Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I just got my new shiny MacBook and a SpyderX, did several calibrations (30 on time, well lit room, ext.) and my first print… It washed out. ?

I’m sure I’m missing some setting somewhere, but I’ve no idea how to go about this. Reading randomly online there are so many variables and then some sites say the same things over and over.

The crux of it all is this: What settings should I adjust for a remotely decent print?

thank you for any advice.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Too many unknowns to answer that question. What software and printer are you using? Generally speaking, if the printer is supported and you have selected the right driver then that should get you pretty close. Being washed out suggests something in the printer driver parameters may have been tweaked or messed up. Or maybe something as simple as you are low or out of one of the inks in your printer, clogged head or even choice of paper.

Last edited:

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Too many unknowns to answer that question. What software and printer are you using? Generally speaking, if the printer is supported and you have selected the right driver then that should get you pretty close. Being washed out suggests something in the printer driver parameters may have been tweaked or messed up. Or maybe something as simple as you are low or out of one of the inks in your printer, clogged head or even choice of paper.

Affinity Photo
Canon G7020

I checked the printer’s support page and there aren’t any drivers or software for it.

I checked the printer and it full of fresh ink, ran a test, etc.

Thank you for you help. I’m really unknowledgeable about printing So really thank you.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
After I saw you're reply and after a lot of reading. Now I'm worried I made an uninformed purchase in regards to my end goal… The SpyderX does monitors, but I need something more like this…?

Or maybe calibrating my printer is something I do from my computer?

I'm so confused now… I didn't realize this would be so complicated.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
1) what software are you using to print with?
does it support ColorSync?
2) are you using the icc profiles for the paper you're using?

Reactions: hobowankenobi

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
1) Affinity Photo
2) I had trouble finding icc profiles for my printer, the paper, etc… Maybe I’m using the wrong search terms which are messing up my results?

I really appreciate your replies on this. thank you.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
The only sure way for consistent colour is a closed loop: your screen(s), your printer(s), and your software must all use the correct colour profiles for both. To do so, both your screen(s) and your printer(s) must be calibrated with a hardware device (you already did this for your screen).

Your printer must also be calibrated - and calibrated for each combination of ink and paper type.

Which means you are half way there, as you probably realized as well.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
are you printing on photo paper?
what brand? what surface type (glossy, matte, art canvas?)

what settings are you using in affinity photo when printing?
(colorsync, paper type, etc)

cedesigns

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2022
Wisconsin
I just got my new shiny MacBook and a SpyderX, did several calibrations (30 on time, well lit room, ext.) and my first print… It washed out. ?

I’m sure I’m missing some setting somewhere, but I’ve no idea how to go about this. Reading randomly online there are so many variables and then some sites say the same things over and over.

The crux of it all is this: What settings should I adjust for a remotely decent print?

thank you for any advice.
What program are your using - are you printing in RGB or CMYK makes a big difference - what do you have your work space setting to?

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Wow, so many people are helping me now. Thank you!!

Let’s see if I can provide all the right info…

Paper: Southworth 8.5"W x 11"L Cover Paper 65 lbs. Linen Finish 666126 (bought here)
ColorSync Support: I believe so. How can I best confirm this? Custom color profiles (.icc) can be loaded for soft proofing?
Color Space : CMYK for printing. 300dpi.
Printer(s): I was printing to a Canon G7020 with fresh ink, but we also have an MX922 which is low on ink.

I hope I got everything. Thank you everybody for helping me.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
i would start by trying some actual photo paper.

that cover paper will not produce anything like photo colors.

a 300 pack of kirkland 4x6 paper is only 20$.
(typically, i'll use a glossy canon paper profile for that)

it's a cheap way to see the difference between print and photo paper.
you should see something closer to your calibrated screen image.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
I repeat: the only dependable method to have consistent colour matches between your screen and your printer(s) with different papers (and possibly inks) is to invest in hardware to calibrate all hardware and create ICC profiles for each. That closed colour management loop is otherwise not possible.

All else is wishful thinking.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Yeah, I’m in agreement. Your input gave me valuable info on what I should read, do, and buy (when funds permit) next. I’ll try to invest in the hardware. Sounds like it's unavoidable if I'm not going to use whatever is already profiled and listed on manufacturers' sites. So many printers and papers… ?‍? It’s expensive so I might have to shelve this for a little bit, but I’ve certainly got quite that project ahead.

If you’ve any suggestions for hardware I’m open. I don't mind spending in the short term if it means better results in the long term. I bought a Mac, didn't I? ? Even if not, then you’ve given me a good direction to go and I feel like I’ve learned a lot. Thank you.

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
don't invest in the printer hardware calibration yet!

try printing to paper which is designed for photos.

the paper you specified earlier will still looked washed out
even after calibration because it's not designed for photos.

if you don't want 300 pieces of 4x6, target also has smaller quantities of photo paper for under 10$.

if the results are closer to what you expect to match with your screen,
then invest in the printer calibration to dial it in.

i think you will see a huge difference between non-photo paper and photo paper
in this application.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
The paper I'm aiming to print on is the one I'm using. I probably should've specified which is my error, but I'm not printing photos. I'm making cards. I've printed on standard paper of various weights, brightnesses, brands, etc. and the washed out colors are the same regardless. I don't have photo paper around so it would take time to ship. I can try photo paper too, but will that help my goal of printing cards on the paper chosen? Should I be using a different application if I'm not specifically printing photos on photo paper? Or are the other settings for non-photo prints?

I'm confused all over again… I really don't mean to make things complicated. ?

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I repeat: the only dependable method to have consistent colour matches between your screen and your printer(s) with different papers (and possibly inks) is to invest in hardware to calibrate all hardware and create ICC profiles for each. That closed colour management loop is otherwise not possible.

All else is wishful thinking.
One can get close with photo paper and supplied ICC profiles for that paper...for the printer being used.

This would be the fastest, easiest, and cheapest place to start. Creating custom ICC profiles is more than most hobbyists need, or at least would be the last thing to tackle.

The easiest thing is buy paper and ink from the same company as the printer...it may not be the cheapest, nor the most options, but both Epson and Canon supplies (for the corresponding printers) deliver good to very good results without too much work.

Reactions: lcubed

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I would add that if you save files as PDFs, don't print from Preview. Usually fine, but occasionally sees a weird color shift. Acrobat is great, but if you don't have that, I would try Adobe Reader over Preview.

Most applications that support ColorSync (ICC profiles) should print well, as long as you select both the correct paper and corresponding profile. I expect Affiniity Photo is fine to print from.

Also keep in mind that "photo" paper is not just for photos/images. Color accuracy and sharpness, as well as smooth gradients all are best on photo grade paper generally...regardless of the finish. While not card stock at 42 lbs, even a basic matte photo paper like this should produce decent colors with the corresponding ICC profile.

Keep in mind that your printer is only a 4 ink system. High-quality inkjet printing can use up to 12 inks to produce a very wide and accurate gamut.

nobodyhome

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I'm taking notes on everything everybody is sharing with me. ? Thank you! I feel like if I apply the things shared here I should get much closer to my targeted result. I'll try some photo paper once I get my hands on some. ? Also, thank you for the link about Affinity. That will be very helpful as well. I can't afford a better printer yet (the ones we have are my family's), but I hope to up my game and learn a lot more as I go along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.