Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I really, really, really love my lamp, the old G4, but started university this month and realized fairly quickly that something portable would come in handy.

Now the question is, what to get. I'm considering a few options:

Get additional iBook 14" (But isn't that too small and slow?)
Get additional PB 15" (But that'll be bloody expensive )
Sell old faithfull G4, buy PB 15" + 20 " display for home use (anyone happy with that solution???)

Also I was wondering, If I get a new machine running Tiger, and keep the old running Panther, won't it be annoying to work with two different OS'es?
(can't use Tiger disc for portable to install Tiger on iMac G4, can I?)

Any advice appreciated

-Squirrel

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
PickledSquirrel said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I really, really, really love my lamp, the old G4, but started university this month and realized fairly quickly that something portable would come in handy.

Now the question is, what to get. I'm considering a few options:

Get additional iBook 14" (But isn't that too small and slow?)
Get additional PB 15" (But that'll be bloody expensive )
Sell old faithfull G4, buy PB 15" + 20 " display for home use (anyone happy with that solution???)

Also I was wondering, If I get a new machine running Tiger, and keep the old running Panther, won't it be annoying to work with two different OS'es?
(can't use Tiger disc for portable to install Tiger on iMac G4, can I?)

Any advice appreciated

-Squirrel

Well what will you use it for, what apps will you run? The ibook is not slow, the only time it will be slow is for running some pro apps such as FCP. Also you might want to consider the 12" ibook since the 14 and 12 inch have the same resolution.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I say sell the older machine... and get the new 12"iBook and the 20" iMac G5. :D I have the combo and I love it. Honestly, I can't see the need for power (for most students) in a portable... save some money by having a more powerful desktop and a nice portable that can easily handle the basics and then some.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
Patmian212 said:
Well what will you use it for, what apps will you run? The ibook is not slow, the only time it will be slow is for running some pro apps such as FCP. Also you might want to consider the 12" ibook since the 14 and 12 inch have the same resolution.
Well, I'll be using it for notetaking, the occasional graphic work and quite possibly some numbercrunching come next semester... We'll be doing statistics :eek:
Basically, you could say that what I need is an advanced typewriter, but then again, I imagine that once I get to know the machine, I'll be wanting it to do more stuff? Never had a portable before....

-squirrel

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
PickledSquirrel said:
Never had a portable before....
Personally, I love using a desktop much more than a laptop but it is convenient, which is part of the reason why I didn't need/want power in a portable.

From what you say, I think you would be fine w/ an iBook rather than a PB.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
PickledSquirrel said:
Well, I'll be using it for notetaking, the occasional graphic work and quite possibly some numbercrunching come next semester... We'll be doing statistics :eek:
Basically, you could say that what I need is an advanced typewriter, but then again, I imagine that once I get to know the machine, I'll be wanting it to do more stuff? Never had a portable before....

-squirrel

I was thinking the same thing and wanted a powerbook but in the end I didnt have enough cash so I went with a 12" ibook with some extra ram and it has impressed me. I can do graphics work with maya and bryce perfectly well and you will save some money so you can load it with ram and spend the rest of the cash on beer :D .
The ibook has quite a kick I dont think you need a powerbook unless you are going to use pro apps in depth but if you have the cash I wouldn't forget about the powerbook. The question you need to ask yourself is Will I be using the extra power and is the extra cash worth it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.