Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
bought 2 airtags, one with a new wallet, the other with a keyring.

and so far, pretty much a waste of nearly €100. And i know people will say 'should have a newer phone' but its not so clear they will be crap if you have an XS and they could be less crap. I guess Apple hope people will upgrade just for this but im not buying a new phone just to un gimp airtags.

First of all, the videos all show you some guy walking round the flat finding his backpack with it saying '3 feet to the right' etc...

Only on Iphone 11 and above.

on an XS, it will tell you in generality where it is if youve left it somewhere else entirely, but for finding on your flat or office its useless. Basically its using Maps to give you directions to it so if its 50m away somewhere in the building, it thinks its with you. Weirdly people slag off the tracking of Airpod Pro, but (on XS) its actually so much better than tracking an airtag. with the airpods, i can walk round the flat and it tells me its getting nearer, and when im within a foot or so it tells me. So why cant an airtag do that?

so at least it makes a bleeping noise, thats good. thats how i find my iphone, i hit the button on my watch and my iphone bleeps really loudly. Using Airpod Pro and Find My.. and they make a lound noise. Airtags though make a teeny tiny chirping noise that you hardly hear when they are in your hand. no chance of hearing it if its under the bed or smothered by a cushion on the sofa.

and even with those limitations, does it work? nah. only got them yesterday, couldnt find my wallet. it was saying undescoverable.... i had been out yesterday and so im panicking, did i drop my brand new wallet.

Wandered round the flat, still saying undiscoverable, refusing to play noise because of this. Walk into the kitchen, theres a utilities area attached to that with the washing machine etc.... its sitting on top of the washing machine. only then does the app see it, so i press the button and theres the reassuring tiny chirp thats so quiet you think youve imagined it.

I guess glad i bought 1 airtag as it can go in my suitcase when i go travelling later this year, the other, no point in keeping on my keyring.

Last edited:
Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Well it will tell you for example if you leave your wallet at a restaurant it’s going to show you the address of the restaurant so you’ll be able to figure it out. You’re right though it doesn’t work as well with older iPhones because those iPhones lack the U1 chip that makes close up finding possible. Eventually you’ll upgrade your iPhone and this will be very helpful.

For me as someone who loses things a lot AirTag is the best invention I can think of that came out recently.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01

Precision Finding is compatible with:​

• iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini
  • iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini
  • iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max

And i know people will say 'should have a newer phone' but its not so clear they will be crap if you have an XS and they could be less crap.
It's quite clear on their web site that you need an iPhone 11 or above for precision finding.

If you don't like them, take them back within fourteen days for a full refund.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Well it will tell you for example if you leave your wallet at a restaurant it’s going to show you the address of the restaurant so you’ll be able to figure it out. You’re right though it doesn’t work as well with older iPhones because those iPhones lack the U1 chip that makes close up finding possible. Eventually you’ll upgrade your iPhone and this will be very helpful.

For me as someone who loses things a lot AirTag is the best invention I can think of that came out recently.

tbh whilst still disappointed, you are right. Was on golf course and walked just too far from my golf cart for it to ping saying I’d left my wallet and I thightn yeah that’s useful.

just disappointed that its not as good. And they could have provided the same level of tracking as you get with airpods which works fine with an XS. And they could have made the noise louder too.

even been looking at phone upgrades. Problem is that whilst upgrading from 3GS to 6 and from 6 to XS were massive jumps, XS to 13 or 14 doesn’t feel such a jump. Well except I’m air tag tracking.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
tbh whilst still disappointed, you are right. Was on golf course and walked just too far from my golf cart for it to ping saying I’d left my wallet and I thightn yeah that’s useful.
I like that feature but it doesn't always seem to work for me.

just disappointed that its not as good. And they could have provided the same level of tracking as you get with airpods which works fine with an XS. And they could have made the noise louder too.
Wait what? Am I missing something with AirPods? I've lost them in my room and I didn't get anything more than they were at this location on the map last. It didn't help me at all. Am I doing something wrong or not using the find my right on this one?

even been looking at phone upgrades. Problem is that whilst upgrading from 3GS to 6 and from 6 to XS were massive jumps, XS to 13 or 14 doesn’t feel such a jump. Well except I’m air tag tracking.
The camera and battery life are the big differences. If you're not a big camera user and you're happy with the current battery life then it might not matter to you. If I remember right the XS was the "Pro" version so I think it would compare to the 14 Pro. I've always went with the larger phones so I had the XS Max

Reactions: madeirabhoy

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I like that feature but it doesn't always seem to work for me.

