Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
I don't understand.

If most iPad Pro OLED displays are fine, but a small portion have grain issues, the buyer should return it for a model that doesn't, and Apple should fix quality control so there isn't a drastic panel lottery.

Thats it.
I am sorry if I did not convey my meaning properly. If anyone feels disappointed by their display, they should return it ASAP. Again, if it is obvious during normal use something is wrong, and Apple will swap your device. My personal unit does not show the dithering pattern during normal use. The only time I can see it is only under VERY specific circumstances and even then, it is so faint that even when pointed out to other people, they cannot see it. I've only seen 2 iPad pro's. My own and my wife's, they both have the dithering problem, but it is so minor, that I would not consider returning or exchanging them. If you see the issue and it bothers you, then by all means go ahead and get it exchanged/returned.

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
For me, it’s very hard to see. In a dark room on the iPad in dark mode 6” from my face and can’t see it at all. The screen is great overall.

My only frustration with the grain/mura is actually not with apple but with reviewers.

In depth screen analysis, discussion of trade offs between different panels or tech options, measurement of panel quality including this mura/grain, are all things I would expect from a review.

Instead we just get “looks good” which yeah it does but tell me something about the product I can’t tell myself within 2 seconds of using it!
That is an excellent point. The influencer's "reviews" are so meaningless and lack any objective information. Even now I would like to know more hard facts about the display and the new tandem oled technology. How is panel uniformity, what downsides come with the tandem OLED tech if any. Yet no one is writing about that. I miss the days of written reviews. Nowadays everything is all flash and no substance.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
I thought I noticed this on the ones I looked at in the Apple Store today and even checked to see if it was the nano display and it was not. I just rote it off as my imagination and forgot about it. Now I've seen a couple of other reports on the web in regards to this. I just picked up the 11" 1TB cellular that cost a pretty penny but thinking of not even opening it and returning if this becomes more of an apparent issue. Anyone else seeing this up close?

Update:setup my 11 and I do not see this issue at all.
Graingate

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
That is an excellent point. The influencer's "reviews" are so meaningless and lack any objective information. Even now I would like to know more hard facts about the display and the new tandem oled technology. How is panel uniformity, what downsides come with the tandem OLED tech if any. Yet no one is writing about that. I miss the days of written reviews. Nowadays everything is all flash and no substance.
I think the real in-depths reviews take more time and will come later. I‘m sure Vincent from HDTV Test will take a look at the screen as well at some point.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
I am sorry if I did not convey my meaning properly. If anyone feels disappointed by their display, they should return it ASAP. Again, if it is obvious during normal use something is wrong, and Apple will swap your device. My personal unit does not show the dithering pattern during normal use. The only time I can see it is only under VERY specific circumstances and even then, it is so faint that even when pointed out to other people, they cannot see it. I've only seen 2 iPad pro's. My own and my wife's, they both have the dithering problem, but it is so minor, that I would not consider returning or exchanging them. If you see the issue and it bothers you, then by all means go ahead and get it exchanged/returned.
Thanks for clarifying. The confusion in this thread seems to be in the differences of experience.
  • OLED grain is inevitable to the technology, even if undetectable during normal viewing
  • But its possible some devices have more grain than usual due to manufacturing variances and poor quality control (eg. some Samsung panels)
So Group 2 are disappointed because of a bad panel lottery, but Group 1 have a normal panel and think, "Oh this? Its not that big a deal unless you look very closely and in the dark. So maybe just put up with it and stop complaining."

I don't think people in Group 1 should voice their opinions on the matter, telling people in Group 2 how to feel, since Group 1 aren't actually affected (presumably).

jlevy73

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Indeed. I miss the days of Anandtech in-depth analysis.

IllusiveMan

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2018
I’m getting this weird grainy/shadow effect on pretty much my entire iPad. Text is more noticeable though
IMG_0661.jpeg

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008

Indeed. I miss the days of Anandtech in-depth analysis.
RTINGS has excellent reviews for TVs and monitors and laptops, but unfortunately no reviews of phones or tablets.

