Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martyhimself

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I had the opportunity to buy a Google Pixel 7 half price and replaced my aging iPhone 8, which seemed like a good idea especially given the glowing reviews the Pixel 7 is getting.

The Google Pixel 7 is the worst phone I have ever owned. It takes great pictures, and that’s about the only positive I can think of. Its WiFi and cellular signal is worse than all Apple devices I own, and its operating system feels like an ad platform with smartphone capabilities. I don’t want a spammy news feed by default when I swipe left from the main screen and I don’t want to figure out how to remove it. Android still feels sluggish.

The trade in value for the device has been about half its retail price right from launch, so I’m thinking of just going back to my iPhone 8 and replacing its battery.

Sorry I’m probably being harsh here and maybe this phone is just not for me (as pointed out by Aneres11) 😁

Last edited:

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
strange.... not my experience at all! I have a 14pm for serious work and a pixel 7a for on the go, hiking, when I dont want the bulk, amazing phone, actually has be wondering why I even need an iphone to be honest...

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Maybe you have a defective device?

I have a Pixel 7 Pro and it is not sluggish at all nor is it an ad platform any more than Apple app store is. In fact in the general UI there are no ads, chrome - no ads, so I really don't understand your comments.

I think most people who use an iPhone as their only device or generally Apple devices are very shocked when they try anything different. Then because they miss the familiarity with iOS tend to rant and rave about nonsense to justify their decision to go back to iOS/iPhone.

Like anything there is a learning curve. Once you get used to a different way of doing things it actually might even work better.

Navigation gestures on iOS are pretty bad. On Android going back is just a simple swipe right or left. Just one example.

When it comes to resale Android phones don't do nearly as well as Apple but then you generally don't have to pay retail for Android devices. And Apple generally cost more so at the end of the day things even out of you try to find deals and sell on private market.

I don't care what you use. If you like your iPhone 8 then you should enjoy it. But don't tell me a Pixel 7 is slow compared to your iPhone 8 because that doesn't make sense. I had a iPhone 13 Pro Max and I could not tell any difference in speed between it and my Pixel 7 Pro.

Maybe you should have tried a s23? Of course I think you would be even more lost on it than the Pixel.

If the Pixel is so terrible then you should sell it on third party website before the Pixel 8 comes out then the value will be even worse and I guess get an iPhone 13 mini which cost the same as the Pixel 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.