Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

todesto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2015
Fullerton, CA
I had High Sierra and had CAT enabled so that I had handoff working, then decide to install Big Sur using OCLP and got it installed.
(Hugh thanks for developers)
It works nicely but no handoff.

Funny thing is my BT shows handoff supported in system profile and handoff shows in general in preferences.
I even tried to run CAT and says continuity is active but no dice.

Is it even possible to get hand off in my case?

or if I change BT4.0 card, does Handoff / continuity work natively in Big Sur running on my 2011 MBP?

Thanks in advance.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
If I had to guess, Big Sur is showing some menu items you don't expect because you're running on unsupported hardware. If handoff worked on High Sierra, I would probably just leave it there.

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I had a 2011 MBP running the dosdude1 Catalina patcher, and I had handoff and continuity working.

to make this work, there were two things that I needed to do:

1) I got a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle that was compatible with macOS. The brand that I bought was Princeton. See attached.

2) I used some patches and tools provided by the very bright @jackluke. This user made some wonderful programs to enable continuity, airdrop, and handoff on certain macs within the Catalina patcher.

I reckon that you will at least need to upgrade your internal Bluetooth card, or get a 4.0 dongle. It’s much cheaper to get an external usb dongle. If you are going to replace the internal Bluetooth card, you might as well also upgrade the entire logic board to a 2012 board, if you open your computer up to do that.

I think that you should post this question on the “macOS Big Sur on unsupported macs” thread. I bet that someone there can guide you to get this to work.

Attachments

• 9ED7F12E-730E-459B-AD73-AB732444FEBF.jpeg
    9ED7F12E-730E-459B-AD73-AB732444FEBF.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 79

robertjoe

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2022
In this case, Using a Dongle would be a cheaper and easy way than getting it repaired or replaced.

I had a MacBook Pro 2011 running on Mac OS11 - Big Sur.

I had trouble controlling my Mac Mini to use my Magic Trackpad 2 across the room while sitting in my comfortable chair. It will work fine normally but will not work properly if you moved it three inches away.

When I got a external Bluetooth adapter, I reset the Bluetooth in the terminal with the command provided in the instructions, and I plugged the Hideez dongle into an empty USB port. My Magic Trackpad connected straight away, along with Bluetooth headphones at the same time. This is like having a new computer. The Bluetooth is so strong I can go in another room with no dropouts.

Aegon.hunters

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2023
Jl.Peta Selatan, Jakarta
I had High Sierra and had CAT enabled so that I had handoff working, then decide to install Big Sur using OCLP and got it installed.
(Hugh thanks for developers)
It works nicely but no handoff.

Funny thing is my BT shows handoff supported in system profile and handoff shows in general in preferences.
I even tried to run CAT and says continuity is active but no dice.

Is it even possible to get hand off in my case?

or if I change BT4.0 card, does Handoff / continuity work natively in Big Sur running on my 2011 MBP?

Thanks in advance.
Same here . I’ve got this issue on MBP 2012 MD 101 installing Big Sur OCLP.

Airdrop, HandOff not working. In system report showing “airdrop supported” “handoff supported : yes”

Have you fix this issue?

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Same here . I’ve got this issue on MBP 2012 MD 101 installing Big Sur OCLP.

Airdrop, HandOff not working. In system report showing “airdrop supported” “handoff supported : yes”

Have you fix this issue?
First, make sure you are discoverable for airdrop in the finder. Sometimes, we forget to turn that on after a clean install.

Try hand off with multiple devices. For whatever reason, my iPad Air always takes a few days after a clean install to start doing handoff properly with my unsupported mini. My iPhone works immediately.

Aegon.hunters

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2023
Jl.Peta Selatan, Jakarta
First, make sure you are discoverable for airdrop in the finder. Sometimes, we forget to turn that on after a clean install.

Try hand off with multiple devices. For whatever reason, my iPad Air always takes a few days after a clean install to start doing handoff properly with my unsupported mini. My iPhone works immediately.
Okay. I will try. Thank’s.

Any hardware problems of this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.