Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Other than from navigation companies such as TomTom, what kind of applications make use of the GPS included with the 3G version? I'm sure an app that finds local restaurants and other sites based on your location, but anything else?

I'm sure iPhone owners can comment on this.

I can tether with my current smartphone, so I'm just looking to see if there would be any use for the GPS addition for me.

Thanks!

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
The applications such as Around Me tell you any sort of category of business around your location. Google Maps would be most accurate with the GPS. The Google app now applies the Google Local service to your search results using your location.

It seems that so many apps are asking for location aware data these days. The streaming radio apps ask for location to give you a 'local station' list. The social networking apps poll for location so you can post your current location. MobileMe's Find My iPad service will be most accurate when dealing with the built-in GPS.

The better astronomy applications will poll GPS and the compass to set up the viewing screen. The weather apps poll the GPS for location to automatically set up the radar and forecast. Apps like CNN set up a locally oriented newsfeed for you based on your current location.

Is that enough?

I'm tethering as well so the only reason I'm getting the 3G is for the GPS.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
You might want to take a look at "MotionX GPS". It comes the closest to being a pure GPS unit. It will also make good use of the magnetometer in the 3G unit as well.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
You might want to take a look at "MotionX GPS". It comes the closest to being a pure GPS unit. It will also make good use of the magnetometer in the 3G unit as well.

Here here! They make good stuff and they are definitely working on iPad native versions of their software as well. Hopefully, it'll be ready for the 3G launch.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
We won't know until users have it in hands, but I wonder if the data plan is required to be active to use the GPS.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
We won't know until users have it in hands, but I wonder if the data plan is required to be active to use the GPS.

You shouldn't need a data plan to run GPS. GPS signal is not via cellphone towers. If you have maps already loaded onto your iPad, you should be able to use it for T-b-T directions. However, Apps that use the GPS for location, like "Around Me" will require a data plan because you'll need to load the data for the app.

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK
I'll second those. I use Around Me all the time, its great. MotionX GPS is good too, i use it while walking and cycling, sometimes even on my motorbike.

nj-mac-user

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
TX
You shouldn't need a data plan to run GPS. GPS signal is not via cellphone towers. If you have maps already loaded onto your iPad, you should be able to use it for T-b-T directions. However, Apps that use the GPS for location, like "Around Me" will require a data plan because you'll need to load the data for the app.

Don't forget, it's AGPS as in "Assisted" GPS. I believe that is why the wifi only version doesn't have GPS along with the ipod touch's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.