Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
I order an 23 ACD online and finally it come, look promising because of the new serial I look at 2A640 so it must be in new spec and should be built in October 2006. I decided to run a fews check test on it. I was shock and horrify when I examine it closely! With black background and max brightness I could see up to 8 - 9 white lit dead pixels! If I look hard enough I think I can even find up to 10 - 12 of them! The backlighting was horrible. It was on all four corners. The left and right look like yellow stain. I can't believe my eyes with the money I paid to get such crud! I thought order it online will make it better. Now seam like I have to contact AppleCare to exchange it.

I never done exchange through AppleCare purchashing online before. Will they let me exchange it with this many dead pixels and the horrible uneven backlighting? How does it work and how long it take? Do they pay for shipping cost and do overnight if possible?

Thank You

europeancannon

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2006
I purchased an ACD 23 incher last week from the UK web store. Manufactured in October (week 44), it had 10 dead pixels and a distinct back lighting issue when viewing a black background. I Immediately called Apple and arranged an exchange, no problems.

Received the second ACD two days later (wow was that fast) and eagerly powered it on only to discover 7 dead pixels and HORRENDOUS backlighting problems - week 43 build according to the chipmunk website. I immediately called Apple and demanded a refund. Spoke to tech support (apparently the backlighting problem can be caused by magnetic interference from the power adaptor) and eventually another RMA was issued.

Anyway, I refused to give up. I visited my local apple store yesterday and purchased another ACD, and this one is virtually flawless - no dead pixels and only a very slight backlighting issue. Third time lucky I guess!

So don't worry about asking for an exchange. In my experience, Apple's customer support is second-to-none. They'll issue you with an RMA number and arrange for pickup and/or exchange at their expense. I'm not sure about next day delivery, but they sure are quick. Go for it!

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
You guys seem to have had very a bad luck with this. My 23" ACD is flawless, which I about about a year ago. No dead pixel. When I buy the screen, I would buy it from the retailer who has the exchange policy during the first 10 to 15 days. I bought mine at CompUSA as the store manager there told him there is the free exchange program if my ACD's condition is not acceptable to my standard (which is very high, to say the least).

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
You guys seem to have had very a bad luck with this. My 23" ACD is flawless, which I about about a year ago. No dead pixel. When I buy the screen, I would buy it from the retailer who has the exchange policy during the first 10 to 15 days. I bought mine at CompUSA as the store manager there told him there is the free exchange program if my ACD's condition is not acceptable to my standard (which is very high, to say the least).

This is a Troll set-up. First guy is an Apple buster, even posted he bought a Dell 24 earlier. The 2nd guy is a straight newbie first poster 'support guy' (establish a failure problem quickly).

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
I don't think this is really a troll thread because the backlighting problem is a big problem in the ACD's lately. Especially the 23"inch model, which seems to also have pink hue and dead pixel issues. Most 20" and 30" models look more clean and very even with it's backlight compared to the 23"inch ACD.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
This is a Troll set-up. First guy is an Apple buster, even posted he bought a Dell 24 earlier. The 2nd guy is a straight newbie first poster 'support guy' (establish a failure problem quickly).

Troll? lol. I'm happy with my Dell 24, but like in some earlier post this 23 ACD is not for me. I bought it for my sister who is doing Graphic Design. She don't know a lot about Computer so I have to check it out for her since it quite expensive monitor. However, to be fair most of the dead pixels I have is actually stucks pixels. A lot of them with black background. Havent check carefully on white background yet.

But yeah I decided to ring AppleCare up, put me through all kind of loops and on hold but finally issue me an RMA number. Hope next one will be better.

Oh btw..I'm not an Apple Buster. I love Apple and love their Hardware, it just seam I have bad luck with them lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.