Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So I do buy a lot of computers; I've bashed this computer before. I've used friends' and family members' Airs before. They felt very good and I said if I even got a Mac desktop, I'd get the Air… well I got it now.

This machine is very fast; those reviews that say it's slow than all the other computers in the line-up do not do this computer any justice. The weight and heft difference compared to a 13" MacBook and 15" MacBook Pro is substantial (I've carried both before). I can't feel it in my bag and it fits between my notebooks without any issues. It's a lot thinner than I've thought before.

Boot up is almost speedy, Photoshop CS4 opens in 3 seconds, so does Word 2008. Browsers and other built-in programs are practically instant. After a full day of use, the battery lasted be about 5.5 hours which is excellent. This is with 50% brightness, with wireless and Bluetooth both on. The battery charges very quickly; I can see my self using about a cycle and half a day, so that's very nice to have.

Gray lines and yellowing that I've read about is non-existent. After a calibration the color looks great too; the glossy isn't as bad as the glass on the other aluminium machines. A separate trackpad button is also might have. Drag and drops are so much easier.

I don't care that there is no connectivity. A full OS X installation through the Ethernet took about 25 minutes. A portable USB drive got all the rest of the soft installed. Otherwise I haven't found a use the USB, headphone, or display out jack. I think the connectivity compromise is fine for my needs.

Again I should reiterate that this is computer is fast. Christ not only is it fast, it's easy to use. The curved up sides is perfect since it fits and rests perfectly on my legs—no sliding left and right at all.

That said, I think this is a good secondary computer—after you already have a primary machine. I know if I didn't have desktop connected to all my peripherals this machine would be inadequate. My advice for people is to get this machine if you're looking for an additional laptop to top off and complement your Apple addiction.

I'm waiting on the Palmguard to arrive and with that, I think this machine will be absolutely perfect. I think the backlit keyboard is absolutely pointless. I touch-type, so again that "feature" is more of a distraction. Just my 2 cents I guess.

This computer is worth every cent. With a student discount and the iPod already sold, I love it.

Anyways, this is first time I've written so much about a computer I just bought. I shows how satisfied I am with my recent acquisition. Just picking up the computer effortlessly makes me happy.

On a side note, I can't wait to test how long the battery will last when I have my 222Whr external battery connected :D

thelonepixel

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Which model did you get I am looking at the 2.16Ghz with the SSD, I am happy to see that you are running CS4 without any problems. I am a little hesitant with the price $1700, when I can get a refurbished 17" UMBP for $1900 with the 2.93Ghz

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Which model did you get I am looking at the 2.16Ghz with the SSD, I am happy to see that you are running CS4 without any problems. I am a little hesitant with the price $1700, when I can get a refurbished 17" UMBP for $1900 with the 2.93Ghz

Yes I have the 2.13GHz model the SSD. I bought it at the Apple Store, so that's the only configuration they have with the SSD.

thelonepixel

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009
Do you think the Air is worth the Apple Premium? I am replacing my dead Macbook Pro Unibody 15", I also have a 20" Imac so it will not be my only computer. However I am sort of leaning towards a refurbished 17" macbook pro. :confused:

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
^^^ Since the OP claims it's fast it absolutely must be the SSD version. The HDD model is anything but fast - no, it's extremely slow. It's night and day difference.

Only thing I disagree with is the OP stating only good as secondary computer do to connectivity issues - ie, lack of ports. I use the 24" LED ACD, and it's the perfect docking station for MBA. Also, either a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme Base Station w/drive connected, and printer connected to it eliminates connectivity issues. All other peripherals connect to USB hub on ACD. Use MobileMe with it, and you have the absolutely perfect Mac setup.

MobileMe service not only has iDisk but also allows your MBA to connect to drive connected to TC or AEBS. I don't believe the vast majority of Mac "consumer" users would need an iMac or other primary Mac to use with this MBA setup. The MBA with SSD feels like a Mac Pro when connected to the stunning 24" LED ACD. It's better than an iMac as display is far richer with LED backlighting. I don't know many people that have one system that's as portable as the MBA yet powerful and fast with plenty of workspace when connected to ACD.

I am amazed by this MBA daily! People that complain about connectivity issues aren't taking advantage of the peripherals and MobileMe service available. Anyone that says it needs to be secondary for more workspace at desk/office haven't hooked it up to the 24" ACD. Leave the power cable in the bag too, as the 24" ACD has power to the MBA, speakers, web cam, and hub in addition.

Accept no substitute and it doesn't need to be "SECONDARY" to any other Mac. Prepare to be amazed daily!

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
I don't care that there is no connectivity. A full OS X installation through the Ethernet took about 25 minutes.

did you use a USB to ethernet port converter? - how much of a slow down is it compared to a full ethernet 1000 Base T connection on my MP?

my one and only draw back right now with getting a MBA is the 2GB RAM limitation

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
SSD makes all the difference

Compared to my 2.4ghz MBP with a HD and the Air with a SSD the SSD wins pretty much every time.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
i love my air,

i ordered a 128gb runcore 4 for it....should be in soon.

its the same as stock ssd except significantly faster on random reads and writes.

the air is a great machine....i use it more then my 17"...which im now selling.

the air will be my sole machine.

hope you enjoy yours!

bryng

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2003
I picked a new MBA up last week on a trip to the US (where the ailing US dollar gave me about a third off the local price). I got a 2.13 / 128 SSD.

