Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Got an MBA as a present a few days ago but I am struggling to think of really what to do with with it. I have a Macbook Pro already so it not as it I need another laptop to carry around. Also as the Air only has 2GB of ram which means I can't run it as a my main machine since I use VMWare a lot for work. Lastly the HD is only 128GB which is about 100GB too small for all my files.

But with that all said it is a damn sexy machine not to mention fast and quiet.

Any tips or hints on how I can move this into my workflow (btw I am a programmer for Windows and an occasional photographer)

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Just start taking it with you. I've got a 15" MacBook Pro that I use as my production machine, but hate to lug it around. With an Air, you can just take it with you, or slip it in a backpack, or do whatever you'd like, and you don't even notice it.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
4. Download MacMAME and start playing some 'ol classic arcade games like PacMan.
5. Combine 1+4 and all the chicks will come to you. Oh yeah :D

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Use it?

I use my air as a primary machine and work with vmware fusion and parallels desktop frequently. Besides the non stop 6200rpm fan, it runs great. But majority of my virtual machines are XP or Linux flavored. The most resource hungry would be my Windows 7 (Previously Vista) for beta testing

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
enjoying it so far

So far so good. I have really enjoyed using it. The keyboard does take a bit getting use to after using the old MBP keyboard.

I have to say the SSD simply makes this machine fly like no other machine I have used previously. There is like no wait for any file related activities it is simply amazing.

The screen is sharp and beautiful colours overall but mine has a stuck red pixel so it's not perfect. A mod I'll consider in future will probably changing the LCD to a 1440x900 unit which would give me the same work space as the 15inch.

More ram would have been great but 2GB is sufficient for most workloads except running my VMs (they use 1 to 3 gb each).

Overall I like it so far but it would definitely be a complement machine as the HD is just not big enough to be able to hold most of what I own. It is way more than a toy netbook most people compare it to.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
To make it the ultimate setup...

On the go it's an amazingly quick Mac, a powerful ultraportable.

Use it with a 24" LED ACD - With stunning graphics, plenty of workspace, speakers, web cam, USB hub, and power for the MBA built-in, it becomes a desktop.

Use an AEBS or Time Capsule for remote access to all files you need and peripherals plugged into USB port.

Add MobileMe and you not only get iDisk and other tools, but you also gain ability to access all of your AEBS/Time Capsule drives over the Internet.

Finally, use an Apple wireles. KB while at desktop and a BT mighty mouse. Plug all other USB devices into the ACD's USB hub.

The perfect system in my opinion, and it's my only computer. Feels like a speedy capable notebook yet the size of an ultraportable. At the couch it's the perfect Internet surfer. At the desk it feels like a Mac Pro as the SSD makes the MBA scream with its Nvidia GPU and Intel Core 2 Duo CPU it's the ultimate system.

In case you haven't noticed, I am amazed by the MBA, daily!

MacAhoy

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Air + Mobile Me + Time Capsule -?

Add MobileMe and you not only get iDisk and other tools, but you also gain ability to access all of your AEBS/Time Capsule drives over the Internet.

..In case you haven't noticed, I am amazed by the MBA, daily!

Hi there Scottsdale -

I recently bought a refurb Time Capsule to go with my lovely rev C Air (= a great deal! :) How do I use MobileMe to access the Capsule over the 'net? I would love for my Windows-using friends in the UK to be able to download some large iPhoto slideshows (which I have converted into Quicktime movies) directly from my Time Capsule, instead of from my iDisk storage, if possible.

Thanks!
MacAhoy

run-kmc

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Put the fact you have it on your resume. People will think you mean Masters of Business Administration.

umgoblue2008

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008

On the go it's an amazingly quick Mac, a powerful ultraportable.

Use it with a 24" LED ACD - With stunning graphics, plenty of workspace, speakers, web cam, USB hub, and power for the MBA built-in, it becomes a desktop.

Use an AEBS or Time Capsule for remote access to all files you need and peripherals plugged into USB port.

