Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Ok, I'm not sure this change happened in High Sierra or possibly a previous version. I just upgraded from Yosemite to HS and just noticed a change in the Grab App that I was very happy to see! Before I upgraded, when I would do a screen capture with Grab APP, the files would always be captured at a .TIFF file! This is something I've seen many people complain about over the years.

Well, I just did a screen capture with Grab and when I went to save the file, I noticed it was already a .Jpeg! Woo hoo!

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Ok, I'm not sure this change happened in High Sierra or possibly a previous version. I just upgraded from Yosemite to HS and just noticed a change in the Grab App that I was very happy to see! Before I upgraded, when I would do a screen capture with Grab APP, the files would always be captured at a .TIFF file! This is something I've seen many people complain about over the years.

Well, I just did a screen capture with Grab and when I went to save the file, I noticed it was already a .Jpeg! Woo hoo!
If you drop down the box when saving you have three option, PNG, TIIF or JPEG. Grab remembers the format last used.

Reactions: h9826790

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I recently discovered ( here ) that Preview's file menu ( at the bottom ) has the "Take a screen shot" option and allows saving as PNG JPED TIFF and pdf. Quite similar to Grab but no "timed screen".

But yes, nice to see teh change in Hi Sierra's Grab. Should have been there since Mountain Lion.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
If you drop down the box when saving you have three option, PNG, TIIF or JPEG. Grab remembers the format last used.

Even better!
[doublepost=1513438326][/doublepost]
I recently discovered ( here ) that Preview's file menu ( at the bottom ) has the "Take a screen shot" option and allows saving as PNG JPED TIFF and pdf. Quite similar to Grab but no "timed screen".

But yes, nice to see teh change in Hi Sierra's Grab. Should have been there since Mountain Lion.

Sometimes the small changes are the best! :)

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Does anyone know if there's a way to control the format of screenshots taken using the keyboard Command-Shift-3 and Command-Shift-4 actions? These default to PNG, but I'm wondering if there's a properties file hidden away somewhere that has settings that control the output format given that these other methods of taking screenshots have this flexibility.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Does anyone know if there's a way to control the format of screenshots taken using the keyboard Command-Shift-3 and Command-Shift-4 actions? These default to PNG, but I'm wondering if there's a properties file hidden away somewhere that has settings that control the output format given that these other methods of taking screenshots have this flexibility.

This was from a few versions ago so not sure it would still work: http://osxdaily.com/2010/08/16/change-the-screenshot-capture-file-format/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.