Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those with AppleCare+ for your phone, do you use a case?

• I always use a case

Votes: 113 60.4%
  • I never use a case

Votes: 32 17.1%
  • I sometimes use a case

Votes: 42 22.5%

• Total voters

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I bought a new iPhone 15 Pro and the guy at the store suggested I get AppleCare+, so I did since I learned it can be paid monthly. From what it sounds like, if any physical damage happens to the phone, I can get it fixed or replaced. With that, is it worth using a case at all? Seems like I can appreciate the design of the phone without a case since I have AppleCare+. Curious what others do.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I can’t imagine (anymore) using any iPhone without a Loopy Case - regardless if I’m going to drop the phone or not. Using a phone with that case — is sooo much easier

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
This year I just might go naked (never use a case) WITH AppleCare+. I do love the look of the Clay silicone case. My vote was with a case but may change it latter to never use a case, we will see!

lisek99

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
Screen or back glass damage will cost you $29 and any other accidental damage will be $99 so you decide if that is worth it to you. I have AppleCare and I'm still putting screen protector and case on my 15 Pro Max

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I never use a case, but that's a personal decision.

I also follow a pretty strict set of rules to keep my phone in 'like new' condition for the year. Those rules have long since become second nature for me, but I much prefer not using a case, and like having my phone still look like it did the first day I had it.

I wouldn't consider AppleCare+ a replacement for taking good care of your device, though.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I have apple care + with theft and loss protection and still always put a case and a screen protector on my phone. The AppleCare is for the event that I accidentally damage my phone or something happens to it not for me to intentionally risk damaging my phone.

Knightartorias8

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2023
Applecare+ does cover damage that is accidental, cosmetic or under warranty. The former two with a deductible (Applecare Regular does not), BUT you are only allowed two repair cases within a 12 month period, so it is not bottomless. Plus, depending on part availability and speed of service, getting it repaired can range from a couple hours to DAYS without your device, or a lender in hand.

So best to avoid the cost of money and time altogether with a case and screen protector. Not to mention the gas and time it will take to get the device into the store, check-in, and pick up. All of this most likely happening on a week day during or after work.

Reactions: Timpetus

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Hmm, the guy at the Apple Store said it does. I asked him if I dropped it and it got a dent on the side. Looks like there is a deductible but it is very reasonable.
If you dropped it and the screen cracks, then you use your incident and pay $29 for a screen replacement. If you dropped it and put a dent on the side, I doubt Apple will replace that as it's till functional. YMMV depending on who you get I guess.

Knightartorias8

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2023
If you dropped it and the screen cracks, then you use your incident and pay $29 for a screen replacement. If you dropped it and put a dent on the side, I doubt Apple will replace that as it's till functional. YMMV depending on who you get I guess.
Apple will offer a replacement, but enclosure damage is a WUR (Whole unit replacement), still a $29 charge but a backup is recommended/needed since you will get a whole new phone.

Reactions: missingar

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022

I also follow a pretty strict set of rules to keep my phone in 'like new' condition for the year. Those rules have long since become second nature for me, but I much prefer not using a case, and like having my phone still look like it did the first day I had it.

I wouldn't consider AppleCare+ a replacement for taking good care of your device, though.
What are your rules?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I always get AppleCare plus monthly with theft & loss until I get rid of the phone then I can cancel. The coverage is the same. However, if you drop your phone you’ll just have to deal with not having one for quite a while unless you live close to an Apple Store to exchange it. But I would always use a case. Too much cosmetic damage takes place when not using a case. Scratches to the frame, to the optic camera glass, so keeping a case on the iPhone is ideal for me. Plus I get to change them out often because I have several, depending on the look that I want that day. Also, not using a case makes the phone slippery, especially if you have dry hands.

I really like this UAG Monarch pro. Pricey but nice

IMG_2536.jpeg

Last edited:

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
What are your rules?
  • I have a dedicated pocket for my phone (front left, in my case). Only two things go in that pocket: my phone, and my hand. Nothing else, not even paper. Zero decision making on my part.
  • I'm quite judicious about what surfaces I will set my phone down on. Nothing hard or sloped. If I'm at a table and want to set my phone down, I set it on a napkin, or a cloth, or something along those lines.
  • I don't drop it. This may sound flippant, but what this really means is that because I don't use a case, I'm extra mindful about my phone when I've got it in my hand, especially if I'm in a 'risky' situation (e.g., in a crowd, etc) and make sure I keep a good hold on it. I mean, not a death grip or anything uncomfortable, but just being aware that I could be bumped or jostled, so I'm holding it in such a way that it's safe.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I also have not used a case in many years, since probably iPhone 5 or 6. I don’t like the feel of them, and I don’t like how they trap dirt.

Of course I don’t have young children… sometimes practicality overrides desires. And some people LIKE the feel and/or bulk of the case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Vaya con Dios.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
I never use a case, since minor cosmetic damage doesn't bother me and when stuff really goes south then there's AppleCare+.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I always use a case and have for years used Otterbox Defender Pro on my phones. I had real issues the last couple years with the Otterbox Defender Pro that the holsters would not securely latch the phone in and I had several times drops that were not intentional. I contacted Otterbox and they said it was a defective holster and sent me a new one I had to pay shipping cost that kind of peeved me but I got the new holster and it failed just like the first one.

When I got my 15 Pro I declined buying the Otterbox because of the defective holsters and went on Amazon and bought a MyBat Pro Maverick Series case. Has similar protection to the Otterbox at less then one half the cost and the holster has been great I click it the phone int he holster it works.

I also have AppleCare plus but because of the environment I work my retiree hobbies I would never not have a good durable case and screen protector.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if among those with AC+, the percentage of those going caseless is actually lower than among those without AC+. (I’m in the latter group.)

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012

Accidents happen

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Some people never drop their phone, some people always drop their phone.

Me I've dropped mine a few times with no ill effect. I do have AC+

With carriers giving $1000 for a one year old device, the little nicks on the edges of my old iPPM 14 didn't bother me.

puggles

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Going to try caseless and see how it goes. Only have had my Blue PM for a little over 24 hours and the bare titanium is already starting to show

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.