessly on my 15 Pro

I have also tested the VPN, using my account on an iPhone X, iPhone 12, iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro, none of which have any issues at all and connect very quickly (5s~) to the VPN - and remain connected indefinitely.

There clearly seems to be something to do with the 15 Pro models that cause the VPN to take a long time to connect and then regularly disconnect afterwards.

Has anyone else experienced the same? Any other suggestions?

Reactions: burgman

Pletchman13

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Definitely having similar issue with our iPhone 15 Pro Max on Verizon network. Two extremely frustrating things occur if Google one vpn configuration is installed. If installed but not active often times my phone will show it has internet (WiFi or cellular) signal but there will be no actual service. It doesn’t say no service but if I get no notifications/texts or anything. Once I activate the vpn I get notifications and internet/cellular service

Other situation is similar. If I keep vpn on demand where it’s always active I’ll get same situation where it shows I’ve got service/signal and vpn is connected but I’m not actually getting any data pushed to phone. If I disconnect the vpn (which immediately reconnects) it works again.

Extremely frustrating

Reactions: burgman

Olympus_Mons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
UK
Glad to hear it isn’t just me then. Really hope Google sort this, I’ve been telling them about it for months. 😫

Haven’t heard from them in a while though, might give ‘em a poke and see what they say.

Olympus_Mons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
UK
I get it as part of my Google One subscription, but yeah it can’t change location, but I have NordVPN already if I wanted to do that 🙂

I just noticed that the Google one seems to have issues with the connection, whereas others don’t.

Had an update from Google though: they’ve escalated it to their highest engineers, so it sounds like it’s now being looked at by the folks in Mountain View, so could be a little while before I get another update but will keep you lot posted!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Interesting. Since a relative of mine already was paying for Google Storage I showed them how to use Google's VPN on a trip overseas. They have a 15 Pro and I had some somewhat lengthy FaceTime calls where I know the VPN was active (we used Shareplay to verify certain things on their phone after they arrived). Didn't have any disconnects.

Olympus_Mons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
UK
Huh, that’s interesting. I was recently in the US and it was the same for me there with the disconnecting/reconnecting.

Tried on my friends 15 Pro and it’s also the same… how odd. Maybe it’s a UK-based thing? Modems could be different on ones from the US/Asian markets perhaps? 🤔

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
So you want to use a VPN to protect your privacy and prevent ad tracking? Isn’t using Google VPN the equivalent to walking around with your fly unzipped?

Olympus_Mons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
UK
So you want to use a VPN to protect your privacy and prevent ad tracking? Isn’t using Google VPN the equivalent to walking around with your fly unzipped?
That was my first thought lol, but surprisingly not as it turns out, as per their article here: https://one.google.com/about/vpn/howitworks.

Regardless, my point is that I’m not fussed whether Google VPN is good, bad, or indifferent, my point is just that it doesn’t seem to work on any 15 Pro model I’ve tried, but it works fine on other models.

I’ve always used Nord for any real VPN usage anyway, only know about Google’s because I needed the extra cloud storage space, and their VPN comes bundled with it 😄

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Or perhaps some people just want their connection secured while on public WiFi when traveling?

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
Works fine on my 15 Pro. But just like my old 13 Pro Max, CarPlay doesn’t work when Google VPN is on which is a pita to disable any time I need it before driving.

SouthMordor

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2024
Works fine on my 15 Pro. But just like my old 13 Pro Max, CarPlay doesn’t work when Google VPN is on which is a pita to disable any time I need it before driving.
You can add an exception to Google VPN to not apply to certain apps; you must select Android Auto or Carplay. Now I don't need to disconnect from the VPN when I get in my car.

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
Which App and version are you using?

Seems they removed that functionality from Android and iOS as I used to have it disabled on my backup android phone but haven’t seen the option in a while. iOS has no such option with current and much more limited Google One app.

offbrandd

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2024
Did anyone ever find a solution for this? Just moved over to a 15 Pro Max (T-Mobile US) and getting this same issue. Already paying for storage through Google One and hoping to not have to pay for a separate VPN.

Olympus_Mons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
UK
Did anyone ever find a solution for this? Just moved over to a 15 Pro Max (T-Mobile US) and getting this same issue. Already paying for storage through Google One and hoping to not have to pay for a separate VPN.
Sadly not yet. I’m still waiting for the Senior Engineers to provide a solution, I did chase it up recently and got told they have no updates yet but will reach out when they do.

Am not happy, considering I’m paying for this (like you are).

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Well, the "good" news is you won't have to worry about it not working anymore.

Olympus_Mons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2023
UK
Well, the "good" news is you won't have to worry about it not working anymore.

Lmao this is true! Oh what fun.

I just sent them an email about this.

They’ve lost my original support submission logs, so clearly haven’t even bothered to look at it.
They also asked me 5 different times for new screen recordings of the issue since they keep losing them.

Absolute shambles. I’m genuinely glad they’re killing the VPN, can’t be arsed with it anymore anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.