Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
hey all, just got an xbox one s for christmas and i love the thing so far.

I have GTA V as a digital download and fortnite as a digital download - and looking for another game or 2 to get. Any reviews on the New COD Black Ops 4?

Also, what is the craze about fortnite?? I have tried playing it for a few hours and don't really find any joy with it...(Not sure if its cause i stink at it or what) I hardly ever even see another player when im on the map.

Reactions: scottcampbell

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Congrats!!! I’m waiting on mine today which means I’ll probably be up realllly late tonight. I’ve heard very good things about Battlefield V and of course Red Dead Redemption II. I’ve played Forza on my grandson’s Xbox and really enjoyed it but I’m partial to racing games.

Whatever you get...enjoy!!!

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Congrats on your new console!

Fortnite is extremely popular for a reason, because it's an excellent game with a very compelling gameplay loop, lasting about 20 minutes (unless you die early).

But one thing it's horrible at is onboarding new players. It has no tutorial.

See if a friend or younger family member can come over and get you started with some tips.

These are the pointers that helped me:
• Aim straight down with the right stick in the air to fall faster from the battle bus. You'll have more time on the map to gather weapons and resources.
• Try to collect a couple hundred wood to build ramps and walls when needed.
• Follow the white line on your mini map to stay in safety from the storm.
• A good loadout will have a shutgun, an assualt rifle, and something with a scope, for short/mid/long range, respectively. It's always a good idea to hold a healing item or two, like bandages/medkits or shield.
• Don't just play to win—you'll probably get 3rd and 2nd place twenty-five times before your first ever victory royale. When you can, practice getting better in combat and in building.
• Building can be intimidating at first, but start small. Before engaging in combat, it helps simply to have a ramp to hide behind and peek over. Placing one wall in front of the ramp (which you can do while standing on the ramp) will protect the ramp from getting shot down.
• Keep moving and jumping. A moving target is much harder to shoot and snipe.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Also, what is the craze about fortnite?? I have tried playing it for a few hours and don't really find any joy with it...(Not sure if its cause i stink at it or what) I hardly ever even see another player when im on the map.

It's the "in style" Battle Royale game right now...

You may want to try Warframe - that's F2P (free to play) as well and may be more up your alley...

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Battlefield V - very good although unfinished. Still has more content to come. Not as buggy as some have made out however. If you like WW2 shooters then it’s good. If you want single player then this game is not for you. It’s heavily multiplayer orientated, and all about team work.

Red Dead 2 - brilliant long single player story. If you buy it then don’t rush it. Play through slowly and just take your time to enjoy the world. Take it slow.

Forza Motorsport 7 - If you like realistic (ish) racing games. If you prefer arcade racers then Forza Horizon 4 is better.

Hitman - should be cheap. Really good fun. Surprisingly good and creative.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Congrats!!! I’m waiting on mine today which means I’ll probably be up realllly late tonight. I’ve heard very good things about Battlefield V and of course Red Dead Redemption II. I’ve played Forza on my grandson’s Xbox and really enjoyed it but I’m partial to racing games.

Whatever you get...enjoy!!!

Hope you enjoyed yours that you got! I have heard really good things about Red Dead Redemption - but never been a fan of battlefield any time i have ever tried to play it.
I have wanted to try out Forza - is it something that can be played daily and doesnt get boring (same thing every day and same types of roads/tracks and such?)

Congrats on your new console!

Fortnite is extremely popular for a reason, because it's an excellent game with a very compelling gameplay loop, lasting about 20 minutes (unless you die early).

But one thing it's horrible at is onboarding new players. It has no tutorial.

See if a friend or younger family member can come over and get you started with some tips.

