Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logic21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
Has anyone else experienced this very strange graphics issue with the new MacBook Pro 15" with touchbar? This happened when I was working in Adobe Premiere CC 2017. Upon reboot, the screen would then flicker almost as if it was a low refresh rate. I've included a photo of what the screen looks like when this occurs.

This happened a total of 3 times in the past 4 days. Apple is willing to get me a new computer no questions asked however I'm not sure if a new computer will fix the issue. Just wanted to see how many other people are having this same or similar issue before I go through with a new machine.

Screenshot_11_28_16__1_43_PM.jpg

[doublepost=1480366798][/doublepost]This is the only connection I could find so far...

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...eporting-gpu-glitches-are-you-one-of-them.htm
[doublepost=1480367063][/doublepost]And here is the full specs of my unit along with another link

15-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray

Configuration

• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz

• 16GB 2133MHz memory

• Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

• 2TB PCIe-based SSD

• Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

• Touch Bar and Touch ID

• Force Touch trackpad

• FINAL CUT PRO 065-C171 NONE

• LOGIC PRO 065-C172 NONE

• Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

• Accessory Kit

9to5 Mac Link:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/28/2016-macbook-pro-gpu-problems-poll/

Last edited:

BiteSizeThumb

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2016
This seems to be an issue specifically with the Radeon Pro 460 models. I've ran some extensive 4K video rendering and editing on my 455 and it seems to be able to handle it without bugging out. Does anyone else with a 450 or 455 have the same issue as the OP?

Reactions: logic21

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
There are related threads on this forum concerning this issue.

If perhaps instances with other models, each of the GPUs in the 2016 MBP have been affected to some extent; however the 460 possibly more so.

There seems no determination yet whether this is hardware or software related.

9TO5 Mac has an article and poll concerning this issue:

Reactions: Mike84 and logic21

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
dunno anything about this particular device (mine's still in the mail)

but in my experience borking a lot of GPUs in my life, any time you see wild colours and 8-bit-video-game-esque glitching, she's borked

Reactions: logic21

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Has anyone else experienced this very strange graphics issue with the new MacBook Pro 15" with touchbar? This happened when I was working in Adobe Premiere CC 2017. Upon reboot, the screen would then flicker almost as if it was a low refresh rate. I've included a photo of what the screen looks like when this occurs.

This happened a total of 3 times in the past 4 days. Apple is willing to get me a new computer no questions asked however I'm not sure if a new computer will fix the issue. Just wanted to see how many other people are having this same or similar issue before I go through with a new machine.

View attachment 675137
[doublepost=1480366798][/doublepost]This is the only connection I could find so far...

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...eporting-gpu-glitches-are-you-one-of-them.htm
[doublepost=1480367063][/doublepost]And here is the full specs of my unit along with another link

15-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray

Configuration

• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz

• 16GB 2133MHz memory

• Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

• 2TB PCIe-based SSD

• Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

• Touch Bar and Touch ID

• Force Touch trackpad

• FINAL CUT PRO 065-C171 NONE

• LOGIC PRO 065-C172 NONE

• Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

• Accessory Kit

9to5 Mac Link:

This is an issue with Adobe, it screws up the MacBook until you do a NVRAM reset. If you open Adobe premier it will end up screwing the graphics again. I believe it has something to do with the Adobe media encoder.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
There have been a few issues cropping up; you're certainly not alone.

However to reassure you, it is hardware related, so a new machine should fix the issue. :)
Please post confirmation it's hardware-related? I'm inclined to think so too given the nature of the glitches, but I have not seen any solid confirmation that it's strictly hardware so that would be helpful for reference.

This seems to be an issue specifically with the Radeon Pro 460 models. I've ran some extensive 4K video rendering and editing on my 455 and it seems to be able to handle it without bugging out. Does anyone else with a 450 or 455 have the same issue as the OP?
It's likely that it's happening more with the 460 because that's what most people ended up buying. I think that big GPU glitch thread had owners of even the 450/455 reporting it as well.

logic21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016
This is an issue with Adobe, it screws up the MacBook until you do a NVRAM reset. If you open Adobe premier it will end up screwing the graphics again. I believe it has something to do with the Adobe media encoder.

Definitely makes me wonder if it has something to do with Adobe... hopefully people can weight in on Final Cut as to whether they are experiencing something similar. So does the NVRAM reset fix it permanently?

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX

Yes. From what I understand this graphics issue ONLY presents itself after running Adobe software...namely Adobe Premiere, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Media Editor. It does not appear to be an issue with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. Only Adobe video applications. So basically it sounds like Adobe needs to update their software to resolve the issue. I have been hesitant to even buy a new 2016 MBP after seeing/hearing these reports about how severe the issue is, even though I don't run these Adobe apps. I do run Photoshop...version 6, so it would be important to me to know 100% that there are no issues with Photoshop. Thanks.