Reactions: Executor

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2021
Its me or the screen of my new 11 pro it has a yellowish tint in it? I compared it to the 12.9 M2 and the difference is day and night. Like the 12.9 looks bright blue (the normal color for screens) and this one it seems that has a bluelight filter

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I don't understand.

If most iPad Pro OLED displays are fine, but a small portion have grain issues, the buyer should return it for a model that doesn't, and Apple should fix quality control so there isn't a drastic panel lottery.

Thats it.
its clear you don’t understand. you have a fear that it’s a manufacturing issue, that even if true has zero practical implication, but it’s just as likely it’s a limitation of the technology that is highly subjective and only evident under a very contrived situation. For some reason you feel the need to turn this into a crusade when at this point it’s all speculation.

• Haha
Reactions: deaglecat

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Its me or the screen of my new 11 pro it has a yellowish tint in it? I compared it to the 12.9 M2 and the difference is day and night. Like the 12.9 looks bright blue (the normal color for screens) and this one it seems that has a bluelight filter

Did you check TrueTone?

nkarach

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
check out the other thread and my images

I returned mine due to very warm/yellow screen.

Others have had same issue and have had better luck with a replacement unit.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Get in a dark room, enable dark mode, set brightness around 40%, then open up battery in settings and see if you can notice it with the graphs, etc.

Pro photographers and video editors generally edit in light controlled (read: low light) rooms

light controlled is NOT the same as ’dark room’, even if you try to equate the two by calling it ‘low light.’ It’s light enough so that everything around you is clear, you can take notes, and your pupils don’t over dilate. And that’s my point, people cite the need to be in a dark room. Photographers don’t work in dark rooms. Well, not if they aren’t developing film.
And thats beside the point. If a photographer is looking at work, and can't tell as clear a difference between grain and noise, thats not good
No it’s exactly the point. most people who cite this issue cite the screen looks fine unless in a dark room. Photographers aren’t in a dark room.

Why that is difficult to sympathize with, is surprising for a supposed photographer.

no idea why you dragged photography into this in the first place, seems a stretch, but right now you’re just speculating it’s a quality control issue when there is no solid evidence it is and others suggesting it may be something more innocent. So when the day comes that it’s a documented issue with recall or other corrective action for the effected devices, then I will sympathize for anyone with an affected panel that didn’t return it after testing it out for their purpose. But for now, I urge folks to evaluate their devices for themselves and if they find a flaw under normal condition, return it.

the sky isn’t falling down.

Reactions: Executor

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
My 13 inch is really good. I actually returned an Alienware OLED PC monitor in January because of text fringing.

There are often problems with text and straight lines showing fringes on OLED, and this was a big concern for me before buying. This is the best OLED display I have seen.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
check out the other thread and my images

I returned mine due to very warm/yellow screen.

Others have had same issue and have had better luck with a replacement unit.
Why didn't you take a picture from straight on?

Most displays have quite a bit of color shift when viewed from a steep angle.

Off-axis color shift is a real issue as well, but it's not the same issue as inaccurate white balance when viewed from straight on.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
The green display tint in sunlight is really annoying. It’s nowhere near this bad on iPhone. I’ve seen this from other OLED displays in the past so it’s not unique to the iPad but irritating nonetheless.

PaperMag

macrumors regular
May 13, 2023
its clear you don’t understand. you have a fear that it’s a manufacturing issue, that even if true has zero practical implication, but it’s just as likely it’s a limitation of the technology that is highly subjective and only evident under a very contrived situation. For some reason you feel the need to turn this into a crusade when at this point it’s all speculation.
I didn't understand the sentiment behind the comment I was responding to. We worked it out.

Good try though 👍

Reactions: kevindick217

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Uh oh, I’m noticing it too. It’s not completely unpleasant—it looks like an ultrafine film grain—except for the fact that this thing was $1600 and it shouldn’t be there.

I noticed it yesterday in a dark room on the grey elements of the music app. Haven’t seen it so far today but will check tonight.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Just for giggles, I went into a pitch black room and tried different screen brightness levels, especially looking at grays. I personally still don't see anything.

Reactions: asleep
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.