Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Alright, I've had this issue for a little while and I've gotten fed up enough to ask for help.

A few weeks ago, I had my GTX 660 replaced via EVGA RMA, and since I've acquired the latest functioning GPU, I cannot seem to get it to wake from sleep under OS X. There is NO wake from sleep issue under Windoze, oddly enough. Of course, it's a PC card, I am running 10.9.3 on my 3,1 with the card in PCIe Slot 1.

Attempts to Fix:

- Updated to the Web Driver
- Repaired System Permissions
- Ran Maintenance Scripts
- Moved Card to PCIe Slot 2
- Switched Power Connector on Motherboard from 1 to 2

All to no avail. Would appreciate any suggestions or help.

Thanks as always,
-N

~~~~~~~~~~

Resolved. Bought another GTX 660, running two monitors off one, one off the other. No issues now. Weird.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Do you have another GPU known to work that you can test with?

Has this GPU model ever work properly with regards to sleep/wake functions or did you go for an upgrade and still trying to work out the kinks?

I'm not quite clear on what you mean by "I've acquired the latest functioning GPU". Do you mean you replaced the 660 with another 660 or something else?

Last edited:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Do you have another GPU known to work hat you can test with?

Has this GPU model ever work properly with regards to sleep/wake functions or did you go for an upgrade and still trying to work out the kinks?

I have never had this issue before with my previous two GTX 660s, or my Geforce 405, or my Radeon 2600 XT. In fact, my previous two 660s were flawless apart from the fact that they died on me.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have never had this issue before with my previous two GTX 660s, or my Geforce 405, or my Radeon 2600 XT. In fact, my previous two 660s were flawless apart from the fact that they died on me.

Do you have one of those working cards around so that you can confirm that the problem only exists with this particular GPU, to eliminate the possibility that something else has changed?

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Do you have one of those working cards around so that you can confirm that the problem only exists with this particular GPU, to eliminate the possibility that something else has changed?

I am still getting the issue with the 405, which makes me thing it's something with the NVIDIA settings/drivers/cache/etc.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I would do a good backup of the current state, then using the 405 (assuming you have archived backups) restore back to a time when you didn't have the problem. If the issue goes away with the 405, then try the 660 card again. If the problem is gone when using the 660 with the older configuration , it shouldn't be o hard to track down the culprit.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
No issue with the Geforce 405, but unfortunately, that's the only card I have access to at the moment. My Radeon is in my 1,1 at work and can't be borrowed for a bit. I would safely assume that it's a card issue, but this will be the 3rd 660 in my tower in a month. At this point, I've just been using my MacBook when I need a quick use, but having to shut down is a deterrent from using my Mac Pro at the moment. Any simple fixes from anyone out there?

Thanks for the help.

-N

EDIT:

Also having this issue under Windoze. Won't even sleep at all - displays go dark and fans stay on, can't wake displays back up.

Last edited:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Sorry for the delay, have been quite busy. This morning I installed a fresh install of 10.9.3 on a spare drive, same issue. Which means it's probably an issue with my GPU. I'm wondering if it's a universal issue now, or just in my 3,1... I guess the next step is to throw it in my Hackintosh and see if that will wake from sleep. Any thoughts?

IceMacMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
I've had the same problem over the last few months and I NEVER experienced that before.

I have to shut down every night. I bought a 680 from MacVideoCards guy...it's not a "blessed" card. I do get a boot screen but I suspect that my sleep issue relates the to the GPU.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Leave it to EVGA to RMA me ANOTHER faulty card. Same issue on my Hack. Sigh. Not even sure if it's worth getting it replaced, so much hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.