Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I'd like an app that simply collected GPS data while I rode my bike and then let me grab that data and overlay it on a map of some kind when I got done. I've been using Everytrail during my bike rides, and it works ok, but I'd love to pass my track data over to google maps and see where all I went.

Is there something out there that fits my needs?

Cubsfan

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
I use iTrail. You can export kml to import into google maps or gpx to import into google earth.

RunKeeper would also work, but it quite a bit more expensive.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

have you uploaded your tracks to the everytrail website? As that uses google maps to display the tracks. And you can export to gpx & kml...

BikeRanger

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
MapMyRide app on the way

If you're familar with MapMyRide.com, they are finishing an iPhone app now. It records your ride and uploads it to their site where it's overlaid on Google Maps. On the website, you can also make training plans and other fitness-related stuff and export rides to KML. You can import from KML, GPX and Garmin. There's MapMyRun for runners, too.

My understanding is the iPhone app will be free and will not require a paid site membership -- but I'm not certain about that. The site's free membership level is fine for casual cyclists.

The app is in beta now, so it shouldnt be far off.

[No, I don't work for them. I am testing the app though.]

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I'd like an app that simply collected GPS data while I rode my bike and then let me grab that data and overlay it on a map of some kind when I got done. I've been using Everytrail during my bike rides, and it works ok, but I'd love to pass my track data over to google maps and see where all I went.

Is there something out there that fits my needs?

"GPS Tracker" would work perfectly for this.

Oxxy

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2008
Path Tracker works great. The GUI isn't the prettiest but it does the job. Maps you path overlaid on a map and uploads it to there website where you can view details

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

There's a new app coming soon from MapMyRide.com. Can't remember the link. They're doing one for mapmyrun.com as well. Google for "imapmy iPhone app". Looks like it may be what you're after.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007

ah. The link is imapmy.com

calvy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
thanks for all the replies. I didn't realize so many apps already did what I wanted. And Everytrail seems to do it just fine, I just had to sign up for an account. I hadn't uploaded anything yet. It's not 100% accurate when overlayed on the google map, but it's close enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.