Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eolian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Anyone have experience with the Dual XGPS cradles for the iPhone Touch?

They look like a nice option.

Dual says it's in testing with 4th Gen now, which would be sweet with Topos (for one), makes me hope it's gonna happen sometime soon.

Are there any other GPS adapters that have worked well for folks you'd recommend?

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Anyone have experience with the Dual XGPS cradles for the iPhone Touch?

They look like a nice option.

Dual says it's in testing with 4th Gen now, which would be sweet with Topos (for one), makes me hope it's gonna happen sometime soon.

Are there any other GPS adapters that have worked well for folks you'd recommend?

I looked into this a few months back, and I kept having to face the fact that picking up a refurb'd Garmin 255W for under $90 was probably a better use of my money. I do hope they come up with something that works well with the touch, and also comes in at under $100.

Eolian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I looked into this a few months back, and I kept having to face the fact that picking up a refurb'd Garmin 255W for under $90 was probably a better use of my money. I do hope they come up with something that works well with the touch, and also comes in at under $100.

Agreed. I can see where your choice makes sense for a lot of applications, driving routes in particular.

What I'm hoping for is the ability to (relatively) precisely locate objects in the field on high-resolution maps. The app mentioned above does a great job of serving these, I'm just missing the accurate GPS piece. And I know that may not happen on a Touch :(

But, hey, I'm continuously amazed but what I'm finding this thing can do :D

I'll research it a bit further; if anybody has other GPS adapter info please chime in.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Agreed. I can see where your choice makes sense for a lot of applications, driving routes in particular.

What I'm hoping for is the ability to (relatively) precisely locate objects in the field on high-resolution maps. The app mentioned above does a great job of serving these, I'm just missing the accurate GPS piece. And I know that may not happen on a Touch :(

But, hey, I'm continuously amazed but what I'm finding this thing can do :D

I'll research it a bit further; if anybody has other GPS adapter info please chime in.

I think over time the lines between iPod and iPhone will blur the more 3rd party stuff becomes available. The drawback I found in my research for GPS units that work with the touch, is that a lot of GPS apps use 3G data as well as GPS information. The 3G data is the part where we iPod touch users just don't have a way to add that. Unless someone eventually comes up with a 3G/GPS cradle that you pay monthly for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.