Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
I upgraded my CPU, but the GPU temperature is higher than before, and the temperatures are quite different between the two, 10 degrees difference.

I planed to renew the GPU thermal paste, but could't find the right screwdriver, so I stopped, but I did loosen the retention bracket of GPU A (the one without SSD). Then I put all the screws back.

Maybe now I need redo the work.
Untitled.png

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For such an old machine. Once you loose the retention bracket, the dried thermal paste may break a bit, and allow some air (insulator) to get it. Even you screw down the retention bracket again, the gap / crack is already there, and that will degrade the cooling ability.

So far, that temperature looks OK as long as you don't stress the GPU. But you better fix it ASAP.

Reactions: MoerBoer

mac_Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
I did repaste the GPU yesterday, but I found that it has nothing to do with temperature difference.
Interesting is that after reboot, the difference is still about 10 degrees, then later ( maybe more than 1 hour) the difference is gone.

I forgot to take the temperatures before the upgrade, so maybe it is just normal, D700 produces more heat than D500 and D300, even just browsing the internet.

mac_Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
I think I'm wrong, now the #2 GPU in slot 2 is still 10 degree higher than #1

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I forgot to take the temperatures before the upgrade, so maybe it is just normal, D700 produces more heat than D500 and D300, even just browsing the internet.
If you haven't record the original temperature as reference. There is no way to tell if the temperature is really "higher than before".

Anyway, GPU B is the rendering GPU, GPU A is for compute only.

So, when there is no compute job, GPU A will stay at low power state. On the other hand, GPU B should be powering at lease one monitor. It should be warmer than GPU A.

If you want to know GPU has proper cooling or not, you may run Unigine Heaven (GPU B only) / Luxmark (boot GPU A and B) to stress the GPU, and monitor their temperature. For HD7970 (same device ID as D700), it should stay below 85°C.

mac_Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2023
I run the Unigine Heaven benchmark yesterday, the GPU 2 diode reached 83°C. Then I did a clean install of macos, during the installation, the computer is hot. After the installation, the temperature becomes normal. During the normal use (fan speed is 1100rpm), the temp for GPU 2 diode is around 45°C.

Then I run the Unigine Heaven benchmark again, this time the highest temp for GPU 2 diode is 73°C, for GPU 1 diode is 54°C. (fan speed is 1100rpm)

So, why does a clean install solve the problem?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I run the Unigine Heaven benchmark yesterday, the GPU 2 diode reached 83°C. Then I did a clean install of macos, during the installation, the computer is hot. After the installation, the temperature becomes normal. During the normal use (fan speed is 1100rpm), the temp for GPU 2 diode is around 45°C.

Then I run the Unigine Heaven benchmark again, this time the highest temp for GPU 2 diode is 73°C, for GPU 1 diode is 54°C. (fan speed is 1100rpm)

So, why does a clean install solve the problem?
I don't think the clean installation actually solved the issue. But there were something running in the background in your first test, which increased the cooling system's workload.

The thermal core has to cool down all CPU and GPU at the same time. Which means, a warmer CPU will actually increase the GPU temperature.

Anyway, 83°C is fine. And it is a known issue that the thermal core is strong enough to cool down the 6,1 if all CPU and both D700 are under max stress.

You may run Luxmark, and use the "CPU + GPU" option. Then most likely you will see the GPU 2 reach 83°C again (or even higher).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.