Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

python0704

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Hi,

I have been bugged by this problem for over a month. I use a gopro 4 silver to shoot some videos and photos. Then I import those files to Photos. The problem is while photos are imported with correct time stamp. Videos always have time stamp that is 4 hours earlier.

I first noticed this when I download the files to my iphone via gopro app and saw the time of videos in Photos (both ios 11 and ios 12 beta). Then when I import those files from iphone to Photos in Mac (latest none-beta os) the time is still wrong. Only videos, photos are fine.

Another route I took is connect gopro directly to mac (or insert microSD card to mac) and first import with gopro's Quik, I can see from Quik or finder folder that the videos have the correct time (so I don't think I can blame gopro for this). But when I import these files to photos their time changed again.

Since gopro 4 silver doesn't support time zone, I can only make sure the time and date are correct, reset gopro doesn't help btw. I also checked the timezone, time and date in mac which are all correct. But I cannot figure out why the time changes when these videos are imported in Photos (both macOS and IOS) and how to correct it.

Anyone knows the reason or solution?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What is your timezone in relation to GMT? I.E., does it look as if photos believes that the photos timezone is GMT and you are GMT+4?

It looks as if the GoPro isn't passing the correct timezone to Photos. There are programs that allow you to change photo metadata such as A Better Finder Attributes. You read your photos into a directory, change the creation date, and then import into photos. But beware that there are lot of timestamp locations and ABFA only changes a few.

FatalFallacy

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
Have seen this with my Canon G7x MKII as well, but for photos as well.

I am still wondering whether MacOS/iOS is handling meta data wrong or the cam does not write it properly.
In the end I keep iOS (with proper time zone and/or summer time offset) and on the cam without setting any kind of offset (but pure time values in sync).

This seems to work best at least for me in order to keep camera's and iphone's photo time and locations in sync for both apps on iOS and MacOS.

python0704

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
What is your timezone in relation to GMT? I.E., does it look as if photos believes that the photos timezone is GMT and you are GMT+4?

It looks as if the GoPro isn't passing the correct timezone to Photos. There are programs that allow you to change photo metadata such as A Better Finder Attributes. You read your photos into a directory, change the creation date, and then import into photos. But beware that there are lot of timestamp locations and ABFA only changes a few.
My time zone is GMT-4. What scratch my head is GoPro Hero 4 Silver doesn't have timezone settings. And the problem only happens to videos, not photos. I can adjust the time and date of the file through Photos app as a workaround but I'm hoping to resolve this issue fundamentally.
[doublepost=1534865591][/doublepost]
Have seen this with my Canon G7x MKII as well, but for photos as well.

I am still wondering whether MacOS/iOS is handling meta data wrong or the cam does not write it properly.
In the end I keep iOS (with proper time zone and/or summer time offset) and on the cam without setting any kind of offset (but pure time values in sync).

This seems to work best at least for me in order to keep camera's and iphone's photo time and locations in sync for both apps on iOS and MacOS.
I would lean on blaming Photos on MacOS/IOS because the metadata showed up correct before being imported to Photos. I wouldn't do the offset on gopro as it just move the issue from videos to photos it shoots.

Sackelrapp

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2022
Hi there. I just registered just to write here.
This post is older but I have the same issue. Also communication via GoPro Community and Reddit. But it seems there is no fix for that.

I have exact the same issue. The vids are wrong after importing to apple photos (in my case +2hrs, sitting in GMT + 2, that means the vids are GMT +2 +2).

I have no idea what to do or how to fix. After a 3 days trip with hundreds of vids and pics it is so frustrating when the timeline in fotos is completely incorrect.

It must be some kind of bug during import to apple photos but I do not know any workaround to prevent the change of time..

Sackelrapp

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2022
I guess it's a GoPro problem how they save the EXIF data in a video file (there is no standard for it but most devices save them that other software can find the correct EXIF).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.