Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Took delivery of my new M1 MBA last week Thursday and have now had it for over a week and so far so good, have to say I am incredibly happy with this machine, especially using it with my iPad Pro with the Side Car feature, truly impressive.

The last time I had a MBA was back in 2018 when I had a 2015 i5 MBA, even though it was not a powerful machine I was so happy with it due to the incredible keyboard and software experience, as my work mostly requires the usage of online platforms and some Excel and Powerpoint, it was perfect.

I got the M1 as I plan on doing a lot of web browsing, social media, lite bits of video editing for my YouTube channel on iMovie and also using it for work/side projects I want to do, once again none of them need anything super powerful, mostly online platform based along with some MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint stuff now and then.

So far it has handled everything I throw at it very well, I also love how small, lite and compact it is, truly is just right for me. The battery life of this machine is also really great compared to my work Dell Core i5 which constantly has its fan on, lol. The M1 MBA barely gets warm with the same usage.

The only thing that I have not liked is using Google Chrome initially, but after playing around with settings it seems to be fine, I mostly use Safari + Wipr combo on my Apple devices anyway and it is working beautifully on the M1 MBA.

Not quite sure when support for this device will end, but given how well it is running on MacOS Sonoma, I am guessing it should be good for a few more years where I will then reassess if I need something more powerful or just another standard MBA to replace this one.

Overall, truly spectacular device by Apple here, wish I had bought it sooner actually, lol!

Anyone else still using an M1 MBA here? How are you finding it?

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2024
Thanks for the info.

I do not have one but am considering ordering an M1 model - Best Buy has them for $750. I will only be using it when I am on vacation so I don't want to spend a lot and the weight of the 13.3" is perfect.

Reactions: Tsepz

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I will only be using it when I am on vacation so I don't want to spend a lot and the weight of the 13.3" is perfect.
I carried a M2 Air (13") for 26 days while traveling in Europe. The device worked flawlessly. I have also taken the device on several trips within the U.S., some of those in my RV. I had no issues with the device.

I can say that the 13" screen fits well on the tray table in an airplane. I was able to watch some movies and do some minor productivity stuff while on the airplane.

The M1 Air will function just as nicely. A good choice for many, especially at the new price point.

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2024
Thank for the advice. I ordered one not long after my post - will be here tomorrow.

I am moving from Windows and bought a Mac Mini a couple of weeks ago. Went better than expected (the last Apple I had was an Apple II in 1980). My travel laptop is long in the tooth and needed to be replaced.

Reactions: Tsepz and Saturn007

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I ordered the M2 air because i wanted a laptop that will last me 6-8 years and I don't think that Apple will support the M1 for much more than one maybe two new OS updates. Here is my reasoning.

The M1 was the first Apple Silicon chip that they purpose built for Mac Computers. Yes it make it into the Ipad, but I think that the support for the ipad will likely get dropped in the next couple of years and that wlll likely take the M1 mac's along with it.

As well, as this chip was the first, it was used at the gateway chip to see if they could convince all the users to move over to Apple Silicon for Mac from Intel. It was used as a giant beta test to see really how it worked. The results were good but if you look at the chip evolutions, the M2 chip did undergo quite some significant changes more than just a speed bump.

AI will be the next big thing. Its all that ever makes it into the news these days when they talk about technology. Its AI enabled this that and other. Lets face it Microsoft is releasing a new version of Windows later this year that takes advantage of the new AI functions. So what would that effect the M1? well, it seem that was one of the bigger changes inside the chip for M2 and M3 the hardware around AI. So they will release the next version of MacOS that is going to have new improved AI built into the OS. This will require the hardware changes in the M2 and M3 chips with the newer ARM standard. So they will support the M1 with a lesser software support or reduced functionality but it will be the death coffin nails I think for that chipset that will be 5 years when that OS ships, and I think dropped after the 6th year.
So from my persective, is it smarter to pay $200 more now for the M2, or write off $500-1000 depending on what and if I can sell the M1 air in two years time.

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2024
I might be paranoid but AI is one of the reasons I am leaving Windows behind - I go back to DOS days. I only use OneDrive for things I don't care who sees it. AI, embedded in the OS means I have no control over what Microsoft is looking at on my PC and they are not trustworthy now.

For now, Apple is the lesser of evils. If they head in the same direction, I will switch to Linux.

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
I might be paranoid but AI is one of the reasons I am leaving Windows behind - I go back to DOS days. I only use OneDrive for things I don't care who sees it. AI, embedded in the OS means I have no control over what Microsoft is looking at on my PC and they are not trustworthy now.

For now, Apple is the lesser of evils. If they head in the same direction, I will switch to Linux.
Do you see your data as that economically valuable to big tech that they'd steal from you or compromise your future?

tbgb50

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2024
I keep digital copies of financial documents I wouldn't share with my family. A simple example is my estate plan. I also have substantial investments that are no one's business.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
M1 is still a very impressive chip, I have one in my iPad Pro and got an m2 air as I preferred the design of. Couldn't get past the big bezels on the previous airs but thats just a personal preference.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
The M1 Air is easily the best bang for the buck Apple product I've bought in a very long time. At the rate it's going, they'll probably be onto M4 chips before I could justify upgrading mine.

Reactions: Howard2k and Tsepz

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015

hate to break it to you but it's already too late for you. have you got an iPhone? its using AI inside of it. How do you think that any of the phones camera features work? they all use some form of AI to fill in pixels for resolution, eliminate camera shake, blur out in portrait mode etc.

