Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
My Mac Pro mid 2012 has a 1080 TI in it and its having an issue that arose lately where the gpu fans wont spin when it gets hot. Works fine in windows but in mac the fans wont spin and it eventually overheats. I remedied it temporarily by putting a fan in front of it. Is there a way i can manually adjust the gpu fans or something to make them spin like in evga precision x1? I'm using 10.13.6

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Guess the gpu is flashed badly with a wrong bios.

Maybe the fans are bad. Check it by spinning them with the finger, they should run even and easily.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
Guess the gpu is flashed badly with a wrong bios.

Maybe the fans are bad. Check it by spinning them with the finger, they should run even and easily.
they do, it was running fine until a couple days ago its a 1080 TI Kingpin edition non flashed and using the normal bios configuration.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Well, when they spin in Windows they should be ok, tho.

Have you installed an OS Update in the last days?

to troubleshoot I would take a spare drive and install clean High Sierra on it. Dont store back an update cause it could contain an error.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
Well, when they spin in Windows they should be ok, tho.

Have you installed an OS Update in the last days?

to troubleshoot I would take a spare drive and install clean High Sierra on it. Dont store back an update cause it could contain an error.
I have not recently installed an update. Would sending in my video card to macvidcards to be flashed make them spin in OSX?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
If i'm not mistaken there's a BIOS switch on the card with 3 possible settings.
If so, you could switch to another setting and see if that works running Mac OS.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
If i'm not mistaken there's a BIOS switch on the card with 3 possible settings.
If so, you could switch to another setting and see if that works running Mac OS.
i tried that it didn't work, i think the card is completely fried now though. Wont boot under windows or mac and i completely redid the thermal pads and thermal paste on the gpu. RIP, stuck with a 970 now with a crappy gpu market. ?

• Wow
Reactions: KeesMacPro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.