Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat4

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
So i purchased another 6,1 a whole lot cheaper than the first one. What i bought is not what I got, it pretty clean not too beat up in my mine I think I got a good upgrade.

What I bought
Screenshot 2024-04-30 113442.png

what I got

IMG_5160.jpg

bmoraski

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
Nice ! I love mine. And I picked up a WD black 1 TB for like $70. Great for experimenting etc. I love being able to mess around and not mess up any of my main rigs.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I had one of these in early 2014, and still enjoy the form factor.
Lack of AVX2 really keeps me far away from them now. I assume they're <$250 USD for this config?

pischu12

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2020
So i purchased another 6,1 a whole lot cheaper than the first one. What i bought is not what I got, it pretty clean not too beat up in my mine I think I got a good upgrade.

What I bought
View attachment 2373326

what I got

View attachment 2373327
Absolutely love the 6.1 2013 MacPro who ever calls it whatever name starting with a "T" does not understand how wonderful this machine can be . Congratulations - personally have a 10 core one and it is just perfect for what I do :) with best wishes....

flat4

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I had one of these in early 2014, and still enjoy the form factor.
Lack of AVX2 really keeps me far away from them now. I assume they're <$250 USD for this config?
i payed close to half of that.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I did not bother to check, I am going to reformat even tho it was at the welcome screen and see what I have.

All MacPro6,1 quads have a D300. When you go up with cores, the GPUs are also upgraded.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Absolutely love the 6.1 2013 MacPro who ever calls it whatever name starting with a "T" does not understand how wonderful this machine can be . Congratulations - personally have a 10 core one and it is just perfect for what I do :) with best wishes....
They were cool when they came out but were quickly outpaced by Hackintosh builds. Luckily I escaped owning one; but it would be cool to have one just as a museum piece, kind of like a G4 cube would be cool.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Congratulations! I picked one up years ago (for a lot more than you did) and love the form factor. It was my most capable Mac until I acquired an M1 Studio Ultra. Still love the form factor and wish Apple would release an AS version, especially since the main complaint against the 6,1 is now embedded in all current Macs.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
They were cool when they came out but were quickly outpaced by Hackintosh builds. Luckily I escaped owning one; but it would be cool to have one just as a museum piece, kind of like a G4 cube would be cool.
Then again didn't every Intel Mac get outpaced quickly by Hackintoshes? Especially those running Xeons.
Never had one personally so I kinda wonder how trouble free the experience might be.

Museum piece is where mine will end up when I'm done with it. SGI o2 is one I also wouldn't mind having to complement the Trashcan - had a great looking one but sold it way back in the day for chump change. Argh. ;)

Reactions: avkills

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
Long live the 6,1! Would be cool if Apple released an AS powered version. I have it on my desk with Monterey installed but my MBP is my main computer.

My 6,1 did save me a trip to the Apple Store recently to revive my MBP firmware. I had Configurator installed on the 6,1 and used a TB2-to-TB3 adapter to plug my 6,1 into a TB3 powered hub that was plugged into the MBP, and it actually worked to restore my MBP firmware (restored latest firmware). I thought that was pretty cool. The reason for the refresh is my MBP kept saying I couldn’t store anymore fingerprints, so booted into Recovery and ran a command in Terminal that was supposed to clear the T2 but that basically bricked the MBP until I revived the firmware. So 6,1 to the rescue in 2024!

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

They are lovely machines to look at. Mine is still quite good (it is pristine). However I only use it if I'm taking it somewhere else mobile where I don't want to use the Macbook Air (the 6,1 still seems faster at a lot of things I do which is interesting).

Otherwise I have a quite high spec 2019 Mac Pro I use majority of the time with a pair of 5K screens.

Reminder that machine is maxed out at mac os 12 and that release is about to get off of security support.

There are loads of people using even older 4,1 and 5,1 Macs and with various OpenCore iterations, even Sonoma running through OCLP so I suspect the 6,1 will keep on for quite a while in one form or another. The very creative technically minded folks always seem to find a way to keep things going.

Other than that, there is always Windows.

Last edited:

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
They are lovely machines to look at. Mine is still quite good (it is pristine). However I only use it if I'm taking it somewhere else mobile where I don't want to use the Macbook Air (the 6,1 still seems faster at a lot of things I do which is interesting).

Otherwise I have a quite high spec 2019 Mac Pro I use majority of the time with a pair of 5K screens.

There are loads of people using even older 4,1 and 5,1 Macs and with various OpenCore iterations, even Sonoma running through OCLP so I suspect the 6,1 will keep on for quite a while in one form or another. The very creative technically minded folks always seem to find a way to keep things going.

Other than that, there is always Windows.
Windows yuck try unix or linux instead.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.