Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdesigns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Guys I have a question, I have a HTC Hero with built in GPS, I noticed that when I use the HTC HERO as a hotspot the ipad gets location only via triangulation, and it's less acurate than using wifi on my home.

Is there any way via bluetooth or wifi to be able to transfer the real GPS data and internet from the phone to the ipad? and not only the internet data?

I just don't want to buy the ipad 3G just because of the GPS, its worth it but If I can go around and use my phone as the GPS data provider I wont need the 3G version.

I want to implement this ipad on my car, that's why I ask.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
OP,
I have wondered this myself, as I will be inheriting an iphone 3g when the new ones come out. I don't have the need for 3g on the iPad, but would like to have the option of working GPS. 130$ (price of 3g/gps) + cost of good GPS app with built in maps = more than I wish to pay for it.

It seems unlikely, and from what I can find in regards to tethering from an iphone to a laptop running windows or OSx, it isn't yet been made possible to transfer a gps signal.

My only thought is since the wifi model can mimic gps by using router locations, would exact location data constantly update on your phone (which would be tethered), and in essence provide a pretty close estimate of your location to the iPad?

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
RoqyBT can do this on jailbroken ipod touches when used with actual bluetooth gps.

you'd need to see if there was an app for your htc that will output the GPS via bluetooth.

Ive tried this with my nokia symbian phone and an app but the output is not compatible (yet)

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
no it will not work.

the way the wifi position works on the ipad is that there is a database of wifi access points gathered by skyhook wireless.

they essentially drive around and plot wifi access points on a map and assign a location to each one.

so the idea of an iphone or 3G access point providing GPS data is incorrect. skyhook would have had to insert the position of your iphone running mywi into their database. which would not help because the access point is always being moved around.

some companies like tomtom have developed an external GPS receiver that connects to the dock connector. this will provide GPS positioning. as for maps the 3G modem would provide map data for google maps or some navigation apps will have maps stored locally on the device so no internet connection is required.

xROBERTxDAVISx

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
Is there a way to get the 3g from my sony Aino to work with the ipad , as in creating the 3g into wifi ?? I can power internet on mac's with it via blue tooth so was wondering if anyone knows a way of doing this and has an app name or something (preferably cheap or free) and for it to work with the ipad if possible?

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
does anyone know if there is a Bluetooth profile for external GPS units, like the Pharos BT GPS receiver?

There isn't any Bluetooth Profile. Bluetooth GPS devices typically use SPP (Serial Port Profile) along with software or a driver that you have to install on the computer you will be connecting from.

As somebody else pointed out above, there are (jailbreak) third-party apps that can do this with specific Bluetooth GPS devices. The software has to be written to accommodate the specific device, because there is no standard way to format the data over the emulated serial port.

It should be possible to write non-jailbreak apps as well, since Apple has a developer program for devices that communicate via the dock or Bluetooth. For example, the TomTom app can use their own external GPS receiver connected through the dock.

You are dreaming if you think the iPad is going to use the GPS in your phone, though. For starters, you phone would have to expose the GPS through Bluetooth, which is pretty unlikely. Then you'd have to have an app that supports your particular phone, or at least the data format that it uses over the Bluetooth connection.

cdesigns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Ok today I did a test today with my HTC HERO phone providing the wifi connection to my ipad while I was driving, and google maps GPS position was was working but not very acurate. I drove on a empty street with no houses around, the ipad was only receiving data from my phone only.

I have GPS MOTION X, and GPS MOTION DRIVE, both received GPS signal but it showed as triangulation only.

I definitely want a real GPS on my ipad, so I guess I will be selling my wifi and getting the 3G to get the real gps chip on it.

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
There isn't any Bluetooth Profile. Bluetooth GPS devices typically use SPP (Serial Port Profile) along with software or a driver that you have to install on the computer you will be connecting from.

As somebody else pointed out above, there are (jailbreak) third-party apps that can do this with specific Bluetooth GPS devices. The software has to be written to accommodate the specific device, because there is no standard way to format the data over the emulated serial port.

It should be possible to write non-jailbreak apps as well, since Apple has a developer program for devices that communicate via the dock or Bluetooth. For example, the TomTom app can use their own external GPS receiver connected through the dock.

You are dreaming if you think the iPad is going to use the GPS in your phone, though. For starters, you phone would have to expose the GPS through Bluetooth, which is pretty unlikely. Then you'd have to have an app that supports your particular phone, or at least the data format that it uses over the Bluetooth connection.

ACTUALLY.... doing something like this wouldn't be all that terribly difficult....

Write an app for the iPHONE the hooks into the Location service. (which is stupid simple) and using the Game API allows the iPad to connect to the phone via Wifi or BT. Have another app on the iPad that also makes the game API data connection to the phone. Phone sends data across to the pad for the GPS lat/lon/alt info.

The problem is that there's no way to push that INTO the IPad's Location Service API's, so any app that was written (like the Map) to use the standard location service API won't see the data coming across. But custom apps written to connect to the iPhone and get it that way should be able to do so just fine.

Whether Apple would allow them is another matter entirely...

cdesigns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
ACTUALLY.... doing something like this wouldn't be all that terribly difficult....

Write an app for the iPHONE the hooks into the Location service. (which is stupid simple) and using the Game API allows the iPad to connect to the phone via Wifi or BT. Have another app on the iPad that also makes the game API data connection to the phone. Phone sends data across to the pad for the GPS lat/lon/alt info.

The problem is that there's no way to push that INTO the IPad's Location Service API's, so any app that was written (like the Map) to use the standard location service API won't see the data coming across. But custom apps written to connect to the iPhone and get it that way should be able to do so just fine.

Whether Apple would allow them is another matter entirely...

we need the dev team to start working on the jailbreak and create apps that could make this work :)

edcrusher

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
already done

Sorry for reviving an ol thread, this is pretty easy,

on iphone 3g(s), u need mywi and veency

on ipad any vnc viewer

conect ipad to iphone using mywi, then connect to the iphone using vnc viewer, Done!!

now 2x the iphone screen and you have the ip gps on you ipad.

pretty ez!! , get xgps on your iphone, this app really rocks and its free.

globality

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Guys I have a question, I have a HTC Hero with built in GPS, I noticed that when I use the HTC HERO as a hotspot the ipad gets location only via triangulation, and it's less acurate than using wifi on my home.

Is there any way via bluetooth or wifi to be able to transfer the real GPS data and internet from the phone to the ipad? and not only the internet data?

I just don't want to buy the ipad 3G just because of the GPS, its worth it but If I can go around and use my phone as the GPS data provider I wont need the 3G version.

I want to implement this ipad on my car, that's why I ask.
Check this out!
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127600&ipad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.