Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mickeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
I guess I have ruined the partition table.

Recently I have booted inside my bootcamp win8.1 partition.
I would like to have an extra partition for both windows and mac use so I created one in Windows Disk management tool

Then once it is created. I can no longer boot into mac partition....

I guess I have ruined the partition table. Anyone has any idea to deal with it?

Thanks very much!

Last edited:

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Boot into Mac Recovery and use the Disk Utility there? Can't really say much about how to recover unless we know what 'before' and 'after' look like. If you actually formatted a new filesystem on Windows then I'm guessing you'll have to re-install the Mac side which might lead you to having to re-install the BootCamp side.

Using the Mac Disk Utility tool can resize Mac filesystems and re-partition. But the Windows tool isn't going to know anything about Mac filesystems. So if you are attempting to resize a partition with a Mac filesystem, you'll need to do that on the Mac side.

mickeo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Boot into Mac Recovery and use the Disk Utility there? Can't really say much about how to recover unless we know what 'before' and 'after' look like. If you actually formatted a new filesystem on Windows then I'm guessing you'll have to re-install the Mac side which might lead you to having to re-install the BootCamp side.

Using the Mac Disk Utility tool can resize Mac filesystems and re-partition. But the Windows tool isn't going to know anything about Mac filesystems. So if you are attempting to resize a partition with a Mac filesystem, you'll need to do that on the Mac side.

Thanks mfram for your reply!
I have fixed the problem right now. It may help someone who has similar situation.

In my case I couldn't use Disk Utility as even the recovery partition is not recognised correctly... It recognised my Mac and recovery partition as Windows Data format and my bootcamp partition as HFS format... I have no idea y it can be such messy

Luckily I have an external bootable mac drive. I can use the Disk Utility from that partition... that doesn't help much. What I can know is that the partition formats are incorrect (as mentioned in last paragraph)

After searching for a quite a while online, I installed gdisk and tried a few commands. http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
Finally I found the change type command and set the correct format. Reboot and now it can be recognised again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.