Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
So I got stuck at the boot screen for like 30 mins (after JB) and decided to restart the phone and now I have to go through recover mode but its taking forever to complete, how long does it usually take?

it just says "Preparing Iphone for Restore" for the last 40 mins. It already downloaded the update..

Iphone 5
Latest Update.

Last edited:

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
What iPhone? Are you trying to restore to 7.0.4?

I'm using the Iphone 5 and had the latest update, I was doing the jailbreak, but I noticed it got stuck on the boot screen so I did a DFU restore.

The restore is taking long or is stuck. It just says " Preparing Iphone for Restore". Is it safe to disconnect and try again?

phalanx7621

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
This exact same thing happened to me, and I'm in the same boat. I tried jailbreaking (i'm on 7.0.4) , the jail break was successfull, but after it rebooted the final time it got stuck on the apple logo. So, after not being able to do anything else, and googling and finding OTHER people had the same thing happen to them, I chose to do a restore. I saw in a few articles that the jail break wasn't workin for people who do over the air updates for the last few updates, so I went into itunes and downloaded the latest (7.0.4) and went through the process of trying to restore. AAaand it just....won't do it. I hit restore, it goes through the process of unpacking the firmware in itunes, and then goes to "preparing iphone for restore", and reboots it into what LOOKS like DFU mode. And then it just sits there. Forever. IF ANYONE has any answers, please post them here.

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
This exact same thing happened to me, and I'm in the same boat. I tried jailbreaking (i'm on 7.0.4) , the jail break was successfull, but after it rebooted the final time it got stuck on the apple logo. So, after not being able to do anything else, and googling and finding OTHER people had the same thing happen to them, I chose to do a restore. I saw in a few articles that the jail break wasn't workin for people who do over the air updates for the last few updates, so I went into itunes and downloaded the latest (7.0.4) and went through the process of trying to restore. AAaand it just....won't do it. I hit restore, it goes through the process of unpacking the firmware in itunes, and then goes to "preparing iphone for restore", and reboots it into what LOOKS like DFU mode. And then it just sits there. Forever. IF ANYONE has any answers, please post them here.
Yeah same problem here.

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Just fixed it, make sure the itunes logo appears on your phone screen and then restore your phone on PC.

Should work then. DFU wont do it.

phalanx7621

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
Just fixed it, make sure the itunes logo appears on your phone screen and then restore your phone on PC.

Should work then. DFU wont do it.

How long did it take for you? When I do it in recovery mode I've left it there for over 40 minutes and it does nothing except stays in "preparing iphone" status. Did it take a long time for you then?

Chargr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
How long did it take for you? When I do it in recovery mode I've left it there for over 40 minutes and it does nothing except stays in "preparing iphone" status. Did it take a long time for you then?

Make sure the itune logo is on your iphone screen (and NOT a black scree, NO DFU mode) and then you should be able to restore your phone easily.

Took about 20 mins.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Either way should work (unless something strange is occurring). If you dowoaded the ipsw file, hold down shift when you click on restore in iTunes. Then manually select the ipsw file. Make sure you downloaded the correct version for your device.

If you didn't download the file, no worries as it's not absolutely necessary. Just makes it easier because otherwise the restore process will take forever because it has to download the ~800mb ipsw file for you.

Personally, I like to download them manually so the actual restore process doesn't take forever.

phalanx7621

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
Yeah I have tried this 8 times now. I'm starting to get a little worried, as I haven't done anything to the phone besides jail breaking to make it act like this. Tons of people have used this jail break so its not like I look at that as being the issue here.but anyway,I boot into recovery mode. Start up iTunes. Shift click on restore and pick the latest and correct version for my phone, 7.0.4, the same version I was on before . it extracts the firmware, and then starts preparing the iPhone for recovery. It reboots it into a blank screen but you can see the back light is lit a little. And it just sits there. Forever. Preparing the iPhone for restore. I've let it go for an hour at one point.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah I have tried this 8 times now. I'm starting to get a little worried, as I haven't done anything to the phone besides jail breaking to make it act like this. Tons of people have used this jail break so its not like I look at that as being the issue here.but anyway,I boot into recovery mode. Start up iTunes. Shift click on restore and pick the latest and correct version for my phone, 7.0.4, the same version I was on before . it extracts the firmware, and then starts preparing the iPhone for recovery. It reboots it into a blank screen but you can see the back light is lit a little. And it just sits there. Forever. Preparing the iPhone for restore. I've let it go for an hour at one point.

Have you tried putting the device in DFU mode first before shift clicking restore? Sounds like you are just shifting clicking restore. I'd definitely try DFU mode first if you haven't tried it yet.

phalanx7621

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
Have you tried putting the device in DFU mode first before shift clicking restore? Sounds like you are just shifting clicking restore. I'd definitely try DFU mode first if you haven't tried it yet.

Yup, I tried that several times as well. It sees it in DFU mode, I do the same thing as the other times, but it never kicks the device out of dfu mode or anything. Just sits there and gets stuck on preparing iPhone for restore. :-(

phalanx7621

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2013
I have fixed my issue. I installed a fresh copy of windows XP on an old laptop, did all the updates, installed iTunes fresh, and restore is going as expected now. Thanks for all those who helped and suggested. ;-)

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I have fixed my issue. I installed a fresh copy of windows XP on an old laptop, did all the updates, installed iTunes fresh, and restore is going as expected now. Thanks for all those who helped and suggested. ;-)

Awesome. Glad you got it sorted out and it's now working :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.