Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
I’m currently running a MacPro 5,1 (2009 with firmware update), 6-core, 2x2.26 Quad-Core, 64GB Ram. I finally got a hold of a Radeon RX 570. Was able to install High Sierra (with firmware update). And installed the RX 570. Not flashed for Mac, so no boot screen. But otherwise works fine. I kept my original GPU in there, with no issues. And it’s always good to have an extra GPU just in case, at least that’s my thought. And I actually use it to connect my second monitor. While the RX 570 connects to my primary monitor. However, when I try to upgrade to Mojave, it says that ALL GPU’s installed must be Metal capable. So now I have to remove the original GPU.

However, because I can’t use the original GPU to connect my second monitor, I have to connect it to the RX 570 as well. Unfortunately for me, I got the RX 570 second hand. And the DVI seems to be damaged. Getting a pink tint on the second monitor (did a swap with primary and same pink tint). So I connected it via HDMI, and my primary monitor via Displayport. All seems to be working fine, except for an issue with the displayport connection on the primary monitor. Where some parts of texts of folder/file names looks like it’s got minor glitch effect. A little out of phase, with some discoloration. Still readable, but not crisp. But text on a browser looks fine. Images look ok as well. All displayports cause this. When I switch it to HDMI, it looks fine. So I don’t know if all the displayports on the RX 570 are damaged too (and only the HDMI port works on this GPU), or if it’s because it’s not completely compatible with my Mac Pro.

That is one issue. But the main thing I‘m posting about, is if there is a workaround where I can keep my original GPU, along with the RX 570, and still be able to upgrade to Mojave, and continue to use both GPU’s. Or, with my system, is it even worth upgrading to Mojave? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.