Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
I'm running a tripple SLI Titan X setup.

Was going to replace it with one 3090 last year, but they were hard to get and mine was DOA. The seller didn't want to replace it, got my money back from the credit card company and I didn't want to pursue it any more. it's a real hazzle to exchange and test GPUs in a water loop.

Next year the machine is going to be replaced and I'll probably opt for a new RDNA3 based GPU from AMD, since I'll buy an AMD CPU as well. It'll also probably be the first computer that I don't built myself since decades. Getting old.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm running a tripple SLI Titan X setup.

Was going to replace it with one 3090 last year, but they were hard to get and mine was DOA. The seller didn't want to replace it, got my money back from the credit card company and I didn't want to pursue it any more. it's a real hazzle to exchange and test GPUs in a water loop.

Next year the machine is going to be replaced and I'll probably opt for a new RDNA3 based GPU from AMD, since I'll buy an AMD CPU as well. It'll also probably be the first computer that I don't built myself since decades. Getting old.

I plan on keep using my 2070 until I start to notice it struggling. So far, no. Have prices come down significantly?

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
I plan on keep using my 2070 until I start to notice it struggling. So far, no. Have prices come down significantly?

Prices are still outrageous in my view.

Maybe after the holiday season. Also, if the recession keeps on going, crypto might become even cheaper and then it's less worth for miners to buy GPUs.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
AMD cards are coming down in price in the new market, for whatever reason Nvidia cards are not coming down as much.

In the used market I think pricing is coming down more. I wouldn't look to getting this years GPU's at a reduced price. Nvidia is purposefully limiting stock of the 4090, and is likely to do the same for the 4080 until 30-series stock is much lower.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Prices are still outrageous in my view.
Like life, there's many layers to that perspective. What is being reported for the past couple (few?) months is that the price of GPUs are dropping and dropping quickly. Not the 40 series from Nvidia of course but the 30 series and AMD.

The bottom fell out of the crypto market and demand dried up, so for used cards you can find amazing deals. On the new GPU front, retailers and AIBs suddenly have inventory that they have to get rid of - good news for us consumers.

I'll probably sit and wait until black friday to see if anything tickles my fancy, I have been waiting and I can continue to wait

Reactions: dmr727

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Like life, there's many layers to that perspective. What is being reported for the past couple (few?) months is that the price of GPUs are dropping and dropping quickly. Not the 40 series from Nvidia of course but the 30 series and AMD.

The bottom fell out of the crypto market and demand dried up, so for used cards you can find amazing deals. On the new GPU front, retailers and AIBs suddenly have inventory that they have to get rid of - good news for us consumers.

I'll probably sit and wait until black friday to see if anything tickles my fancy, I have been waiting and I can continue to wait
ehhh, I don't think BF deals are going to be as good as folk hope, especially since it is just the higher tier cards that are getting replaced this year. It will push pricing down the stack, but probably not as much as folks think (especially on the nvidia side). Even neweggs early BF deals are meh

Reactions: maflynn

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC

I'm in the same boat. Still rocking a tired GTX 1060 on my home desktop, and while I definitely need to crank down the settings in more modern games, I'm not so hard core that it really matters. If I can get 60+fps I'm generally happy.

That said I've been peeking over the fence a bit to see if something like a 3070 can be had for less than $500. I'm also curious to see what AMD does with their RDNA 3 midrange cards. Like you, I have nothing but time - just glad to see the prices come down a little.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'm in the same boat. Still rocking a tired GTX 1060 on my home desktop, and while I definitely need to crank down the settings in more modern games, I'm not so hard core that it really matters. If I can get 60+fps I'm generally happy.

That said I've been peeking over the fence a bit to see if something like a 3070 can be had for less than $500. I'm also curious to see what AMD does with their RDNA 3 midrange cards. Like you, I have nothing but time - just glad to see the prices come down a little.

Depends on the games you play. Here's how the 1060 stacks up to newer GPUs. For this particular game, 6800 which is going for ~$480 hangs with the former $1600 msrp 3090ti. 6800xt is even better at ~$50 more.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2561-cod-modern-warfare-2-benchmark/
1667852987443.png

Reactions: Irishman

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Way early for that diagnosis.

From a quality-of-life aspect the AMD cards are already better. Miles cheaper, don't require a weird expensive ass power supply that requires a bizarre 12 pin connector (a connector that's melting mind you) and isn't so big that it needs supports to keep it from falling off the motherboard.

And Nvidia said Moore's Law was "dead"

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
From a quality-of-life aspect the AMD cards are already better. Miles cheaper, don't require a weird expensive ass power supply that requires a bizarre 12 pin connector (a connector that's melting mind you) and isn't so big that it needs supports to keep it from falling off the motherboard.

All that may be true, but folks are still going to buy Nvidia over AMD because that is what happens.

Reactions: max2

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I’ve owned both brands of cards, but my last 3 were/are Nvidia. And I like the GeForce experience. But due to crazy prices, I’d be willing to go back to AMD when it’s time for a new card. 🤔

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I’ve owned both brands of cards, but my last 3 were/are Nvidia. And I like the GeForce experience. But due to crazy prices, I’d be willing to go back to AMD when it’s time for a new card. 🤔

Using a Steam Deck all year, I'm in love with AMD cards now. I'm already planning to go Ryzen for next PC, but it's looking like an AMD GPU will also be in the pipeline for the future build

Reactions: l0stl0rd and Huntn

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It'll be interesting to see the benchmarks once everyone's midrange cards are released. Don't care one way or another whether I have AMD or Nvidia in my machine - whatever makes the most sense from a price/performance standpoint, and increasingly a power consumption one as well. Apple has really ruined me for fan noise!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
It'll be interesting to see the benchmarks once everyone's midrange cards are released. Don't care one way or another whether I have AMD or Nvidia in my machine - whatever makes the most sense from a price/performance standpoint, and increasingly a power consumption one as well. Apple has really ruined me for fan noise!
cf04e5c45ac91.jpg
What do you guys think about Intels assesment of the (current gen) lineups?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Apple has really ruined me for fan noise!

Do you have a Mac Studio? Nuts they haven't narrowed down if it's airflow whistling (which I suspect), coil whine or bad fans. If it was me I'd mill out the vent holes on the back into horizontal slits to eliminate airflow whistling since people have reported to reduce or eliminate the whine by taping the left side of vent holes or about one inch on both sides.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...o-be-one-of-the-loudest-macs-at-idle.2337251/

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I have three 4090s on the way. Should arrive next week. One will be single GPU, the other two dual GPU setup. Dealer informed me that there will be very little space between the two cards and between the card and the case. So I’ll have to check if I run into issues with airflow. If so, will have to go AIO liquid cooling.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I have three 4090s on the way. Should arrive next week. One will be single GPU, the other two dual GPU setup. Dealer informed me that there will be very little space between the two cards and between the card and the case. So I’ll have to check if I run into issues with airflow. If so, will have to go AIO liquid cooling.
make sure you plug the 16pin all the way in....

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
My Windows systems currently contain an EVGA 3060 Ti (that I spent almost a year waiting for), a Founders Edition 3060 Ti, and an EVGA 2060.

None of the three have been turned on in about two months. PS5 has usurped them all - it isn't a chore to use and maintain. The PS5 UI, though not great (PS3 was the king), doesn't make me angry which is nice too.

There is a Blackmagic RX580 on one of my Macs, but I gave up on Mac gaming years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.