Finally, use an Apple wireles. KB while at desktop and a BT mighty mouse. Plug all other USB devices into the ACD's USB hub.

The perfect system in my opinion, and it's my only computer. Feels like a speedy capable notebook yet the size of an ultraportable. At the couch it's the perfect Internet surfer. At the desk it feels like a Mac Pro as the SSD makes the MBA scream with its Nvidia GPU and Intel Core 2 Duo CPU it's the ultimate system.

In case you haven't noticed, I am amazed by the MBA, daily!

I used to have that setup before buying a Mac Pro. It's a nice setup cept anytime i watch flash or HD video (VLC or quicktime) it stutters and fan goes to the max. The Air is a nice mobile work computer on the couch/at school. When I need more power i hop on to my Pro.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I used to have that setup before buying a Mac Pro. It's a nice setup cept anytime i watch flash or HD video (VLC or quicktime) it stutters and fan goes to the max. The Air is a nice mobile work computer on the couch/at school. When I need more power i hop on to my Pro.

Well you probably didn't have a rev B/C if yours was a stutterer... The original was the affected MBA with serious problems. Original had Merom CPU, PATA drive, Intel graphics... all problematic. The problem is still people report their problems, and 95% of time after asking realize their's was an original MBA.

The MBA that ruined the brand before it ever got started! It's too bad the rev B wasn't the first MBA. Would have been far different overall opinion of the MBA. The big factors for upgrade are Nvidia GPU, Penryn CPU (low voltage), and SATA.

I have NEVER had a stuttering video on either my rev B/C with 1.86/2.13 GHz and both with SSD.

The SSD is really a MUST DO option now. The MBA is all the way down to $1799 with SSD. It's a bargain for what one gets. In fact, the whole "perfect setup" only costs less than the original or rev B MBAs with SSD... $3099 and $2499...

refurbished setup now.

MBA 2.13 GHz SSD - $1549
24" LED ACD - $599
Time Capsule Dual Band - $199
MobileMe - $50 (Amazon)

So, the perfect overall solution is less than the rev B at 1.86 with SSD just a few months ago at $2499. And if you figure the original was $3099, it's a no brainer of a deal...

I just wish more people would get that the B/C and SSD is so different in every way. Even the SSD is 10x the computer of HDD model. The small difference in price now is a NO BRAINER. It just isn't the money it used to be. And for $1299 one can get a rev B 1.86 with SSD... I don't get why anyone would buy a rev C 1.86 with HDD for $1499???

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
After having a refurb 2.13/128Gb SSD for a little over a week now, and using it each day, 8-10 hours a day, I have to agree with Scottsdale in that this rev is darn near the perfect portable machine that doesn't perform like a portable machine.. i.e. it's night and day faster than any laptop I've used. Completely blows away any silly netbook I've tried so far. It has shifted my late 2008 unibody 15 inch MBP to "stay at home" status (it just seems like a brick to carry now compared to this Air), and honestly, for what I do, is far faster than the MBP ever could be. Yes, it could use more RAM just to future proof it, but so far in use, I've never dropped below 700MB of free RAM with anything I do. And I usually have quite a few programs running at the same time.

MacAhoy

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
...MBA 2.13 GHz SSD - $1549
24" LED ACD - $599
Time Capsule Dual Band - $199
MobileMe - $50 (Amazon)

Hi Scottsdale -

glad you're back this evening -- could you post a reply to my question (see post #9, above) regarding how to use MobileMe for Time Capsule access?

thanks -! -
MacAhoy

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Hi Scottsdale -

glad you're back this evening -- could you post a reply to my question (see post #9, above) regarding how to use MobileMe for Time Capsule access?

thanks -! -
MacAhoy

It just works. You may have to enable Back to My Mac and make sure you have the right sharing settings.

MacAhoy

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
It just works. You may have to enable Back to My Mac and make sure you have the right sharing settings.

