Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z11111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
Hi all,

Long time lurker here.

We have a 5,1 Pro tower at my work and we're looking to get a new GPU to replace the ATI Radeon HD 5770 card with something a bit beefier. Trying to get the most life out of the machine so we're doing whatever upgrades we can and planning to do a clean install of 10.11 on an SSD (system drive is currently on a HDD). Machine is running with two 3.46ghz 6-core xeon processors and 32gb of RAM.

We're sort of locked in on 10.11 El Capitan because we are running Avid Pro Tools 12.5.2, which is fully supported only up to El Capitan and it's working fine as-is so no reason to potentially break the program by upgrading to a new version of OSX.

I've done a bit of research but I realize I'm looking at outdated information. Was looking into the Sapphire RX 580 but turns out it doesn't get along with El Capitan. Other info I've found is for the GTX860 and R9-280X being a possible contender. There seem to be a few of these used Mac flashed cards available on ebay and amazon for around $200, not sure if it's worth it to get one cheaper and try flashing myself? I've also read some topics about the Sapphire RX 560 working? I'm just really not sure - I seem to be getting a lot of mixed info.

Was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this and could recommend a card that is compatible on a 5,1 and 10.11 without requiring too much effort to get it working.

tl;dr: want a new GPU for MP 5,1 on El Capitan 10.11 and do NOT want to upgrade OSX.

Really appreciate it!

Last edited:

z11111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2019
Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I did check this out extensively and found it to be very helpful. Just looking to see if anyone can recommend one over the other and likewise if it's worth purchasing a pre-flashed card or save a lot and buy a regular used one and flash it myself. Definitely new to this.
With El Capitan, you don't have better other options besides NVIDIA GTX 680 or AMD HD 7950 (HD 7970/R9-280x).

If you want to flash yourself, the best bet is a GTX 680 - easiest to flash and just a 5' job with Windows. Read both topics:

Confirmed and Possible Flashable GTX680 Models
Step-by-Step Instructions for Flashing GTX680

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.