Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloober2099

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2020
Hello all:

Im new to the group and I trust all are well. Need your help with something. I have the following specs on my comp and I want to
buy the full version of Davinci Resolve and edit on 4k since I will be shooting with fuji xh-1 in 4k and even recording, at times, 4k 120fps.

System info:

Mac Pro 3,1
Running Mojave (via DOSDUDE Patcher)
GPU: EVGA GTX 680(Mac Edition; Metal; 2Gb)
32 Gigs of Ram

If the card struggles a tad but gets the job done then I have no problem with that as I dont mind waiting for rendering as my projects will not be longer than 5 minutes since I will be making videos for listings. If I need to get a better GPU, can someone recommend a step up that will satisfy Davinci Resolve? If you also know if my specs will work with FILMORA I would also appreciate that feedback as well although Id rather go with Davinci. I have read that the 4GB GPU is not that much better than the GPU that I have.

Thank you in advance to all for your feedback.

Best.

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2020
Im new to the group and I trust all are well. Need your help with something. I have the following specs on my comp and I want to buy the full version of Davinci Resolve and edit on 4k since I will be shooting with fuji xh-1 in 4k and even recording, at times, 4k 120fps.

System info:

Mac Pro 3,1
Running Mojave (via DOSDUDE Patcher)
GPU: EVGA GTX 680(Mac Edition; Metal; 2Gb)
32 Gigs of Ram

If the card struggles a tad but gets the job done then I have no problem with that as I dont mind waiting for rendering as my projects will not be longer than 5 minutes since I will be making videos for listings. If I need to get a better GPU, can someone recommend a step up that will satisfy Davinci Resolve? If you also know if my specs will work with FILMORA I would also appreciate that feedback as well although Id rather go with Davinci. I have read that the 4GB GPU is not that much better than the GPU that I have.
I'm thinking of switching to DaVinci too. It's been a while since your post. What did you end up doing and how's it working out for you? Did you make any changes/additions to your system?

I have a Razor Core X Chroma with a Radeon 5700XT (8GB) as an eGPU. It's not cheap but certainly outshines the Vega56 that's in my iMac Pro (being used for FCPX at the moment). I think it's not supported in Mojave though.

cloober2099

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2020
I'm thinking of switching to DaVinci too. It's been a while since your post. What did you end up doing and how's it working out for you? Did you make any changes/additions to your system?

I have a Razor Core X Chroma with a Radeon 5700XT (8GB) as an eGPU. It's not cheap but certainly outshines the Vega56 that's in my iMac Pro (being used for FCPX at the moment). I think it's not supported in Mojave though.
Sorry to respond so late into the game here. I ended up getting a radeon 570 (8Gb).. My other photography editing programs render crazy fast and zip on through with no problem. With Filmora though, It takes up to 5 minutes for the program to load which I think is inexcusable to be honest considering I dont have a slow comp at all and more than enough RAM (32gb) for this problem even to be happening. I think as of this coming Monday Ill switch to Resolve. It just seems that the programing is smoother and the tech support from what I read and hear is much better..

Have you made any changes as far as editing systems at all?

Thank you and hope to read your next response

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.