Howdy -OZ --

thanks, I was hoping there's a way to use the Capsule to serve files to my friends in the UK who are not Mac users :( but it appears that this won't be possible since my IP address is dynamic (so no way to tell them how to point their browser to my personal Time Capsule). I wish there were a way to do this -- anybody know anything more?

MacAhoy

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Howdy -OZ --

thanks, I was hoping there's a way to use the Capsule to serve files to my friends in the UK who are not Mac users :( but it appears that this won't be possible since my IP address is dynamic (so no way to tell them how to point their browser to my personal Time Capsule). I wish there were a way to do this -- anybody know anything more?

MacAhoy

No, you can do it with a dynamic IP address. Most dynamic IP addresses actually stay the same if your router is on all the time. But, I think there's a way to have the TC report it to DNS. Or, you can find a secondary DNS provider to link the DNS of that into your network.

It's a pain to setup initially, but it works fine afterwards. Your Internet connection has to be on all the time, and your router gets an IP address. Your TC/AEBS is within it. I had to do a firewall control for the router to allow incoming on a certain port. I don't remember the just, but it was a pain.

Anyways, there are some dynamic DNS services available too, and I think Apple's does it somehow by connecting to DNS with new address if IP address changes.

Anyways, here's the page to start it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3486

The second page shows firewall and connection details.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1109

You can actually call support, which is included with your MobileMe subscription.

Follow ALL INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY! It will take an hour the first time, and you'll never worry about it again.

Good luck.

MacAhoy

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Time Capsule access

No, you can do it with a dynamic IP address.

<snip>

Follow ALL INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY! It will take an hour the first time, and you'll never worry about it again.

Good luck.

Wow, thanks for all this info :)
Once I have some more energy I will be more able to dig into it (I seem to have picked up a sore throat yesterday, so this evening am not feeling quite up to the digesting the instructions........and I might want to get back with you later about them!)

MacAhoy

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
I run parallels on my mini and use the MBA to remote in. Use your MB pro for the heavy lifting and use the MBA as a fancy remote control that is nice to use from the couch.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I run parallels on my mini and use the MBA to remote in. Use your MB pro for the heavy lifting and use the MBA as a fancy remote control that is nice to use from the couch.

That's just the thing... my point of view is that the MBA, rev B/C, with SSD is plenty powerful enough for any consumer's "HEAVY LIFTING." Seriously, I have thrown quite a bit at this, and it's fast and SOLID!

This is NOT an original MBA with problems doing things as simple as playing a YouTube video. With 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, Nvidia GPU (same as in MBP), 1066 MHz RAM, and perhaps most importantly SSD, the MBA is plenty capable for everything from video editing, to web development, to entertainment, to powering up to a 30" Apple Cinema Display while driving HD content, to superportable on the go... this MBA is incredible.

It does NOT need to be "secondary" to any other Mac. Unless you're doing some intensive professional stuff requiring lots of RAM, or want to play video games (which run better on Windows), the MBA is capable and more!

People need to stop with this talk about iMac/MBP doing the heavy lifting... the iMac is a mobile CPU... the 24" LED ACD has USB hub, speakers, web cam, and LED backlit IPS display and when used with the MBA it is the perfect desktop.

The MBA doesn't have a Merom CPU running too much power anymore, it doesn't have overheated Intel integrated graphics, nor DDR2 667 MHz RAM, NOR a PATA drive... the newest MBA runs at over 2 GHz with two cores, and with SSD flies, and mine hasn't overheated or skipped a beat. The fan is always quiet, and the SSD is always FAST! For $1799 new, $1549 refurbished, the rev C MBA is plenty capable!

This is Apple's problem, the original MBA ruined the brand "MBA." I am nearly done defending this little guy, as I feel it has become too much of an investment of my time.

Bottom line, anyone that picks on the MBA with 2.13 GHz and SSD doesn't know what they're talking about! And that's just about all I have to say about it... it gets old, but Apple did bring this on themselves releasing that original POS! It's too bad the rev B wasn't the original... the MBA brand would be golden instead of troubled!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.