Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zqbobs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Is it possible to extract GPS coordinates from photos received by Messages on a Mac? I see some contradictory statements online. So far, I'm not able to see any way to do it.

I understand the privacy concern - is location always stripped by Messages for that reason? Can it be overridden by settings at the sender's end, e.g. on an iPhone?

What about photos as attachments in Mail on Mac?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Just make sure "Location" is enabled on the sender side.
Then on the receiving Mac you can see the location where the picture has been taken (I used Preview.app to check it).

Attachments

• gps1.png
    gps1.png
    542.1 KB · Views: 39
  • gps2.png
    gps2.png
    384.3 KB · Views: 45
  • gps3.png
    gps3.png
    347.9 KB · Views: 36

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Yes, it's possible to see the GPS info if the photo was sent via iMessage and the sender opted to include it. Open the photo using Preview, then go to Tools -> Show Inspector. Or add it to your Photos library and look at the info there. (Note: I'm using Ventura in case things are different in High Sierra.)

As for other things like regular text messages and email, it's usually up to the service provider. Some may strip out that info, others may not.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Can it be overridden by settings at the sender's end, e.g. on an iPhone?
On a Mac, there is a setting within Photos.app-->Preferences-->General-->Sharing to include (or not) location information. Not sure what the default is, though.

Oddly, I can't find an equivalent setting in iOS! (I'm on iOS 15 still.)
EDIT: Oops, found it in Privacy-->Location Services-Messages.

EDIT again: No, that setting seems to be for Messages app to get your current (not a photo) location. Hmm.

Screen Shot 2023-07-13 at 12.55.46 PM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.