Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
One thing that's proved very interesting about hacking the iPhone apps onto my iPod touch is how it's demonstrated just how frustrating the iPhone would have been to me as a replacement for my Blackberry (which I got instead of an iPhone after seeing the tariffs O2 were quoting in the UK).

Apart from how shoddy the Mail app is, the next biggie is that the mobile iCal app doesn't support event types. For example, if I create my work and home diary on my iMac, when I sync it onto my iPod they all get mushed together as the same 'type' of event (that is to say, there are no event types).

Even more annoyingly, if I create a whole bunch of new events on my iPod - let's say someone calls me with a series of dates for some work, and I enter them on my iPod - when I sync them back to my computer they all sync as 'home' events and I have to manually go through them to change them.

Why no support for custom event types?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
You asked and answered your own question. You asked the question; why doesn't a version of iCal hacked to work on a device it wasn't designed for not operate properly? The answer is because it's a version of iCal hacked to work on a device it wasn't designed for.

Or did I misunderstand the question?

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
You misunderstand the facts. It's nothing to do with being made to do with something it shouldn't - after all, it's just a case of activating an exisitng capability that Apple de-activated before shipping. The problem I have is that the proper iPhone version doesn't do this either. I downloaded the User Guide for iPhone and checked.

When you enter events on the mobile iCal, there's no option to add an event type. Pffft!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.