Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baldung99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Why am I even getting graphical glitxhes like that during boot? All I did was swap out the hard drive...

EDIT: Guess the RAM decided to an hero at some point. Just had to swap a stick out and all appears to be well.

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_142725.jpg
    IMG_20240410_142725.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Baldung99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Does it happen on an external display? Have you tried other OSes?
Yes it happens on an external display. I tried it with a live Debian USB. It took a moment but I got similar glitches right after the graphics mode selection.

Baldung99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Put the original drive BACK IN (yes, I understand that "it's work").

Do the glitches disappear ??
... actually? Yes they continue. Both SSDs are fine according to HD Sentinel, so unless I zapped the logic board with an errant static discharge I seriously don't know what even is going on.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
... actually? Yes they continue. Both SSDs are fine according to HD Sentinel, so unless I zapped the logic board with an errant static discharge I seriously don't know what even is going on.
I can think of two factors that could have caused it. #1 During HDD replacement, you may have interacted with the screen hinge bracket. You may boot up your Mac and move the hinge / display cable package or screen a bit to see if the graphic artifact changes. If it doesn’t change most likely it’s the GPU chip on the mainboard. I have also the MBP 2010 (17‘). My GPU chip was resoldered once after 5 years. The first repair worked for two years. Than it happened again and I bought a refurb mainboard that still works. There are several places out there that do both, resolver and replace mainboards.
Check out videos like this one to find other videos for your issue:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What SIZE in the 2010 MBP?

Seems that I've read that the 15" and 17" models can have GPU problems.

And like arcite suggests, after 14 years... might be time to start shopping for a replacement.

Reactions: MacPowerLvr

Baldung99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
OP:

What SIZE in the 2010 MBP?

Seems that I've read that the 15" and 17" models can have GPU problems.

And like arcite suggests, after 14 years... might be time to start shopping for a replacement.
It's the 13" model as I've mentioned in the title

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.