Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
6z78zb.png

4vs0vc.jpg

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3umkLL9cXxE

Some users have reported a black boot up screen while others get white.

What about everyone else? Do you like the new modern UI changes?

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Sometimes I spy...

At times I see a white screen with a purple Apple logo, for for only an instant. And only on my MBPR and not on my 27 inch iMac. The iMac colors are gray or shades of gray not sure yet.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Is it just me or does anything think 'Firmware" with the line going across the screen?

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Wether or not your screen is black or white depends on the model year.

From what it sounds like, basically every computer after 2013/the first Retina display seems to have the black boot screen with the white apple, while computers before 2013/the first rMBP have the original boot screen with the loading bar.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Wether or not your screen is black or white depends on the model year.

From what it sounds like, basically every computer after 2013/the first Retina display seems to have the black boot screen with the white apple, while computers before 2013/the first rMBP have the original boot screen with the loading bar.
For those who may be curious, Apple does something similar with their iOS devices. If you have an iOS device with a white front paneling, the boot screen will be white with a black Apple logo. If your iOS device has black front paneling, the boot screen is black with a white Apple logo. Assuming this feature stays, it's interesting that they're bringing that over to the Mac lineup. Perhaps in the future they plan to offer MacBooks with a white border around the screen? :p

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
For those who may be curious, Apple does something similar with their iOS devices. If you have an iOS device with a white front paneling, the boot screen will be white with a black Apple logo. If your iOS device has black front paneling, the boot screen is black with a white Apple logo. Assuming this feature stays, it's interesting that they're bringing that over to the Mac lineup. Perhaps in the future they plan to offer MacBooks with a white border around the screen? :p

macbook airs have an aluminum border around the screen...

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014

Not entirely sure what you mean with those retinas, but my assumption based on other threads was that 2008-2012 Macs have white boot screen, and 2013-present have black boot screen.

The only reason I can see Apple doing that is to seperate the top priority Macs - those that still have warranty and need flawless support or else it's gonna cost them, from those that unfortunately can be made some compromises in favor for newer devices. The boot screen can be just a nice way of saying that.

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Except most MacBook Pros have Black borders, yet the older ones boot with the white background

Chibob

macrumors member
May 13, 2011
Brazil
For those who may be curious, Apple does something similar with their iOS devices. If you have an iOS device with a white front paneling, the boot screen will be white with a black Apple logo. If your iOS device has black front paneling, the boot screen is black with a white Apple logo.

I dont get it, I have a white iPhone and the boot screen is black w/ white Apple logo...

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's something related to EFI version as to why some Mac get the new black screen and other model get the grey screen. Also packaged with Yosemite, some Macs got an SMC update.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
It's something related to EFI version as to why some Mac get the new black screen and other model get the grey screen. Also packaged with Yosemite, some Macs got an SMC update.

Well, like I said, it's a pattern that black boot screen is only for new devices (2013+). I don't think that's related to EFI specifically.

The difference between MBA 2013 and MBA 2012 in general is pretty small, yet they've got different boot screens.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Well, like I said, it's a pattern that black boot screen is only for newer devices. I don't think that's related to EFI specifically.

The difference between MBA 2013 and MBA 2012 in general is pretty small, yet they've got different boot screens.

Yep, I have a late 2012 Mac mini and I have the standard gray boot screen.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I think the little circular login picture (i.e. your account picture) looks way too small centered in the screen like that. The look of Yosemite just isn't sitting right with me (yet).

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne

I think my mac pro 2008 got an SMC update. How would i check though?

Also, it's clear that apple is introducing a new generation of machines. It includes retina MBP and the new mac pro. Soon the iPad air/12" rMBP will come along. New retina iMacs are due any time now.

I think the mac mini might get some slight physical modifications (think about how the mini has changed since being a G4 desktop - not much) and 4K output to the new retina thunderbolt display (To be used with the mac pro).

eventually, all these new 4K/retina macs will be the next gen design etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.