These are the pointers that helped me:
• Aim straight down with the right stick in the air to fall faster from the battle bus. You'll have more time on the map to gather weapons and resources.
• Try to collect a couple hundred wood to build ramps and walls when needed.
• Follow the white line on your mini map to stay in safety from the storm.
• A good loadout will have a shutgun, an assualt rifle, and something with a scope, for short/mid/long range, respectively. It's always a good idea to hold a healing item or two, like bandages/medkits or shield.
• Don't just play to win—you'll probably get 3rd and 2nd place twenty-five times before your first ever victory royale. When you can, practice getting better in combat and in building.
• Building can be intimidating at first, but start small. Before engaging in combat, it helps simply to have a ramp to hide behind and peek over. Placing one wall in front of the ramp (which you can do while standing on the ramp) will protect the ramp from getting shot down.
• Keep moving and jumping. A moving target is much harder to shoot and snipe.

Thank you! I will have to go over this stuff - I just havent had any luck (normally make it in the top 10-20 but the entire time i am doing so i never even see anyone else in the game and its really annoying) Almost like the maps are too big! lol.

But i do know about getting the whole weapons right away so I can get the good ones and such but dont know anything about the building you are talking about - will have to look into this

It's the "in style" Battle Royale game right now...

You may want to try Warframe - that's F2P (free to play) as well and may be more up your alley...
Thanks - I will check this one out!

Battlefield V - very good although unfinished. Still has more content to come. Not as buggy as some have made out however. If you like WW2 shooters then it’s good. If you want single player then this game is not for you. It’s heavily multiplayer orientated, and all about team work.

Red Dead 2 - brilliant long single player story. If you buy it then don’t rush it. Play through slowly and just take your time to enjoy the world. Take it slow.

Forza Motorsport 7 - If you like realistic (ish) racing games. If you prefer arcade racers then Forza Horizon 4 is better.

Hitman - should be cheap. Really good fun. Surprisingly good and creative.
Thank you! I have been wanting to try out red dead 2 and forza and have had 2 recommendations about it so far so may try to see if redbox has them to test them out for a day or 2.

Never been a fan of battlefield - if im going shooter game than i would go with COD - just always have liked this more - just havent heard many good things about the newest COD BO 4 so have been wary to get it.

What is hitman? Never heard of that game

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Thank you! I have been wanting to try out red dead 2 and forza and have had 2 recommendations about it so far so may try to see if redbox has them to test them out for a day or 2.

Never been a fan of battlefield - if im going shooter game than i would go with COD - just always have liked this more - just havent heard many good things about the newest COD BO 4 so have been wary to get it.

What is hitman? Never heard of that game

For Red Dead 2, take your time and play it slow. Just enjoy the world, rather than powering through it. Xbox One supports backwards compatibility too, so if you can put up with previous-generation graphics, pick up the 360 copy of Red Dead Redemption and you'll get the full story as well. If you're playing these then avoid spoilers for both.

Forza series is split into two different series of games. Forza Motorsport deals with the more realistic circuit racing. It isn't a simulation, but it "believable" racing, is a good way of putting it. Real cars on (mostly) real circuits, and traditional lap racing. The most recent is Forza Motorsport 7. Don't worry about DLC for it - there's a lot. But it's perfectly fine without it.

Forza Horizon series is less realistic. It's open world exploration in a driving format. Often point to point racing, in a less realistic way as you blast over fields and through small towns. It's fun and easier than Forza Motorsport 7. Latest game is Forza Horizon 4, and you can sign up to the Xbox Game Pass, and the game is part of that.

Hitman is an interesting game. There's been lots of them over the years, but it was recently rebooted into a different type of game. Don't worry about the story (there basically isn't one), but you get 6 levels. Each level has someone you must assassinate in it. You can't just run in and shoot them- there are guards, witnesses, etc. You'll have to work out how. You can change disguises to get into restricted areas, murder people in "accidents" such as drowning them, or having them get hit by an object. There are hundreds of ways of doing it, and each level is detailed enough to present you with many options. It's a slow, patient game, but very rewarding. Once you complete the assissination for a level, you get hundreds of side missions for that level too - assissinating othes, which dramatically changes how you'll approach the level.

Hitman is part of the Xbox Game Pass as well, so if you sign up you can try it for free.