Wait what? Am I missing something with AirPods? I've lost them in my room and I didn't get anything more than they were at this location on the map last. It didn't help me at all. Am I doing something wrong or not using the find my right on this one?

The camera and battery life are the big differences. If you're not a big camera user and you're happy with the current battery life then it might not matter to you. If I remember right the XS was the "Pro" version so I think it would compare to the 14 Pro. I've always went with the larger phones so I had the XS Max
+1 on the left behind notifications - but they do seem to be getting a little more reliable.

Hmm...isn't it AirPods Pro's that you can use with FindMy?

We used to get S years - which were typically upgrades that the form factor didn't change, but the internals did. The XS was the same form factor as the X - same size as the base phone. The Pro models (previously the + models) are larger.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
+1 on the left behind notifications - but they do seem to be getting a little more reliable.

Hmm...isn't it AirPods Pro's that you can use with FindMy?

We used to get S years - which were typically upgrades that the form factor didn't change, but the internals did. The XS was the same form factor as the X - same size as the base phone. The Pro models (previously the + models) are larger.

yeah the pros sorry i missed that bit, works pretty well, its like a warmer and colder sort of thing rather than to the left or right but its better than the airtags on the same phone.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
To be fair I have to agree with the OP. I don't know how useful it is for finding things outside but the precision finding really helps for finding things at home.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Heh - here's a useful use case :D

Buy these AirTag Silicone cases:

Glue / duct tape one (with airtag inside) to one of the frame members under the hood of your vehicle.

Immensely more accurate than the "parked car" that Apple does with maps. :) (and, yes, if someone steals your vehicle and you can get to them before they find it and remove it, that would be handy as well) :)

I know we've all been lamenting about it since they've come out - but sharing (including family sharing) is pretty critical to getting the most out of these. Me, I'd give people the capability of sharing an AirTag via messaging. :)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012

iPhone 14 pro ordered...

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Nah I bought a new phone
tim-cook-apple.gif

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan

and so far, pretty much a waste of nearly €100. And i know people will say 'should have a newer phone' but its not so clear they will be crap if you have an XS and they could be less crap. I guess Apple hope people will upgrade just for this but im not buying a new phone just to un gimp airtags.

First of all, the videos all show you some guy walking round the flat finding his backpack with it saying '3 feet to the right' etc...

Only on Iphone 11 and above.

on an XS, it will tell you in generality where it is if youve left it somewhere else entirely, but for finding on your flat or office its useless. Basically its using Maps to give you directions to it so if its 50m away somewhere in the building, it thinks its with you. Weirdly people slag off the tracking of Airpod Pro, but (on XS) its actually so much better than tracking an airtag. with the airpods, i can walk round the flat and it tells me its getting nearer, and when im within a foot or so it tells me. So why cant an airtag do that?

so at least it makes a bleeping noise, thats good. thats how i find my iphone, i hit the button on my watch and my iphone bleeps really loudly. Using Airpod Pro and Find My.. and they make a lound noise. Airtags though make a teeny tiny chirping noise that you hardly hear when they are in your hand. no chance of hearing it if its under the bed or smothered by a cushion on the sofa.

and even with those limitations, does it work? nah. only got them yesterday, couldnt find my wallet. it was saying undescoverable.... i had been out yesterday and so im panicking, did i drop my brand new wallet.

Wandered round the flat, still saying undiscoverable, refusing to play noise because of this. Walk into the kitchen, theres a utilities area attached to that with the washing machine etc.... its sitting on top of the washing machine. only then does the app see it, so i press the button and theres the reassuring tiny chirp thats so quiet you think youve imagined it.

