Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
New York
I currently have the Apple Radeon Pro W5700X in my 7,1. I use it with a Pro Display XDR. I want to upgrade to a Radeon 6900X.

Since I am using the Pro Display XDR (6k @ 60Hz) over ThunderBolt, am I basically locked in to using the Radeon Pro W6900X MPX Module and paying $6,000 for the same GPU Newegg will sell me for $1,200? Are there any third party cards that have a ThunderBolt port on the GPU that I can use with the XDR? Any other solutions?

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
The sonnet 6900xt claims to work with the XDR. I’m not sure if the alt-DP over usbc (I assume that’s what’s going on) can deliver the 6k resolution of the XDR. Theoretically it should, but I have neither that monitor nor that GPU.

Reactions: pellets007

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Nice, I just looked at it and it looks like it will fit the bill. That is a much cheaper option! I just hit up their support team to inquire. I might go for that one and just keep the W5700X in there, considering it's like a fifth the price Apple wants. :oops:

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Got back from support and here was the response:

The port will drive the Apple XDR Display at its default resolution, 3008x1692, the same as a native Apple Thunderbolt port would drive it.
The interpolation to 6k is fantastic. You have to make a heroic effort to change this to full 6K resolution. We have asked several professionals to set the Apple XDR at full 6K resolution, and they unanimously said that full 6k makes the display unusable.

The XDR USB 3 ports, which rely on having Thunderbolt, will not work.

Hmm. :confused:

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
New York
The way I interpreted was that it’ll work no problem just without the USB ports on the back. I think his comment on 6K was referring to the fact that no one drives it at that resolution without scaling, but you could if you wanted to?

Seems like a decent option but I like having the ports in the back. I’ll probably buy an overpriced MPX 6800 after WWDC (hoping for a price drop ?).

Reactions: modlife

modlife

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2022
Pamplona, Spain
Yeah I understood the same, I’m ok without the usb ports but I wonder if the usb-c port working at 6k is exclusive of this card or if any of the 6000 series card with usb-c port will work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.