They will use the AI for improved spell and grammar checking in the OS . a million and one improvements that will be coming. Not sold as AI but the features behind them are using the AI process

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I keep trying to think of reasons to do a little retail therapy and replace my M1 Air with something newer, but I keep coming back to the fact that it's already so damned great - I don't need anything else. It's just such a perfect size, and still as snappy as the day I bought it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I keep trying to think of reasons to do a little retail therapy and replace my M1 Air with something newer, but I keep coming back to the fact that it's already so damned great - I don't need anything else. It's just such a perfect size, and still as snappy as the day I bought it.
Yep, have to say I am using it more and more, it keeps bringing me to the question on whether I should replace my iPad Pro in a few years or just upgrade to a newer MBA as the MBA is now filling up a lot of what I used to do on my iPad Pro.

I never thought I needed a full fledged laptop but more and more as I began editing videos in my spare time I realised I needed something both HW and SW wise that was more geared towards a full-fledged desktop computer and I am finding the MBA absolutely perfect for what I needed it for but now it is filling in other areas like web browsing, content consumption while travelling etc...better than the iPad Pro did to, lol. Even my iPhone is catching a break as I installed WhatsApp for Mac on the MBA and now I find it much easier to just do it all on my MBA when I am at home on the couch.

Reactions: dmr727

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Yep, have to say I am using it more and more, it keeps bringing me to the question on whether I should replace my iPad Pro in a few years or just upgrade to a newer MBA as the MBA is now filling up a lot of what I used to do on my iPad Pro.

I never thought I needed a full fledged laptop but more and more as I began editing videos in my spare time I realised I needed something both HW and SW wise that was more geared towards a full-fledged desktop computer and I am finding the MBA absolutely perfect for what I needed it for but now it is filling in other areas like web browsing, content consumption while travelling etc...better than the iPad Pro did to, lol. Even my iPhone is catching a break as I installed WhatsApp for Mac on the MBA and now I find it much easier to just do it all on my MBA when I am at home on the couch.

I got a brand new M1 Air late last year too. $800 equivalent which is great value IMO. Better than any other laptop at that price point for general usage I think.

I've thought about replacing my mac with an ipad but everything seems like a downgrade. You have to hold the screen up to watch stuff, whatever attachable keyboard you buy for an ipad is way inferior to a mac keyboard and track pad, once you buy the magic keyboard it's the same price or more than an Air, with that keyboard it's clumsy and top heavy, you can't install apps outside the app store, and it's just not a fully fledged OS like macOS is.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022

I was in the market for an iPad Pro last year and opted for a M2 MBA base model that was on sale at Best Buy. I'm glad I went this direction.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I got a brand new M1 Air late last year too. $800 equivalent which is great value IMO. Better than any other laptop at that price point for general usage I think.

I've thought about replacing my mac with an ipad but everything seems like a downgrade. You have to hold the screen up to watch stuff, whatever attachable keyboard you buy for an ipad is way inferior to a mac keyboard and track pad, once you buy the magic keyboard it's the same price or more than an Air, with that keyboard it's clumsy and top heavy, you can't install apps outside the app store, and it's just not a fully fledged OS like macOS is.
This 100%, completely agreed!
I had actually been shopping around for a Magic Keyboard for my iPad Pro and the MGK price made absolutely no sense versus just getting an MBA.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I got an M1 about one year ago as a secondary Mac for travel. I didn't want to spend much because it's not my main machine, and I had a choice between a base M2 or a base M1 but with the 16GB RAM upgrade for the same price. I chose the M1 because some of my work needs the extra RAM.

I've been so impressed by this machine. It does a lot of what I need and I even end up taking it to the office most days when I don't need the extra power of my M1 Max MBP, which is most of the time. I think the extra RAM helps for my use case (I need to run VMs every day), and I much prefer taking this around instead of my MBP.

Apple really hit a home run with the M1 MBA. I got AppleCare+ on it so will use it for at least another two years and then see what's out there if I feel it's time to upgrade. I expect it will continue to run my workload well for some time. This little fanless computer even runs Death Stranding at respectable frame rates!

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
My daughter has the one I bought on day one when it came out. Zero problems with it both on ability to do the work demanded of it and the reliability has been top notch.

I have an 11" iPad Pro at the moment with magic keyboard and I am actually finding it to be vastly inferior to the MBA. I may swap it out for an M2 yet (my main machine is an M2 Mac Mini).

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
I am also a big fan of the M1 Macbook Air. I'm a mental health therapist and do notes during session. I'm on my laptop all day for 8-10 hours and it always works perfectly with no issues. Easily my best tech product and I also stopped using my older ipad at all because I prefer using the laptop for everything.

JLH81

macrumors regular
May 10, 2016
I've had my M1 since they debuted, and I absolutely love it! It has worked flawlessly, and I have considered upgrading to an M2 MBA, but then I keep falling back on what is the point. I have messed around with an M2 MBA, and honestly, I didn't see much of a difference (if any) from my current M1. Granted, I don't do intensive work, but for my needs, I honestly won't have to upgrade for a couple of years. However, since I like the newest technology, I am sure I will upgrade, but the reality is, there is NO reason why I need to upgrade my M1 any time soon!

Reactions: StoneJack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.