Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Think I prefer it lightened...

Mojave copy.jpg
Mojave.jpg

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Thanks for sharing! Didn't Apple release 4 Mojave wallpapers. You saw it when they showed the dynamic wallpaper feature. Are those separate images or do they have to be activated through the dynamic feature?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks for sharing! Didn't Apple release 4 Mojave wallpapers. You saw it when they showed the dynamic wallpaper feature. Are those separate images or do they have to be activated through the dynamic feature?
There are three selectable in System Prefs: day, night (both static) and dynamic. I think dynamic should have a 'gradient' of images from day to night (I'm not sure how many it actually includes, might be more than 4), but it isn't working for me in this beta.

pollycat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004
You have to enable Location Services in System Preferences to make the dynamic wallpaper work.
I've done this and enjoyed watching it get darker as night approaches where I am.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
You have to enable Location Services in System Preferences to make the dynamic wallpaper work.
I've done this and enjoyed watching it get darker as night approaches where I am.
Are you using Dark Mode? I have Location Services enabled, but when I select the dynamic wallpaper, it just stays on the night version of the Mojave picture no matter what time of day it is.

Reactions: Cryates

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Are you using Dark Mode? I have Location Services enabled, but when I select the dynamic wallpaper, it just stays on the night version of the Mojave picture no matter what time of day it is.
It only works with the light interface. When you use the dark interface it switches to the night Mojave picture.

Also there's only one image. Looks like the OS itself edits the picture on-the-fly.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
So the dynamic wallpaper will change if you are set to the light interface, but will it change the UI elements to a dark interface automatically at nightfall?

The Apple website has a slider that seems to support that theory, but I haven't tried it myself.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Sorry for me is not that gorgeous. Reminds me of that horrid Win XP sand wallpaper.
https://adrianquiroz.deviantart.com/art/windows-xp-sand-716319765
Ha! Wow, a blast from the past. I can't recall for certain but I think that wallpaper came with one of the feature packs MS made available during XP's life cycle. Haven't seen that image in probably 10+ years.

But it's not that similar to the Apple one IMHO. Apple's has a very pleasing symmetry missing in the MS one. It's also got a wider perspective (of course, we've got wider screens now than we did in the early aughts).

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
There should be a total of 16 layers in that single .heic dynamic wallpaper file. Here they are in jpegs: https://github.com/xtai/mojave-dynamic-heic

Enjoy!
Nice, I was hoping someone would do that. So I wonder if 16 images is the limit for this feature or if that's just all Apple chose to use for this particular wallpaper.

Nice to see that the images are actually time lapse (clouds are different in each one) rather than just messing with artificial image adjustments to simulate brightening/dimming.

I am interested to see how the transition is handled "in the moment". I assume it's some sort of fade in, although with different cloud positions between images I guess that would look weird. Hopefully someone who actually has this feature working will notice one of the transitions and can report back.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I hope others start making dynamic wallpaper packs available for Mojave. This is definitely a very cool feature.

Besides bright to dark transitions, you could also have other creative changes throughout the day:
A car spinning slowly 180 degrees.
A flower blooming.
Ocean tide coming in or out.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.