Reactions: Marshall73

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I have used Photoshop extensively and haven't had any issues with the GPU glitch. It seems to be only premiere for me.

Yup, thats what we found too, Photoshop and InDesign are fine, anything that uses media encoder and boom, display goes haywire. Have run various games now which have tasked the cpu and GPU heavily, running temps up with no issues so its not faulty chips.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I have a 13 inch touch bar model and I have the same issue whenever I unlock my Mac after it hasn't been used in a while. The only Adobe product I have installed is Adobe Flash.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
FWIW, I have a 13tb 3.3/16/512 and had to do a small 1080p edit in premiere, export in media encoder (both 2017 versions) and then DVD authoring in Encore (last available version) and it worked perfectly with no glitches at all. FileVault is enabled. I know it's not the same hardware without the Radeon, but just putting this out there.

Reactions: Thanos812007

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
FWIW, I have a 13tb 3.3/16/512 and had to do a small 1080p edit in premiere, export in media encoder (both 2017 versions) and then DVD authoring in Encore (last available version) and it worked perfectly with no glitches at all. FileVault is enabled. I know it's not the same hardware without the Radeon, but just putting this out there.

It only happens with AMD cards. (Although it has happened with nVidia cards previously)
[doublepost=1480445454][/doublepost]
I have a 13 inch touch bar model and I have the same issue whenever I unlock my Mac after it hasn't been used in a while. The only Adobe product I have installed is Adobe Flash.

The glitch when unlocking is to do with FileVault. Happens on most macs.

SRTM

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2011
I am getting green/red flashing when watching youtube videos. Would that be a GPU issue?

Reactions: jhettz

Soundevolution

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
I never used anything Adobe but it happens on my maxed out MacBook Pro TB as well. I have the 460 graphics.

When I do heavy usage (3D PCB design) it doesn't give a glitch. But randomly without any heavy use, I get below. As well on my external screen as well the internal retina display.

I have called with Apple. They where very helpful but so far not aware if this is widespread problem. They offered a replacement but I don't think that will solve it. So Apple agreed to extend my return period with one month and hopefully there is a SW fix by then or Apple acknowledge it is a hardware problem.

Attachments

• screen fail1.jpeg
    screen fail1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 495
  • screenfail2.jpeg
    screenfail2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 430

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I never used anything Adobe but it happens on my maxed out MacBook Pro TB as well. I have the 460 graphics.

When I do heavy usage (3D PCB design) it doesn't give a glitch. But randomly without any heavy use, I get below. As well on my external screen as well the internal retina display.

I have called with Apple. They where very helpful but so far not aware if this is widespread problem. They offered a replacement but I don't think that will solve it. So Apple agreed to extend my return period with one month and hopefully there is a SW fix by then or Apple acknowledge it is a hardware problem.

I used to get that with Parallels on my Retina iMac, binned Parallels and went to VMWare Fusion. Would happen everytime I ran Logmein to connect to a remote system when I had a VM open in Parallels. As the retina iMac also has AMD graphics it's probably something to do with the drivers.

Last edited:

deadserious

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
I too am having this issue with my brand new, maxed out version of the MacBook Pro 15" w/ Touchbar. While processing video in adobe premiere my screen freezes in different colors and I have to restart the entire computer. See video. Apple has sent me a new one, which I received today. I will be testing it tonight to see if the new one does the same thing.

deadserious

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
Just received my second 2016 MacBook Pro 15" fully loaded computer to replace the first faulty freezing unit. One hour after setting up, and 5 minutes after starting to process video with Adobe Premiere Pro, the computer crashed, froze, and acted the same as the first. You have got to be kidding me!!!! How can a company as big as Apple not find this before shipping?

Reactions: flowave

anferro

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2016
Just received my second 2016 MacBook Pro 15" fully loaded computer to replace the first faulty freezing unit. One hour after setting up, and 5 minutes after starting to process video with Adobe Premiere Pro, the computer crashed, froze, and acted the same as the first. You have got to be kidding me!!!! How can a company as big as Apple not find this before shipping?

Encoding with Opencl?. Try other setting, Metal and only software, in project settings.

Maybe is necessary a Premiere update. Adobe problem?.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris

Because it appears to be a Premiere issue and as Adobe Creative Cloud updates are frequent then bugs like this could occur after Apple ended the hardware test phase.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I too am having this issue with my brand new, maxed out version of the MacBook Pro 15" w/ Touchbar. While processing video in adobe premiere my screen freezes in different colors and I have to restart the entire computer. See video. Apple has sent me a new one, which I received today. I will be testing it tonight to see if the new one does the same thing.

That's just your laptop alerting you that it is receiving cosmic microwave background radiation. :D

logic21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2016

Just curious, did you restore your new MBP with time capsule? If so, did you install Premiere fresh or did you use Premiere that was already installed with that time capsule backup? I uninstalled Premiere that was on my backup and re-installed it and I haven't had any issues in two days. It would be interesting to see if this would help your situation...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.