I guess glad i bought 1 airtag as it can go in my suitcase when i go travelling later this year, the other, no point

I have 5 of them. car bike, gym bag, and child have them. over a year 1/2 and can't be more pleased. BTW I have an iPhone X. and it worked fine.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020

[...]

I've been trying to figure out how Air Tags are useful for the general public. I can see how it would be useful for some who do constantly lose things, but otherwise, the utility of this product seems pretty slim. Perhaps Apple is using this technology to improve an unreleased technology or use? ;-)

Yes, Air Tags are pretty cool, but in many ways it seems like for the general public it's a gimmick in which people might try to intentionally "lose" something in order to "find" them using their phone. ;-)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I've been trying to figure out how Air Tags are useful for the general public. I can see how it would be useful for some who do constantly lose things, but otherwise, the utility of this product seems pretty slim. Perhaps Apple is using this technology to improve an unreleased technology or use? ;-)

Yes, Air Tags are pretty cool, but in many ways it seems like for the general public it's a gimmick in which people might try to intentionally "lose" something in order to "find" them using their phone. ;-)
$750+ car remote fobs, $2500+ designer purses & jackets, wallets, your car (more precise finding in a massive mall parking lot than the last known position your phone does with maps).

Anyone that's gone through the pain of having to replace all of your ID's, etc that's in your wallet - absolutely priceless to never have to do that again.

Think of it as an extremely inexpensive insurance policy against losing your valuables.

Reactions: chabig

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
$750+ car remote fobs, $2500+ designer purses & jackets, wallets, your car (more precise finding in a massive mall parking lot than the last known position your phone does with maps).

Anyone that's gone through the pain of having to replace all of your ID's, etc that's in your wallet - absolutely priceless to never have to do that again.

Think of it as an extremely inexpensive insurance policy against losing your valuables.

For this plebeian here (me), I can't imagine having these kinds of things (nor do I lose things in this way). But, I suppose others do -- and seems like many do have expensive items that they sometimes lose? All the power to them. :)

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021

luggage. After traveling to Europe this summer, arriving home without our bags in tow, and then it takin 7+ days for our bags to arrive (on separate days kind you), I wish I had AirTags. I wasn’t sure if our bags were it Florence or Amsterdam. (At some point they just stopped individually scanning bag tags because they were so understaffed.) we missed our connection in Amsterdam, and it would have been more of a relief to know that the bags were in Amsterdam and not somewhere in Florence.

and then once the bags made it back to our city in the states, the first bag they attempted delivery in the middle of the night. But we live in a condo building that isn’t staffed overnight. They didn’t attempt delivery for another 2 days. and then when we got the delivery, and only got one bag … would’ve liked to see where the second bag was at that time. Did the courier mess up, and the other bag is in our city? Or is it still in Europe? Etc.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
luggage. After traveling to Europe this summer, arriving home without our bags in tow, and then it takin 7+ days for our bags to arrive (on separate days kind you), I wish I had AirTags. I wasn’t sure if our bags were it Florence or Amsterdam. (At some point they just stopped individually scanning bag tags because they were so understaffed.) we missed our connection in Amsterdam, and it would have been more of a relief to know that the bags were in Amsterdam and not somewhere in Florence.

and then once the bags made it back to our city in the states, the first bag they attempted delivery in the middle of the night. But we live in a condo building that isn’t staffed overnight. They didn’t attempt delivery for another 2 days. and then when we got the delivery, and only got one bag … would’ve liked to see where the second bag was at that time. Did the courier mess up, and the other bag is in our city? Or is it still in Europe? Etc.
Hmm, that seems like a burden of too much information. Rather than drive myself nuts with getting all that information, I’d put the onerous on the airlines and they will have to sort it out or provide me with monetary compensation.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Hmm, that seems like a burden of too much information. Rather than drive myself nuts with getting all that information, I’d put the onerous on the airlines and they will have to sort it out or provide me with monetary compensation.

I see you didn’t travel overseas this summer.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I’ve been using AirTags for a few months and they’re great. It’s not only about losing things but keeping track of things. Are they necessary? No. They’re just a technological convenience. Very nice for traveling.

Some people like myself love gadgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.