Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Does anyone know if there is any plans to get this on iOS? I love play music and it is one of the things holding me back from getting an iPhone. Or, how does it compare to iTunes match? I'm on Sprint so I have unlimited streaming which is nice with google play because you can literally listen to any song you want and keep it on your device.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
There are a couple Google Play Music apps in the Appstore... I use one called Melodies... It's okay.

Seeing how Google is making all of their stuff available for iOS (gmail,maps,google now,voice,youtube,drive,plus,etc), I'd reckon to say that an official app is coming soon.

One possible explanation for it's absence is that they were finishing up their app and were close to releasing it, but apple unveiled iOS7 in June so now they are updating it.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I use Gmusic 2 on my 5s... You cam stream your music from the cloud or use Goggle all access service, works great I love Google music too since i have several Android devices, so i had to buy it, but its worth every penny until Google releases their own app which is due...

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Google did say it was coming, but that was back in May or June I think. Not sure if the plans changed.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Oh cool so there are 3rd party apps to use. Do these allow you to search and play songs ad free that you don't own like the android and desktop versions?

lineto

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
Can also recommend Cloud Play. Used Melodies, GMusic, Google's own web interface and all of them were super spotty. Cloud Play has been extremely consistent in terms of playback for me. If you have a Google Play unlimited subscription then you can also use that when searching with Cloud Play.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Oh cool so there are 3rd party apps to use. Do these allow you to search and play songs ad free that you don't own like the android and desktop versions?

Yes Gmusic does exactly that... It's part of the google access service...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.