My 2.4 15" MBP hasn't been that reliable (it's had pretty much everything replaced at some point under AppleCare), and I wanted something that was easier to carry around. The 15" can get quite heavy in my satchel (I walk to work, and Wellington is a city where you can and do walk most places).

The MBA is great. No issues with lines, and it is really, really fast for most day to day applications. I have noticed it is slower for straight encoding jobs, but that is to be expected. Though on the other hand I've also definitely noticed the benefits from offloading H264 decoding to the GPU. So I'd call that even.

I've got Final Cut installed, with the support files on a small external HD when I need them (set up via some symbolic linking). I found the LaCie Little Disk and Core4 Hub to be very stylish additions to the machine (their built in cables also minimise clutter), plus a new foofbag to keep the machine scratch-free.

The 9400m is great for what I've thrown at it. WoW runs really well. I'm really looking forward to getting Snow Leopard on this thing, as the Rev C MBA was clearly put together to take advantage of it.

It's a great little machine and I can't see how I'd ever go back to something heavier for day-to-day use.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Do you think the Air is worth the Apple Premium? I am replacing my dead Macbook Pro Unibody 15", I also have a 20" Imac so it will not be my only computer. However I am sort of leaning towards a refurbished 17" macbook pro. :confused:

What Apple premium? It's cheaper than the Dell Adamo and it runs comparably priced to the Lenovo X301 (albeit, the X301 is a better machine)

Accept no substitute and it doesn't need to be "SECONDARY" to any other Mac. Prepare to be amazed daily!

For many people it is their primary machine (my father included); again it's really my option, but it does lack a lot connectivity. 2 USB ports should be the bare minimum for proper connectivity.

did you use a USB to ethernet port converter? - how much of a slow down is it compared to a full ethernet 1000 Base T connection on my MP?

my one and only draw back right now with getting a MBA is the 2GB RAM limitation

Yes the adapter is the only way to use Ethernet; fortunately it's now included with the computer. Apart from the installation, I only use wireless, so I can't really say how much slower faster it is. I set up my MBA my MP as a Time Machine volume and I got about 9MB/s, so that was fast enough for me.

Yes it does lack a bit of RAM; for a computer at this price, 4GB should be standard. Another reason I believe this is a better secondary computer.

------

Now back to the machine, I've noticed a few issues:
1) The fans absolutely sucks. It gets hot and then the fans spins up, but the temperature doesn't go down! The aluminium probably works just was well passive.
2) My computer looks bent. When I bought it, the lid was crooked (and it is still), and I didn't really care. How the whole chassis seems to be bent downward from where the keyboard area meets the trackpad.
3) The backlight bleeds a little. I can see it.
4) The feet gets scratched very easily.

Otherwise the computer still rocks, is still fast.

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
What Apple premium? It's cheaper than the Dell Adamo and it runs comparably priced to the Lenovo X301 (albeit, the X301 is a better machine)

For many people it is their primary machine (my father included); again it's really my option, but it does lack a lot connectivity. 2 USB ports should be the bare minimum for proper connectivity.

Yes the adapter is the only way to use Ethernet; fortunately it's now included with the computer. Apart from the installation, I only use wireless, so I can't really say how much slower faster it is. I set up my MBA my MP as a Time Machine volume and I got about 9MB/s, so that was fast enough for me.

Yes it does lack a bit of RAM; for a computer at this price, 4GB should be standard. Another reason I believe this is a better secondary computer.

------

Now back to the machine, I've noticed a few issues:
1) The fans absolutely sucks. It gets hot and then the fans spins up, but the temperature doesn't go down! The aluminium probably works just was well passive.
2) My computer looks bent. When I bought it, the lid was crooked (and it is still), and I didn't really care. How the whole chassis seems to be bent downward from where the keyboard area meets the trackpad.
3) The backlight bleeds a little. I can see it.
4) The feet gets scratched very easily.

Otherwise the computer still rocks, is still fast.

Fans always have sucked on the Air. LOL

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
What Apple premium? It's cheaper than the Dell Adamo and it runs comparably priced to the Lenovo X301 (albeit, the X301 is a better machine.

Actually the Adamo is now cheaper. The adamo is $1499 and comes with a 128gb ssd while the $1399 MBA has a hard drive.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Actually the Adamo is now cheaper. The adamo is $1499 and comes with a 128gb ssd while the $1399 MBA has a hard drive.

i dont know where you get your pricing....

but dells site says 1999 cad for the 128ssd....apple is 2099 for 128 sd and a significantly faster cpu.

the adamo is in no way cheaper....the cpu is crap , the power plug is not magsafe and the software is terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.