Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
This began 9/4/16: Used Google to search. Next search with google AUTOMATICALLY changes to yahoo safe search. Discovered that my "home Page" under preferences had been changed to strange configurataton of numbers and letters. Using Safari version 6.1.6. Changed home page to google. Didn't help search changeing to Yahoo.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Your system might be infected with adware. There is known adware that changes certain browser settings in favour of Yahoo Search. You can download EtreCheck to see whether anything comes up. You can also paste the report here between [code] [/code] tags, so that we can see where the infected files are located. Alternatively, see this adware removal guide for instructions on how to deal with this manually.

Last edited:

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Thank you for responding. I was able to "cure" it by googling "google redirect virus" and was advised to uninstall any suspicious extensions in the preference tab. Uninstalled time watch and all seems to be back to normal. Thank you again.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Thank you for responding. I was able to "cure" it by googling "google redirect virus" and was advised to uninstall any suspicious extensions in the preference tab. Uninstalled time watch and all seems to be back to normal. Thank you again.

This might not be enough. Adware can persist itself through launch scripts. You should check out the removal guide I linked and check the directories mentioned therein.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.