Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravinja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
I have been using google photos for years (since it was free). Now that i'm getting more apple stuff i want to switch over to iCloud. But i have a lot of trouble importing the pictures and movies.

What i tried;
- using google takeout to export all pictures and movies. This works well, but for all pictures and movies that i got via imessage or whatsapp the metadata is gone. iCloud doesnt know when the picture was send and stores it on the day i did the import. For example, i got a picture on 12-12-2019, it was stored in my picture library on my iphone on 12-12-2019 and stored in google photos on 12-12-2019. iCloud misses the metadata and stores it on the day i'm importing. The google takeout does also exports the metadata to a separate file in .jsons. But i cannot get that reimported to the pictures somehow.

- also tried exporting using the google photos user interface (500 pictures at the time). This works, the metadata is included but gives other issues when importing to icloud again;
- apple stores pictures as HEIC, once downloaded it doesnt allow to upload these to iCloud anymore (wtf apple, its your own format?!)
- .mov files also are not allowed to be uploaded. I thought this was also a format apple used in the past, but could be that its from movies i got via whatsapp from android users.

Anyone has ran into the same? And found a fix? Now it just seems easier to keep using google photos and start paying for it :(

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
Unfortunately, this is something that is still a huge problem. We can cast and play media on all kinds of different screens and Airdrop super easy, but managing the photos (data) itself is difficult and complicated.
I do not have an immediate answer, other than that you probably need to take out 500 at a time; as you have already done, and then import them in iCloud. Maybe the desktop version iCloud for PC/Mac works for import?

Reactions: ravinja
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.