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass

I'd heavily recommend at least trying this pass, because some of the games in it are excellent. Games to look at:

• Wolfenstein
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • The Division
  • Tomb Raider
  • Hitman
  • Doom
I'd recommend playing all of those games personally. Doom is especially old school fun. Wolfenstein is great fun too. The Division got a hard time by the community, but I loved it.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
For Red Dead 2, take your time and play it slow. Just enjoy the world, rather than powering through it. Xbox One supports backwards compatibility too, so if you can put up with previous-generation graphics, pick up the 360 copy of Red Dead Redemption and you'll get the full story as well. If you're playing these then avoid spoilers for both.

Forza series is split into two different series of games. Forza Motorsport deals with the more realistic circuit racing. It isn't a simulation, but it "believable" racing, is a good way of putting it. Real cars on (mostly) real circuits, and traditional lap racing. The most recent is Forza Motorsport 7. Don't worry about DLC for it - there's a lot. But it's perfectly fine without it.

Forza Horizon series is less realistic. It's open world exploration in a driving format. Often point to point racing, in a less realistic way as you blast over fields and through small towns. It's fun and easier than Forza Motorsport 7. Latest game is Forza Horizon 4, and you can sign up to the Xbox Game Pass, and the game is part of that.

Hitman is an interesting game. There's been lots of them over the years, but it was recently rebooted into a different type of game. Don't worry about the story (there basically isn't one), but you get 6 levels. Each level has someone you must assassinate in it. You can't just run in and shoot them- there are guards, witnesses, etc. You'll have to work out how. You can change disguises to get into restricted areas, murder people in "accidents" such as drowning them, or having them get hit by an object. There are hundreds of ways of doing it, and each level is detailed enough to present you with many options. It's a slow, patient game, but very rewarding. Once you complete the assissination for a level, you get hundreds of side missions for that level too - assissinating othes, which dramatically changes how you'll approach the level.

Hitman is part of the Xbox Game Pass as well, so if you sign up you can try it for free.

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-pass

I'd heavily recommend at least trying this pass, because some of the games in it are excellent. Games to look at:

• Wolfenstein
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • The Division
  • Tomb Raider
  • Hitman
  • Doom
I'd recommend playing all of those games personally. Doom is especially old school fun. Wolfenstein is great fun too. The Division got a hard time by the community, but I loved it.
I apprecaite the detailed response! I actually got 1 month free of the gamepass so i am definitely going to try out these games and see how i like them!

I will be reading up about the other games above (forza/red dead) after work today

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Not a problem at all. If you have any questions, just ask.

Little bit more info - Wolfenstein is brilliant fun. A reboot of the old 90s game. Based on alternate history, steam punk world war 2. Some good humour and brilliant gun play.

Doom is similar. Based on the original but with modern graphics. No real story - just you, your shotgun and deamons. And dear lord it’s fun. It’s fun in an old school way. Both of these are in the game pass and worth a good.

The Division is a modern dooms day scenario. Large scale biological attack on New York has killed many and you’re part of a team to try and restore order to the city. It says it’s online co-op, and technically it is, but it can be played on your own fully (that’s what I did).

Reactions: npolly0212

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I apprecaite the detailed response! I actually got 1 month free of the gamepass so i am definitely going to try out these games and see how i like them!

I will be reading up about the other games above (forza/red dead) after work today
Hope you’re enjoying yours also. As for Forza I was referring to Forza Motorsport 7. And no it’s definitely not repetitious. There are a lot of different tracks and I can’t even guess how many cars. The cool thing about the cars is that each on handles differently. If you think, like I did at first, that you’ll get used to how to handle a particular car then choose a different one and keep on playing the same way, hell no!!

Each car has its own characteristics so it makes it a lot more challenging. And as mentioned already the game pass is pretty cool. There are a lot of games you can play. And it’s not a trial, you can play the games entirely beginning to end.

Enjoy and good luck

Reactions: npolly0212
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.