Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This is exactly what I was expecting to happen due to the ZTE bad Huawei situation, these Chinese OEMs are currently making probably the best value for money Androids around, they have more power now than ever. Looking forward to some Google Play competition may take quite a long time to get off the ground but they are on the right path, IMO.

57d20cf5c84bd80bde71950ad254fea4.png

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
They could gain a lot of traction from the get go by simply offering to take a 0% cut in the first year and then 10% in the following year. App developers would jump on it assuming they provide East porting tools. They wouldn’t even have to recompile.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Same apps in 2 different stores Hummmmm will one be cheaper than the other ?

If the US government a going to do to the rest of the Chinese OEMs, what they have done to ZTE and after that Huawei, you may find that most of them will shift from Google Play to this, so when you get a e.g. Vivo phone, you don’t have the Google stuff but rather this store and services they are working on.

It’s about time they moved away from depending on Google, IMO.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If the US government a going to do to the rest of the Chinese OEMs, what they have done to ZTE and after that Huawei, you may find that most of them will shift from Google Play to this, so when you get a e.g. Vivo phone, you don’t have the Google stuff but rather this store and services they are working on.

It’s about time they moved away from depending on Google, IMO.
Yes I understand but I see little competition for consumers unless the new store can be loaded in addition to play store say on your Samsung phone

else

It will almost be a Chinese store for the spurned :) and little competition
[automerge]1580996912[/automerge]
then who would you rather trust...Google or some company backed by the Chinese government?
I don't get overly excited by that but I understand, however lets say the same app from a big trusted developer is on both stores should we more concerned ? other than where the profit is going :)

Reactions: jamezr

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
As the saying goes "there is a will there is a way". The MS way of acquiring Nokia and lousy OS left a bad impression. The way Huawei treated the threat from US, it is time for them to find a way, the have been offering
developers, as high as $15,000 per app for some apps shows their will to get stuff done. With the combination of 3 others, sky is the limit. Money talks BS walks.
They learn the lesson from Sony mobile, Steve Jobs did not want to license IOS to Sony. So goes Sony. The Chinese phones can do wonder, never underestimate them. More hands mean more miracle.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't get overly excited by that but I understand, however lets say the same app from a big trusted developer is on both stores should we more concerned ? other than where the profit is going :)
But as history shows...even some big trusted developer will acquiesce when enough pressure is applied and enough $$ thrown their way.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Yes I understand but I see little competition for consumers unless the new store can be loaded in addition to play store say on your Samsung phone

else

It will almost be a Chinese store for the spurned :) and little competition
[automerge]1580996912[/automerge]

Would be more competitive on the developer side, that is IF the other Chinese OEMs are not accused of supposedly spying as well, LOL. I believe all Chinese OEMs see the writing on the wall regarding depending on Google too much and would probably rather depend on a partnership amongst each other, that limits political exposure when countries like the USA decide they don’t want them.

As the saying goes "there is a will there is a way". The MS way of acquiring Nokia and lousy OS left a bad impression. The way Huawei treated the threat from US, it is time for them to find a way, the have been offering
developers, as high as $15,000 per app for some apps shows their will to get stuff done. With the combination of 3 others, sky is the limit. Money talks BS walks.
They learn the lesson from Sony mobile, Steve Jobs did not want to license IOS to Sony. So goes Sony. The Chinese phones can do wonder, never underestimate them. More hands mean more miracle.

Indeed. Interesting times ahead, love that they woke up and decided to do this.

Besides Samsung, who else is a non-Chinese OEM in Android in the top 5 Android OEMs? I believe right now it’s all Chinese OEMs after Samsung.

The more interesting part is that in a lot of developing economies like China, India and on the African continent, these Chinese OEMs are very popular, so this partnership may not really need the countries like the USA and the like, as they have huge numbers on their side in the other markets.

This may become that 3rd ecosystem we have been waiting for.

Reactions: ramram55

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
There's no Google Play Store in China so not much will change from how it is now other than consolidating many different Chinese app stores into one main one. Globally it'll always be second class to Google Play Store for privacy, security and availability. They should at least make it easily side loadable as an alternative app store if they want any kind of adoption outside of China but there are already many established app stores so I doubt anyone would care.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
But as history shows...even some big trusted developer will acquiesce when enough pressure is applied and enough $$ thrown their way.
I can understand some being concerned on how Chinese government may use some statistical data re purchases, but I cant see large international developers say being forced to embed code in their apps to assist

I suspect that this alternative store would be full on apps not in English and of little use to many in the west etc

Many of us who have lived overseas are far more use to being more watched by local governments and it is accepted for many reasons when you opt to live in a foreign country.

However most understand these practices that are not so easily accepted in the west and are in fact what helps to keep the west safer. It makes it far harder for baddies to jump on major hubs like Dubai and fly off to major cities, along with dealing with local crime etc

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.